Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

It's unfortunate that people are such jerks and so nasty, and yes, I agree that border control is definitely extreme. That said, this sort of travel is a concern when there are suggestions/directives for people to just stay home already and not travel unnecessarily -- especially if they are from the hot spots. Their leaving their states isn't going to protect them from the virus, especially if they already have it. And if they do have it, they increase the chances of spreading it in their new location when they go food shopping to stock up their summer homes, for instance.

My parents live year-round in a small beach town in Rhode Island, and my mom got really nervous the other day seeing all the summer people start coming early. Most of the cars at her little market were from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. She decided against shopping there. Our governor here in Connecticut has asked anybody coming from other states to self-quarantine for 14 days, but I seriously doubt these people would do that since they flouted the directives from their own states to stay put in the first place. What all of this does is also increase the risk that medical facilities will be overwhelmed if the number of cases starts to increase because of the influx of people from elsewhere. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I worry about my parents, as they are in the risky category with their ages.

Florida is in a similar situation with the tourists continuing to flock here. The governor did say that people from the NE should self quarantine for 14 days but so far I don't think it is being enforced. He still will not lock down the state.

I think I’m more annoyed at the nasty attitudes. As if everyone in that particular town is following protocol. They act like they are all living in this protective bubble when they have no idea who might be leaving the state themselves and bringing back the virus. Not to mention the ones who aren’t practicing social distancing.
In these last 3 days, i've been paying attention to teens' behaviour (all local adolescents who are hanging with each other and enjoying freedom from schools and colleges). There are so much of them everywhere, that i couldn't continue ignoring them. They are constantly hugging and kissing each other, and what's the worst,- they are leaning on all possible surfaces and literally wiping these surfaces with their faces.:yuck: (They are lying on public benches with their face down, they are poking glass windows of kiosks with their noses, they are dabbing tables at small diners, like "Shawarma", with their foreheads, ...etc.). Uuuggghhh...:worms:

• Wow
Reactions: Irene Adler
All the conflicting information that we are being fed is quite confusing at times. The recommendations about how many metres distance between people is one that I'm confronted with every time that I have to go out. I don't understand why it's different depending on which country you live in. I think that the WHO should be giving out a clear message as it's vital to get it right.

Over here it's only 1 metre which to my mind, is not enough.

The recommendation of 1.5 metres is not only based on our knowledge of influenza, it is also a practical distance that allows us to go about our daily lives.
Obviously it’s not a precise measurement, nor is it absolutely guaranteed to prevent spread. But that approximate distance is better than no distance.
The lack of scientific rigour behind these recommendations is borne out in the varied advice from around the world.
The UK’s National Health Service recommends people with symptoms stay at least 2 metres away from others.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends everybody should “put distance between yourself and other people”.
Finally, the World Health Organisation advises to keep at least 1 metre between you and anyone coughing and sneezing.

So you get the general idea. Don’t get close.

Coronavirus: why should we stay 1.5 metres away from each other?
Hello Shyvas

When I went out to get the parent's essentials, we all had to queue 2 metres apart outside the supermarket, and there were lines marked on the floor all along the aisles. Queued half an hour. In the lobby there was a spray pump of anti-bacterial cleaner so we all sprayed our trolley handles and wiped with disposable paper towels. After shopping, had to queue in one aisle next to each marked line, and guided to till so only one person at a time was at till, and then exit. Couldn't go back in if you forgot something as aisle blocked to exit. Or you'd have to queue again! I felt safer, but, still uncomfortable being in a place with other people. They were delibrately limiting the number of people they were letting in, and staff were wearing gloves.

:( Don't understand why all countries aren't the same.

Hello Shyvas

When I went out to get the parent's essentials, we all had to queue 2 metres apart outside the supermarket, and there were lines marked on the floor all along the aisles. Queued half an hour. In the lobby there was a spray pump of anti-bacterial cleaner so we all sprayed our trolley handles and wiped with disposable paper towels. After shopping, had to queue in one aisle next to each marked line, and guided to till so only one person at a time was at till, and then exit. Couldn't go back in if you forgot something as aisle blocked to exit. Or you'd have to queue again! I felt safer, but, still uncomfortable being in a place with other people. They were delibrately limiting the number of people they were letting in, and staff were wearing gloves.

