Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I keep thinking what is the point of using antibacterial cleaners when it is a virus? The powers that be say it is effective, however, hmm.

I got a call from my local political party today checking I was okay. I was thinking who the hell is this? :iiam: :laughing:

So....we've been told for so long prior to this that we should limit using antiseptic cleaners and all that stuff stronger than just regular surfectants because they strengthen bacteria making them more resistant to antibiotics, and more deadly

and what's the deal with wipes? People go crazy to have a tub of what seems to be long lasting paperish wipes moistened with what you could put together in a spray bottle. We have them everywhere at work, and when I got one for a table that needed a wipe, it just streaked- wasn't even wet
We're now just profiting Clorox, and P&G and Lysol corps

What's the next ecoli outbreak or other bacterial outbreak?

That has crossed my mind, too. I have not done any research on it yet but here are just some of my thoughts and responses.

I never did find any disinfectant wipes. I did find a spray bottle of disinfectant and I have several machine washable cloths that I use with the disinfectant to wipe off my groceries.

I don't believe bacteria can build up a tolerance to bleach or alcohol.

Diseases caused by bacteria are a real issue. I don't believe E. coli is transmitted in a way that could create a pandemic. However, it is a foodborne illness and maybe This pandemic might provide us some lessons so that we can avoid some foodborne disease outbreaks in the future.

To the best of my knowledge, the concern over the overuse of antibiotic soaps is not about creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria (although that remains a possibility). It is that the chemicals in that soap have not been proven to be safe for humans. And who knows what they do when they reach the oceans.

The overuse of antibiotic drugs remains a huge danger. But when used correctly they do not create drug-resistant strains of bacteria. It is their misuse that is an issue. Especially concerning is their system-wide misuse. Covid19 patients do get antibacterial drugs - mostly because bacterial pneumonia is a real risk to them. Hopefully, with what we know now about drug-resistant strains - the drugs will be used properly.

I have been wondering that as well and so have resisted the whole antiseptic cleaners stuff. If washing our hands with soap is good enough to get rid of the virus then why isn't that enough for other surfaces?

I personally am more concerned about "air transmission" than about surfaces although I do wash my hands after being out use the hand santizer in stores on the way in and the way out. So I wear my mask even within my highrise to take the garbage out and get the mail. We have a limit in our building of max 2 in the elevators so that is a good thing.

Emma JC

The latest info i have heard is that the surfaces thing was overblown.

I also live in an apartment and whenever I come back in - even if it was just for checking the mail or taking out the garbage - i wash my hands. i also disinfect the doorknob. and I wear my mask in the building. I had "words" with my next-door neighbor for not wearing a mask in the laundry room. That's a small contained space and even though we were not in the room at the same time - she had been breathing in there.

I keep thinking what is the point of using antibacterial cleaners when it is a virus? The powers that be say it is effective, however, hmm.

I got a call from my local political party today checking I was okay. I was thinking who the hell is this? :iiam: :laughing:

Just like bacteria - viruses are killed by ammonia and/or alcohol.

• Agree
Reactions: Blues and Emma JC
Now they're playing down the risk of surface transmissions. Thank goodness! I have to say I was not wiping everything down, I would avoid it for a while, but I only did the wipe of groceries once before realizing it was such an ocd trigger!
Elavators, hallways, any small space esp restrooms are where I'm most sheilded up
I'm now wondering how bad it is to have the nose exposed? Everyone has their nose exposed when they start talking, or deliberately. The mask just starts slipping down, which is why I favor the higher nose shield. But then again, is just nose breathing that bad?
Anyway, the most it's really affecting me is my lost overtime. I'm working harder than ever both on new product repairs I have to discern myself, and providing work and training to the production workers who are 'helping' repair. I'm losing a good $400 a month and needing things!

I still think wiping down the groceries is a good idea. How many people touched those boxes and bags - just in the last couple of days - dozens?

Most people don't breathe out from the nose so having the nose exposed is maybe not so bad. Remember the mask is not to protect the wearer - its to protect everyone else. But I think for the mask to be effective in flattening the curve it Should be well fitted.

