Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

The DeLand location is not on the list. It is in the same plaza as TJ Maxx and Ross. I really don't know how these competing stores are doing. We are doing well though. I think our store was one of the top in sales in our region since the re-opening.
Theres one near my work, and not on the list. It's been years since I stopped in- I got bed pillows I ended up hating, and some interesting food stuffs. They don't sell any clothes. I would think they 'd help TJMaxx since people have two to choose from they'd be more likely to go to that location ? How it works for me!

I'm just so worried about the economic impact this is having, how much our lives will end up changing. I've read how appliances could become such hard to find and afford commodities that I'm thinking maybe I should get a fridge now, and keep what I have now in the basement to see what happens
Another couple weeks will be very telling about the infection rate that's for sure!

Really is exposing how poorly run this country is, and how very very inequitable

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Theres one near my work, and not on the list. It's been years since I stopped in- I got bed pillows I ended up hating, and some interesting food stuffs. They don't sell any clothes. I would think they 'd help TJMaxx since people have two to choose from they'd be more likely to go to that location ? How it works for me!

I'm just so worried about the economic impact this is having, how much our lives will end up changing. I've read how appliances could become such hard to find and afford commodities that I'm thinking maybe I should get a fridge now, and keep what I have now in the basement to see what happens
Another couple weeks will be very telling about the infection rate that's for sure!

Really is exposing how poorly run this country is, and how very very inequitable
It sure has. I have a friend going through a nasty divorce and she can't work because of her health. Now, they were fairly wealthy, not in the 1% by any means, but definitely upper middle class. She has been stressing about how she is going to live on so little once the divorce is final. While i feel for her, I kept thinking that that is how a good chunk of the country lives, worrying about bills, living paycheck to paycheck, stressed about how to afford medical care and insurance. She hasn't ever had to worry about that until now. We really do need at the very least some sort of national health care plan so that people don't break the bank trying to take care of themselves.

I know I'm going to need a fridge, too, as mine is pretty old and probably on its last legs. I do think a lot about how the way we live will be changing because of this pandemic.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I never heard of Tuesday Morning. I did like Pier 1. They were having problems before covid though.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I keep envisioning a positive side to the demise of big box stores. In theory, it could drive down the cost of retail space and open up possibilities (small businesses, art markets, not-for-profit performance spaces and galleries). Or even housing. The space could be used for affordable housing. Or indoor community gardens.

Realistically, there is a good chance that they'll remain vacant until they're bulldozed to make way for large, gimmicky apartment complexes. And Amazon will slowly take over the retail sphere. And/or Walmart will expand and take over the empty spaces.

But there is room for us to have some say in it. I want to advocate for better uses of these buildings.

With the way things are going in the US, I think we're likely to experience a second wave of infections.

Re-opening makes sense, but it's being done too recklessly in many places. People are in a state of denial about how serious the risk is.

Why aren't we focusing on 100% safe ways to revitalize the economy? Making it easier for more people to work from home, run web-based businesses, etc?

It's obviously far beyond the capabilities of our current administration. And it would take some organizing and an initial investment. But it would save lives and it would be a sounder bet economically than allowing a dangerous disease to spread.

I never heard of Tuesday Morning. I did like Pier 1. They were having problems before covid though.

It's a real gem and completely different to Pier 1. I used to buy all my bedding, Christmas decorations,faux plants and dog stuff from their place. They have a lot of very
good quality goods for a fraction of the price compared to other shops.

It's a real gem and completely different to Pier 1. I used to buy all my bedding, Christmas decorations,faux plants and dog stuff from their place. They have a lot of very
good quality goods for a fraction of the price compared to other shops.

Tuesday Morning is somewhat similar to TJ Maxx in that it sells discounted products. The stores are smaller though. I have seen some of the exact same things in both stores though! Also comparable to Ross.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Tuesday Morning is somewhat similar to TJ Maxx in that it sells discounted products. The stores are smaller though. I have seen some of the exact same things in both stores though! Also comparable to Ross.

The kitchen stuff is usually cheaper in TJ Max however, the sheets are cheaper in TM. That is, at least in the stores that I shop in when I'm in CA.

The space could be used for affordable housing. Or indoor community gardens.

I have been thinking about this a lot. Indoor vertical gardens would work so well in every different climate. With LED lighting now available the cost is so much less than it used to be and technology has advanced in these areas as well so the vertical is much simpler and basically automated.

There are a lot of great videos out there on communities that have decided to use empty buildings this way.

Imagine growing tons of potatoes and tomatoes and fruits and greens, of course, all inside and having it available fresh all year.

Emma JC

I have been thinking about this a lot. Indoor vertical gardens would work so well in every different climate. With LED lighting now available the cost is so much less than it used to be and technology has advanced in these areas as well so the vertical is much simpler and basically automated.