Over here people are not too disciplined. I don't get the difference between the distance that is required that differs from country to country. One metre is not enough and the man behind me was certainly much closer to me.

I'm trying not to go out for the next two weeks as I think that it's easy to catch the virus at supermarkets.

Over here people are not too disciplined. I don't get the difference between the distance that is required that differs from country to country. One metre is not enough and the man behind me was certainly much closer to me.

I'm trying not to go out for the next two weeks as I think that it's easy to catch the virus at supermarkets.
Me too... but have to get stuff for parents, including prescriptions (another queue with only one person allowed in Chemist's at a time). Tried to joke about it to Dad, had to laugh when he said he would rather go to my funeral than his own!

People in queues over here are literally "sitting on your head"! :yuck:..."MRACHKEE" ("gloomy stuff"). :tinfoilhat:

Reactions: Irene Adler
Here, you are supposed to be socially distanced from anyone you don't normally live with. It seems as though none of my friends realize that means family as well and continue to have their adult children and SOs over for dinners. You really, really shouldn't.

Here, you are supposed to be socially distanced from anyone you don't normally live with. It seems as though none of my friends realize that means family as well and continue to have their adult children and SOs over for dinners. You really, really shouldn't.

So ridiculous. I don't get it.

If you would like to sew yourself or others a mask here is a link to instructions for doing so. Even without a sewing machine I am going to try to make one for each of us. I have enough old tshirts and actually some new white cotton ones still in their package. I will likely put a small coffee filter in between the layers if I go out.

Emma JC

I think I’m more annoyed at the nasty attitudes. As if everyone in that particular town is following protocol. They act like they are all living in this protective bubble when they have no idea who might be leaving the state themselves and bringing back the virus. Not to mention the ones who aren’t practicing social distancing.
Yes, having a nasty attitude serves no purpose. I get that people are coming from a place of fear, but kvetch by yourself, swear a blue streak into a pillow or something. If people feel compelled to comment on something, they ought to consider waiting 10 seconds before hitting the send button. Many people seem to lack any civility, compassion or empathy anymore.

RE: the out-of-staters. I'm guessing many people who are coming here aren't self-quarantining for 14 days before they take off for another state, since they have no problem ignoring the stay-at-home directives. I'm a complying type of person in situations like this as well, but I can tell by looking at the parking lots of nearby stores that I've seen when I've been out walking that people aren't as compliant. I guess I just lack faith that most people would do the right thing, especially given all the fools who kept going to the beach in Florida and California.

I feel horrible having to go to Rhode Island to take care of my dad. But he only has my sister and me, and he needs us to help. He (and we) can't afford to pay for any outside help, so I have been super careful about not going anywhere I don't have to. I haven't been in a store since I stocked up, and I've gone only to the bank drive-through because I have to deposit my paycheck, which is mailed to me. I don't have the option of direct deposit. Even when I go to my dad's I go to his apartment and back, and that's it. Oh, I've had to get gas, too, but I wear gloves, use hand sanitizer and don't touch anything without gloves or using my sleeve or something.

Hello Shyvas

Our governor just limited store customers to 50 at a time. They are doing the same here with the lines to keep people 6 feet apart in my state. And some stores have put up plexiglass shields between cashiers and shoppers.

Agreed!! I've been FaceTiming with family or just talking on the phone. We have to suck it up for a while!

So I’m kind of seeing the whole thing in a different light thanks to everyone’s input. If I can totally understand that people shouldn’t “vacation”, it stands to reason that just because I’m moving permanently, the fact that I’m still “traveling” to get there isn’t much different. I guess it just feels like “I belong” there so I’m thinking I’m not like a visitor lol. I don’t know. I guess that’s silly now that I think of it. Same with people who have two residences. Staying put means just that, staying put. Of course there are exceptions such as caring for a loved one.