I was having trouble with my mask slipping down too. Then I discovered that elastic straps were adjustable and just tightened up them. if your elastic straps aren't tight enough and not adjustable that might mean it is time for a new mask.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Most people don't breath out through their nose!? :shrug: . I do, I except in doing yoga, or intentional
I haven't really found a good way to prevent the mask from slipping down, though I do like the one with ties high on my head, and the higher nose. I see everyone like this. It also makes me want to like pure my lip all the time, so annoying

I thought they banned triclosan due to bacterial resistance, but it seems there wasn't enough evidence proving that--but that is what I'd heard on the news reporting it. Triclosan could be really harmful to your gut, and it's probably in your toothpaste

Hand sanitizers are to be minimized for that reason--why we had a couple big bottles on hand. My son would use it a lot and I got them from the Dollar Tree, then he read about it and stopped.

I don't wipe down all my groceries. Any that can be "wiped" like cans, jars, bottles etc I just leave in the grocery bag until a few days have gone by or I need the item. Some replacement items are still sitting in a bag two weeks later. Fresh veggies I put away immediately and frozen foods go into the freezer right away. I do wash my hands at least 10 times a day (not counting do dishes by hand all day as well) so hopefully that gets most of anything that sneaks in.

Emma JC

We were discussing beans in a different thread and I mentioned that my fav breakfast beans are out of stock and the Heinz version is very expensive now. There were also empty shelves of our President's Choice Blue Menu canned beans which are typically "blue menu" because they are very low in sodium and as they are the store brand they are also less expensive. They have black beans, kidney white or red, chick peas, and a mixed bean and all of them were sold out with the exception of a few hidden red kidney beans.

Much as this is inconvenient for me it warms my heart that so many people are eating beans! I love it! and fortunately still have lots from my initial buying back in February.

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Lou
I think we can infer a lot from the patterns in NYC - who got sick. We know it disproportionately affects older people and people with certain underlying conditions. But what about the risk for everyone else?

It's affecting a lot of front line workers - transit workers, medical professionals, cops, package distributors. Those people are probably being repeatedly exposed to it within a short window of time. So I have to wonder about repeated exposure and viral load as factors. The initial lack of PPE was obviously a huge factor. So covering your mouth, nose, and eyes (ideally) would help.

Unfortunately, the data just isn't being reported accurately. Not everyone who gets COVID gets tested. Some facilities such as nursing homes have tried to under-report the number of COVID-related deaths among their patients.

With the basic numbers being off, any studies on infection and prognosis will be skewed as well. Because the unreported infections could represent portions of the population who are affected slightly differently on average (people who don't get very sick, people who are dealing with other diseases/hardships that their deaths could be attributed to, etc).

There is so much that we don't know yet. I say err on the safe side. It won't hurt.

I don't wipe down all my groceries. Any that can be "wiped" like cans, jars, bottles etc I just leave in the grocery bag until a few days have gone by or I need the item. Some replacement items are still sitting in a bag two weeks later. Fresh veggies I put away immediately and frozen foods go into the freezer right away. I do wash my hands at least 10 times a day (not counting do dishes by hand all day as well) so hopefully that gets most of anything that sneaks in.

Emma JC

Oh. that is a good idea for boxes, cans, and bottles. I can do that.
Fresh veggies I wash and let them air dry. Just ran out of produce wash and I'm ordering some more.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Oh. that is a good idea for boxes, cans, and bottles. I can do that.
Fresh veggies I wash and let them air dry. Just ran out of produce wash and I'm ordering some more.

I don't bother with a produce wash, I just use soap and water.

Emma JC

I have lost almost 14 lbs in the last couple of months. It is because of the shops/fast food/ cafes being shut!

Hand sanitizers are to be minimized for that reason--why we had a couple big bottles on hand. My son would use it a lot and I got them from the Dollar Tree, then he read about it and stopped.

