Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I’m seeing stories where a small percentage of people are getting Covid19 twice...up to four months later and after donating blood to help others with the illness. Not very encouraging.

Ha! This is interesting on several different levels. My HMO just sent me information regarding staying safe during protests.

--------
COVID-19 has been the most significant public health challenge of our lifetime. Over the past few weeks, our attention has turned to another ongoing public health threat—racial inequality. Kaiser Permanente is committed to addressing health inequities in our communities while also keeping each other safe. During this pandemic, if you participate in civic actions and demonstrations, here are steps you can take to protect yourself, your family, and your community:

• Go with people you’ve sheltered with. Keep your distance (at least 6 feet) from others when possible.
  • Wear a mask or cloth face covering over your mouth and nose (How to properly wear a face mask).
  • Wear eye protection.
  • Consider carrying a sign to make your message known.
  • Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer during and after the event. Don’t share phones or other personal items.
  • Stay home if you’re sick.

After the event, self-quarantine at home and follow these guidelines:

• If you have symptoms such as cough, fever, shortness of breath, sore throat, headache, muscle aches and chills, and/or loss of smell or taste, contact us immediately at 1-866-454-8855.
  • If you don't develop symptoms, we strongly recommend you have a phone or video visit with your doctor 3 to 7 days after the protest. Schedule online or call 1-866-454-8855.
Please stay safe and take care of yourself and each other,

I’m seeing stories where a small percentage of people are getting Covid19 twice...up to four months later and after donating blood to help others with the illness. Not very encouraging.

'Health officials in South Korea say it’s unlikely these patients got reinfected with COVID-19 a second time since they’re testing positive for a second time so soon, but rather that some people with COVID-19 may be experiencing a viral reactivation."
_Can You Develop COVID-19 Twice? Here's What We Know

It's unlikely that we're going to open any borders soon, especially with China. This new Beijing strain is so contagious, that they are enforcing their war regime, and it's only beginning. I heard that one outbreak spot of that new strain is located close to one of russian borders.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
Too much like Trump. Maybe this-https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-johnson-record-sexist-homophobic-and-racist-comments-bumboys-piccaninnies-2019-6

He really isn't at all. He does say some insanely stupid things, though, but he is highly intelligent.

'Health officials in South Korea say it’s unlikely these patients got reinfected with COVID-19 a second time since they’re testing positive for a second time so soon, but rather that some people with COVID-19 may be experiencing a viral reactivation."
_Can You Develop COVID-19 Twice? Here's What We Know
This is very interesting and doesn’t make me feel very positive about this virus going away anytime soon. Damn.
Not that I thought it was going anywhere anytime soon before I read it. 🤦‍♀️But I had more hope that we would start to get a grip on it. Now I’m not so sure. I just don’t like the outlook of what the future is going to be like with regard to socializing. I’m starting to miss my family. I live with husband and son but they are not “company” for me I need my daughters and grandchildren. 😭
Maybe I just need to get out of bed and have some coffee. 🤔

This is very interesting and doesn’t make me feel very positive about this virus going away anytime soon. Damn.
Not that I thought it was going anywhere anytime soon before I read it. 🤦‍♀️But I had more hope that we would start to get a grip on it. Now I’m not so sure. I just don’t like the outlook of what the future is going to be like with regard to socializing. I’m starting to miss my family. I live with husband and son but they are not “company” for me I need my daughters and grandchildren. 😭

We're all free to have opinions on politicians, including those who hold office in other countries. These days, no nation is isolated. Instead, leaders of nations have a global impact.

I don't want to derail this thread, or supersede the commentary of people who are from the UK, so I'll leave it at that. I respect the comments of those who are from the UK or have a closer connection to it than I do.

Most political leaders have their allies and critics, and for a multitude of reasons which tend to be well documented online. So it's not worth restating any of that here.

I don't actually wish harm on anyone. I just have political opinions, which are connected to issues that I feel strongly about due to their impact on day to day life.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
If an effective treatment could come out, that would make me feel a bit better, but I agree, I don't think it's going anywhere until we get either a treatment or a vaccine. I'm wondering what socializing will be like as well, especially once the cold weather comes. It's fine now, because we can all stay outside while we visit, but come winter, it could get pretty lonely. I haven't seen some of my good friends in ages, only the one that lives nearby. It also means no more concerts for quite a while. I really miss live, in-person music.