See...conversation can be a good thing, haha. 😊

So I’m kind of seeing the whole thing in a different light thanks to everyone’s input. If I can totally understand that people shouldn’t “vacation”, it stands to reason that just because I’m moving permanently, the fact that I’m still “traveling” to get there isn’t much different. I guess it just feels like “I belong” there so I’m thinking I’m not like a visitor lol. I don’t know. I guess that’s silly now that I think of it. Same with people who have two residences. Staying put means just that, staying put. Of course there are exceptions such as caring for a loved one.

See...conversation can be a good thing, haha. 😊
Yeah, it's the vacationers that really get my goat. They are basically showing up two months early, and I can see why people in those states are freaking out a little bit given the situation. That's unnecessary travel, IMHO. Your moving is a different story. :)

People also need to be told to watch conversations. Like when you round a corner and almost bump into someone it's so automatic to say excuse me, sorry, and that's right in the proximitry you shouldn't!
It's hard at work because we all work together, troubleshooting and stuff. Some people really don't feel distance is going to make a difference, I feel we all should do the best we possible can. '
Again people are out sick a couple days, then come back- then out again. I don't want here "just a cold", "it's bronchitis"---NO you don't know, and face time with a doctor isn't a diagnosis!
Work has just sucked so bad, for more than just this whole virus thing. I really hope we get a good bonus!

People shouldn't be driving around and going to other places (except for an emergency) because they risk having an
accident/need petrol/ and also may make the local hospital overflow if they need medical assistance.
By needing the latter
they may be taking up a hospital bed/ventilator/nurse/doctor when it's needed for a coravnirus patient. They also may be requiring an
ambulance if they have an accident etc.

People shouldn't even be cycling around neither.

We have an extended date for the current lockdown which is the 15 th April.

And some stores have put up plexiglass shields between cashiers and shoppers.
Aha, i couldn't help taking a picture of it this evening. At my first(!) today's visit to Okey mall,- there were no shields; at my evening (2nd!) visit,- i saw this!👇I don't think it helps a lot, but maybe, dozens thousands of customers won't be exhaling their saliva drops directly on poor cashiers, who might infect customers in the future... So, i think, these shields are obligate in big supermarkets, especially during quarantine, because despite that the mall's building and all other shops will be closed,- the grocer itself will continue working, and people will continue panic-buying and "stockpiling". LOL, i never knew this word before (stockpiling), but after hearing it multiple times, every single day on NZ radio, i had to look it up, and now i'm enlightened, haha. I'm actually stockpiling too! (Oh, maybe a little bit).😁
It's written here: "Protective shield taking care of customers and cashiers".
IMG_20200328_005511.jpg

Eeeh... one woman (a customer), who was standing in the queue behind me (quite far from me), said: "Devushka ("girl"), could you let me use your discount card?" ...It's a normal practice in everyday life. But there are no "normal" categories nowadays, so i didn't give her my card, and i looked confused and indecisive. So she said: "It's ok, could you get your card checked one more time, before my purchases go through the scaner?" I said ok, and gave it to the cashier once again. Therefore, that woman got a significant discount due to my card (i'm not greedy), and i didn't have to be afraid of her dirty hands.

People shouldn't be driving around and going to other places (except for an emergency) because they risk having an
accident/need petrol/ and also may make the local hospital overflow if they need medical assistance.
By needing the latter
they may be taking up a hospital bed/ventilator/nurse/doctor when it's needed for a coravnirus patient. They also may be requiring an
ambulance if they have an accident etc.

People shouldn't even be cycling around neither.

We have an extended date for the current lockdown which is the 15 th April.
My sister was saying the same thing about people who are traveling to New Hampshire to go hiking in the White Mountains. If you end up needing a rescue, that takes emergency people away from those who might need it for hospital trips because of the pandemic. It's unnecessary.