Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Wealthy people in 1st world countries with a well developed healthcare system are pretty much safe, of course unless death wasnt waiting behind the mountains but allready had a firm grip on the shoulder. So why bother?

Um.... everything is relative.

1% is high compared to the flu. But check out these mortality rates (all percentages are for diseases that go untreated. Granted there are treatments for some of these - just as we are finding treatments for Coronavirus).

Aids/HIV -- 80 -90%
Rabies - 100%
Small pox ≈ 90%
Ebola -- 83 - 90%
Anthrax ≈ 85%
Flu H5N1 ≈ 60%
Marburg -- 23 - 90%
MERS ≈ 35%
SARS ≈ 11%
Coronavirus 1 - 9%

- List of human disease case fatality rates - Wikipedia

IMHO, what makes the Coronavirus so dangerous is not its mortality rate OR its ease of transmission but the number of days that it's contagious without showing symptoms - the incubation period. We still don't know for sure how long Cornoavirus' incubation period is or for how long it's contagious. There are very few dangerous communicable diseases that have long incubation periods. AIDS, Chickenpox, and measles are up there.

-https://lalinks.org/linksweb/docs/CommunicableDiseaseChart0411s36x42.pdf

In good apocalypse books and movies, they combine a disease that has ariborne transmission with a high mortality rate and a long incubation period. So the disease can spread worldwide before anyone notices. Like if you combined the worst features of Smallpox with measles.

Correct, and stating the obvious.

Unfortunately, it is a disease that currently poses a danger to everyone (in countries where it isn't being managed well, such as the US).

Downplaying the risk makes the problem worse. A lot of people have died because of this attitude.

I just heard on the radio that they are saying that after this pandemic we will move to a 4 day working week. It would benefit the environment, the economy and mental health. Seems like a very good outcome after something so horrible. They have been talking about this same idea in New Zealand too.

Correct, and stating the obvious.

Unfortunately, it is a disease that currently poses a danger to everyone (in countries where it isn't being managed well, such as the US).

Downplaying the risk makes the problem worse. A lot of people have died because of this attitude.

I'm not downplaying the risk. I'm just explaining that it could be a lot worse. Unless we learn from our mistakes the next time something like this happens it could be a lot worse.

I just heard on the radio that they are saying that after this pandemic we will move to a 4 day working week. It would benefit the environment, the economy and mental health. Seems like a very good outcome after something so horrible. They have been talking about this same idea in New Zealand too.

Back in the days of the Gas Crisis. (is that what we called it?) The company I worked for went to a 4-day working week to save gas. Surprisingly I did not like it. We worked four 10-hour days. Throw in the commute time and it was like there wasn't enough time to do anything in the evenings. You ended up spending a day on your weekend just doing laundry, shopping, and housecleaning. I wasn't the only one with the issue. We eventually switched to a nine-hour day with alternate 3 day weekends. I really liked that. but after the gas crisis was over we all went back to business as usual.

I think it's going to be another "back to business as a usual thing" again. however, I hear people questioning the status quo now so maybe there will some changes.
Do we really need all these meetings? Do we really need to travel to meetings? Can some meeting be just as good remotely? Do we all need to go to the office every day? Can't some work be done at home?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I live in an apartment building with long hallways.
We are all supposed to be wearing masks and even before it was mandatory most people wore the masks when they were in the hallways. But not everyone. I did scold my next-door neighbor for not wearing a mask in the laundry room. Yesterday one of my neighbors was wearing a mask - but not over their face. I stopped to scold him, too. He was very resistant at first - claiming that his rent money made the hallway his. I think I convinced him that it was a shared space and a public space and that there were people who shared HIS hallway with him and he owed them the courtesy of wearing a mask in the hallway. I think he got it. but I just realized that while I was talking to him he never put his mask on.

And the hits just keep on coming...

I absolutely feel bad for them. But I can't help myself from thinking that maybe we are witnessing evolution in action. But probably not. Forty percent of the pop voted for Trump.

For me, it's like Ground Hog's day. I come out of my apartment, look around, and go back in for another month.

Masks. I already have more than enough but now that we are looking at mandatory masks - maybe one more wouldn't be a bad idea

Right now my favorite mask has an inner pocket. Does anyone know about the filters that I could put inside it. so some of them protect the wearer?

Here is a good article on some masks you can buy

Back in the days of the Gas Crisis. (is that what we called it?) The company I worked for went to a 4-day working week to save gas. Surprisingly I did not like it. We worked four 10-hour days. Throw in the commute time and it was like there wasn't enough time to do anything in the evenings. You ended up spending a day on your weekend just doing laundry, shopping, and housecleaning. I wasn't the only one with the issue. We eventually switched to a nine-hour day with alternate 3 day weekends. I really liked that. but after the gas crisis was over we all went back to business as usual.

Oh, that is quite a surprise. Someone I know only works Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri and really likes it as a lifestyle.

I dont know how people in Nz would be able to live on that money. In the main centres houses cost 1 milion for a basic house, and 800,000 in the other main centres. Rents also steep to match. Houses used to be about 300,000 20 years ago.

Perhaps it was me?😜 From October to the end of March, i was working only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. And i have to admit, i liked it! :lol:

No, it wasn't you, but I'm glad you liked it.:heart_eyes:

I dont know how people in Nz would be able to live on that money. In the main centres houses cost 1 milion for a basic house, and 800,000 in the other main centres. Rents also steep to match. Houses used to be about 300,000 20 years ago.

I think societies are going to have to be restructured and changed after this, well, I hope they will!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Just wanted to be clear. we still worked 40 hours a week. Four 10-hour days. I would leave the house at 7 AM be at work by 8. work till 7. Get home at 8. By the time I made dinner, ate it, and cleaned up, I didn't have time to do any shopping or laundry or house cleaning. So all that stuff ended up being put off till the weekend.

• Friendly
No, it wasn't you, but I'm glad you liked it.:heart_eyes:

I think societies are going to have to be restructured and changed after this, well, I hope they will!

if i trusted the people who are in power of this planet i would think it is a good thing. Sadly studies have show that politicians are usually sociopaths and psychopaths... and i have seen enough of their "work" here in New Zealand to not trust whatever is coming from them...

• Friendly
Just wanted to be clear. we still worked 40 hours a week. Four 10-hour days. I would leave the house at 7 AM be at work by 8. work till 7. Get home at 8. By the time I made dinner, ate it, and cleaned up, I didn't have time to do any shopping or laundry or house cleaning. So all that stuff ended up being put off till the weekend.
We were pushing for that to be regular hours where I work, many groups were already working mandatory 10 hours and then Friday they'd have the option of working a half day if they got everything out. I used to work 10's for overtime....those were the days! :weird:
Now we've been having Fridays off till after July! I miss my money, but it's seriously nice!

Masks. I already have more than enough but now that we are looking at mandatory masks - maybe one more wouldn't be a bad idea

Right now my favorite mask has an inner pocket. Does anyone know about the filters that I could put inside it. so some of them protect the wearer?

Here is a good article on some masks you can buy

I bought hepa filter vacuum bags but I haven’t put it in my masks yet. My daughter made me a couple of masks with pockets.
Just make sure they are made of polypropylene, and not with fiberglass.

I bought hepa filter vacuum bags but I haven’t put it in my masks yet. My daughter made me a couple of masks with pockets.
Just make sure they are made of polypropylene, and not with fiberglass.
I've heard that about the HEPA filter vacuum bags. I think I'll try that. and buy another mask with a pocket.