Yes, this is what I meant earlier. I maybe wasn't being clear with my post earlier with my day drinking due to the lockdown. :D

I honestly haven't wiped down any of my groceries. I just order as much online as I can, leave the packages by the door for a few days before opening them, and keep my distance from people in public. I haven't ridden mass transit in months. And I'm focusing on improving my overall health because that will probably help.

I have been very inconsistent about wiping down groceries. At first I was so paranoid, I tried to wipe everything but then I started forgetting and now I rarely bother. I do wipe down the counter after unpacking them though. I wear my mask when I go in the store but I sometimes pull it down to breathe. I find my glasses fog up at work and it is really annoying not being able to breathe or see!
At work we are wiping the carts and the door handles and doors and other surfaces throughout the store on an hourly basis. They actually are scheduling employees to do this. There is a person wiping the carts as people return them. The cashiers clean the counters and pin pads consistently. The dressing rooms are closed indefinitely. People don't follow the arrows on the floor or social distance too well though. Of course there are markers going into the checkout line for this and they follow those. Lots of people don't wear masks even though it says on the door they are required. Employees cannot refuse to let people in. I think we are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. Employees also get a temperature check every day.

People don't follow the arrows on the floor or social distance too well though. Of course there are markers going into the checkout line for this and they follow those. Lots of people don't wear masks even though it says on the door they are required. Employees cannot refuse to let people in. I think we are doing everything possible to keep everyone safe. Employees also get a temperature check every day.
I am finding the same thing. I was not happy to see maskless people in the store, but then I started to wonder whether they had health issues or other issues that precluded them from wearing a mask. It's hard to know. I just tried to keep my distance. This was at Staples. I had to go there on Friday because my printer ran out of ink and I was on deadline for a freelance project. Nobody seems to be following the arrows, either. That's super annoying because then you end up too close to people.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I noticed stop n shop took away the arrows and distancing lines when I was there earlier in the week. I was surprised by that.

I will continue to wear a mask, probably for quite awhile. I will also continue to sanitize the groceries. Is it OCD? Maybe. It just makes me feel better. If I end up getting sick it won’t be because I didn’t do everything I could to try and prevent it. I also won’t be eating out in a restaurant anytime soon.

One thing I did stop is wiping boxes that deliveries come in. I either leave them for 2-3 days or open them, cut them down for recycling then immediately wash my hands.

Around here (NH), things are starting to open up, and a lot of people (maybe about half stopped wearing masks).

Most stores require masks still, and (local) restaurants have outdoor seating, with most spreading out the tables.

National chains are still pretty strict and only allow curbside pickup.

I really hope this isn't too fast.

it scared me as it was a clipboard with a list of customers names and phone numbers, sitting there on the table... public to anyone who entered the cafe.

It's a valid point Freesia. I came across the same thing, you might want to put a complaint into the privacy commissioner. It's a stalkers paradise to have information for public viewing like that.

I noticed stop n shop took away the arrows and distancing lines when I was there earlier in the week. I was surprised by that.

I will continue to wear a mask, probably for quite awhile. I will also continue to sanitize the groceries. Is it OCD? Maybe. It just makes me feel better. If I end up getting sick it won’t be because I didn’t do everything I could to try and prevent it. I also won’t be eating out in a restaurant anytime soon.

One thing I did stop is wiping boxes that deliveries come in. I either leave them for 2-3 days or open them, cut them down for recycling then immediately wash my hands.
I only meant that the wiping groceries was causing me undue anxiety, not that it wasn't a good idea. It does linger on surfaces, I just leave what I can alone, put what I need to away, and wash up, clean counters. I wouldn't eat out for some time, though I rarely did anyway. I do miss the karaoke nights I balked at though!
The big anxiety for me now is what's ahead. Recession, depression? Will I have my job? Should I buy the fridge with the possibiity of appliances being in short supply and prices skyrocketing? Or the car, knowing that another monthly payment could push me over the edge-but-my present car will need repairs that come all at once, which would mean a higher interest rate?
Oh heck, I'm gonna go to Hertz tomorrow and if they give me a grand I'll get it
I keep thinking how little minimum wages are, so far from anything livable, it's just not right

My sons shop requires masks and they will put people out for non compliance.