There are a lot of great videos out there on communities that have decided to use empty buildings this way.

Imagine growing tons of potatoes and tomatoes and fruits and greens, of course, all inside and having it available fresh all year.

Emma JC

My thoughts exactly!

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I think, because of things like this👇, the spreading of covid is not decreasing. It happened yesterday, on Friday morning. This is a big town Dzerzhinsk (680 miles from SPb, in Nizhniy Novgorod area). Its idiotic authorities didn't make up anything better, than to announce a huge clearance in Carousel shopping mall. (Carousel is a chain of so-called one-stop shopping malls, maybe like Costco or Walmart)... So, at the opening time, a huge crowd rushed inside, not only having forgotten about any distancing, but having forgotten about human dignity. This kind of accidents occur on "Black Friday" sometimes, but not so frequently. But this is inacceptable, because they all will be thronging at checkouts and breathing at each other.
In the video (employees giggling):
1st employee: "Here we have 50% discounts in Carousel shopping mall, Tziolkovsky avenue. It's opening time! It's 9 a.m.! Oy, mamma mia, oy, mamma mia... Well, i'm in awe..."
2nd employee: "Haha, hey, close the door, please! They're walking with a baby carriage!"
3rd employee: "What the hell did they take babies with them?"
2nd employee: "They even took efforts on squeezing the babies into baby carriages..."
1st employee: "Well, THIS is self-isolation..."
Altogether: "Bwahahahaha".
...Final curtain...🤦‍♀️

So NYC is a few weeks away from beginning to re-open.

I've been really enjoying having a break from people.

I'm glad that we're recovering and that there will be less suffering.

I'm not looking forward to having the full experience of society again.
I can relate... I don't know how I'll survive. The corona is still a problem to worry about, but also the fact of having to interact with people in real life takes me to whole another level of terror.
The cat also has to get used to the fact that I can't be around all the time. She isn't going to take that well.

So i found another coffee shop today, they keep their contract tracing register behind the counter with them, it isnt just sitting there on a table... so i will adopt the shop while i have to fill these out, gives more privacy....

Went to one of the malls today, was an unusual feeling, i had goten used to nothing being open but the supermarket and some fast food ( which i dont eat) .. and having things open feels very unusual... will take a while to get used to it. People are odd too, it is like half the crowd were at level 4 still and the other half in level 1, creating some bizarre scenarios...

...People are odd too, it is like half the crowd were at level 4 still and the other half in level 1, creating some bizarre scenarios...
I found the same when I went to Aldi the other day for groceries. While everyone wore masks, many people weren't following the one-way arrows or practicing social distancing. Our state has just begun the first phase of reopening, and some people are acting as if the whole thing were over. For now, I'm going to continue mostly as if we're still in lockdown. I'm not really going anywhere unless it's for food shopping or things like taking my dad to the doctor's. I want to see what the numbers do before I consider, say, dining outside at a restaurant.

I found the same when I went to Aldi the other day for groceries. While everyone wore masks, many people weren't following the one-way arrows or practicing social distancing. Our state has just begun the first phase of reopening, and some people are acting as if the whole thing were over. For now, I'm going to continue mostly as if we're still in lockdown. I'm not really going anywhere unless it's for food shopping or things like taking my dad to the doctor's. I want to see what the numbers do before I consider, say, dining outside at a restaurant.

In NZ it is the same, some people distancing and some not. What makes things difficult is that NZers have a problem, basically, that it is hard to distance sometimes as people here often stand and block doorways and corridors.. there are times where they will stop right in traffic whether foot, or car...

combined with the distancing it becomes chaotic as there are some people trying to distance and some people standing around randomly.... phones seem to have made this worse too as people would get a text and stop where they were in a doorwy... frustrating..

I think it is because NZers used to live in mostly rural situations and they havent managed to figure out how to behave in crowds....

In NZ it is the same, some people distancing and some not. What makes things difficult is that NZers have a problem, basically, that it is hard to distance sometimes as people here often stand and block doorways and corridors.. there are times where they will stop right in traffic whether foot, or car...

combined with the distancing it becomes chaotic as there are some people trying to distance and some people standing around randomly.... phones seem to have made this worse too as people would get a text and stop where they were in a doorwy... frustrating..

I think it is because NZers used to live in mostly rural situations and they havent managed to figure out how to behave in crowds....
Well, there's only 1 case left in New Zealand now, so in a few days we will have eradicated it from here.

Why do I have to keep complaining about how americans are treating the covid bug? (Almost) every other country has at least declining cases.

Fun fact: In Turkmenistan there are no cases and there have never been!