I met with 4 of my friends yesterday. These are all retired senior citizen guys. Like me, they have been in self-quarantine for the last 3 months. I hadn't seen them in even longer cause while i was getting treated I was living with my sister 30 minutes south of here.

We met in a double garage with the garage door open. So it was sort of like outdoors. We sat over 6 feet apart and we agreed that taking off our masks was ok since we were maintaining phyical distance.

We talked about the coronavirus, football, baseball, Kapernick, police brutality, racism, Juneteenth, movies, TV shows, getting sick, recovering, Trump, Biden, books, history, and dogs. It felt really good. all of us have been pretty starved for social contact.

I had been talking about doing this for a month but I think it was a combination of the shelter in place lasting so long and that some restrictions are being lifted that made the others agree to the meet. We all had such a good time that we agreed to do this once a week from here on.

I don't remember the last time I did anything that was just social. It's definitely been more than a year. It sure sounds nice. I could really go for some, "normal," social time - have some vegan hotdogs and watch a baseball game.

I've been talking to my neighbors more. It's great. People in my neighborhood are really friendly (except for the pole-wielder, but I doubt that guy has many friends).

I'm still looking for a mask with good ventilation. The ones I have are not ideal. But I can't complain.

I don't remember the last time I did anything that was just social. It's definitely been more than a year. It sure sounds nice. I could really go for some, "normal," social time - have some vegan hotdogs and watch a baseball game.

I've been talking to my neighbors more. It's great. People in my neighborhood are really friendly (except for the pole-wielder, but I doubt that guy has many friends).

I'm still looking for a mask with good ventilation. The ones I have are not ideal. But I can't complain.
I really miss baseball, especially on Sunday afternoons with my family.

Last edited:
We had the results come through from an interesting case yesterday. A couple who came back from India who was in mandatory isolation for 14 days had a covid test on the 12th day, as a prelude to releasing I assume.

Well, they both returned positive results but had no symptoms.

The border controls and isolation management have been a complete shambles down here in NZ

It's unlikely that we're going to open any borders soon, especially with China. This new Beijing strain is so contagious, that they are enforcing their war regime, and it's only beginning. I heard that one outbreak spot of that new strain is located close to one of russian borders.

There are many Chinese international college students due back to NZ as they are enrolled... probably they will miss a term but they will be back at some point... we have 20% of our population here from China so many people were always coming and going from there until March.... even i am part Chinese according to genetic testing (though only 15%) there is more emphasis right now on opening borders with Australia first, and the Pacific Islands.

I talked to the doorman for one of the larger buildings in the neighborhood earlier today. He said the delivery workers had been filling him in on what was going on in the other buildings.

Apparently that month of sirens was mostly for dead bodies. People were dying in their apartments before they could get medical attention. He said it was mostly people who stayed home and followed the precautions. They got it from the air circulating in the building. And most had compromised immune systems from other health issues.

He said, "Be really careful. The area where everyone shops was the worst. Lots of people died."

And he said he had sanitized the lobby meticulously every day and his building didn't have any infections.

It's a chilling thought - how the quality of a building's maintenance can make a difference in the infection rate. It sounds like people were dying from having bad landlords, or just living in old buildings where the ventilation somehow spreads the virus.

Obviously, this is second or third hand info, so take it for what it is.

I keep leaving the house and doing things. I'm helping with food distribution three days this week (my volunteer job), then getting acupuncture on Friday. I also signed up to donate blood next week.

Be careful if you live in an area where it's spreading. Things can change fast.

I have worked in many consulate nursing/rehab centers with HCSG. The facility I was the kitchen manager at had 9 deaths. Consulate is a cheap company, they don't give enough supplies or pay people. They hire incompetent, lazy staff. They do not pay well enough for any good staff to stay. I am so saddened by this, I feel broken for their families. I love, miss and was worried about the residents and staff of these facilities.
I feel selfish to say, I am glad I am not working in this facility.