Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Good luck! It will likely feel strange initially.

Thank you.. it was interesting. Everyone seemed like they were smiling and excited to see faces again.. it was weird for me because i felt sort of like a criminal when out, even with my exemption on display during the lockdowns, people didnt seem to notice it.. and now I am not the only one anymore... I kept clutching my purse at times ready to get the exemption out and then would remember...

My work will stop it's weekly volunteer testing in Oct. and has greatly reduced all lot of covid protocals, calling it likely the 'endemic'
I got the email just before leaving so I read it quickly. It does feel a bit hasty to stop right at the beginning of fall.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
They were billed as a way of protecting others, if not yourself - I remember one pharmaceutical boss saying ~that on the BBC. However, maybe they do reduce transmission a bit and as I say - it's great we have vaccines to protect the vulnerable. Yes we don't know about the long term impact of people getting a new virus (though maybe some people wouldn't get it at all), but we certainly don't know the long term impact, or unintended consequences, of nearly everyone getting a new type of vaccine passed under emergency conditions.
Yes, this is a new type of vaccine in the sense that it hadn't been administered on this scale, but research into mRNA technology has been going on for decades. So while the vaccine type may be "new," the research into it isn't. It also helped that researchers had learned about other coronaviruses from SARS and MERS (I think the SARS outbreak was in 2003, but I'm not sure).
Who knows. We have never tested for flu like this, nor have we pushed for 'within 28 days of a flu test'. Nor have we segregated staff that are not manifesting sickness AFAIK. I've never seen bizarre news reports of people trying to convince me that young people are in danger, then showing morbidly obese people with long flu, or 'sepsis with flu', as I have with covid.
The flu hasn't overwhelmed the hospitals the way the COVID has/did, so there isn't a need for widespread flu testing. COVID is not the flu. Yes, both can exhibit similar symptoms, but because this was a new coronavirus, there wasn't existing immunity, so way more people were susceptible to it. Testing was critical early on as a tool to help stop the spread and to track the prevalence of the virus. But in the U.S., the initial government response (both local and federal) was slow, and that didn't help.

The flu is nothing to ignore since it can cause death (hence the prevalence of flu vaccines), but it hasn't done so on the scale that COVID did, especially early on in the pandemic. RE: testing. If we have the technology for testing, what is so bad about that? If a person tests positive, he or she can isolate and hopefully not spread it to anyone else.
Zero covid then? Maybe fewer people than you would like to actually want to take the vaccines, but this must surely still be the best/fastest takeup in history?
I think without the vaccines way more people would have died. And 6.5 million people, regardless of what percentage of the population that is, is still a lot of deaths.

It depends how bad you are, but I agree, people going around as normal when they're ill has always annoyed me. That said, I prefer that to the recent madness (as I see it).
It's not madness to think about other people besides ourselves. It's selfish of people not to consider their impact on others if they are ill with a contagious disease that we're still learning about.
Or did flu disappear because we weren't looking for it, and were looking very hard for something else? How many lateral flow tests were done for flu and colds?
In Connecticut, they were testing for flu and COVID at the same time because both illnesses can have similar symptoms, so there was no "looking harder for something else." Flu was down a ton because of the COVID mitigation efforts, so that was a happy byproduct. And people were staying home, so all of the usual flu large-gathering breeding grounds were in lockdown.

I met my friend yesterday (he is about to turn 70 next month) and he has already had his flu and Covid booster jab booked in for him in the next few weeks.

I got a text about booking my booster Covid vaccine and so I just booked it for the start of October. My husband didn't get a text even though he is over 50.

I got my 4th shot, 2nd booster back in May, and I'll be getting the flu shot next week.

Apparently, there is a new Covid shot in development that will be effective against two of the most common variants. I'm not sure how much demand that's going to get. Interest, even among pro vaccine people, has significantly decreased.

Think if it were the trump admin saying end of the pandemic, removing all mandates, and not paying for vaccines :rolleyes:🤔
Our company has really gone back to pre covid rules, not requiring tests for those with symptoms, and stopping their testing, calling it endemic
I hope so, but it really seems too early, just like mask mandates were too late :sigh:

Here in California we have a new law that "would allow state medical boards to punish physicians who spread misinformation or disinformation regarding Covid-19 and its treatment options."

I am in favor of it but the right wingers and anti-vaxers are calling this another attack on free speech.
Just saw an editorial that stated that Newsom is Big Brother and we live in an Orwellian society.

FYI

I started to feel ill last night. I had a headache and my arm started really hurting where I had the jab. I had almost 10 hours sleep last night. I've just woken up, had a hot bath and taken more paracetamol. I'm feeling a lot better so hopefully that was it for the side effects.

Here in California we have a new law that "would allow state medical boards to punish physicians who spread misinformation or disinformation regarding Covid-19 and its treatment options."
Are there a lot of unqualified quacks in California? If not god forbid physicians should have an opinion!
I am in favor of it but the right wingers and anti-vaxers are calling this another attack on free speech.
Just saw an editorial that stated that Newsom is Big Brother and we live in an Orwellian society.
That's exactly what it sounds like to me, and I'm vaccinated, and used to think I was left of centre.

Are there a lot of unqualified quacks in California? If not god forbid physicians should have an opinion!

That's exactly what it sounds like to me, and I'm vaccinated, and used to think I was left of centre.

Not sure if they fall into unqualified quacks but the level of disinformation is unprecedented.
If you are vaccinated you are probably still left of center or not too far away.
The people who are not vaccinated are usually at least half way to far right.
Although there are exceptions.

according to one survey one out of 10 doctors are "vaccine hesitant".

IMHO, the worst offenders are the doctors who recommend unproven remedies. Here in the US we have a group called Frontline Doctors - some of them are making millions on fake remedies.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

There are disciplinary hearings underway in Canada against doctors who promote disinformation. CBC News: Doctor faces disciplinary hearing.

Another doctor mentioned in the article as having had his license suspended was my family doctor for a while. *shudder*

I got my flu shot yesterday and then didn't feel well for the rest of the day.
I went on Friday but I forgot the mask. and it was at the end of the day and the line went out the door and around the corner. I came back Friday morning and the line wasn't the long. but when I left it was already out the door.

Although I don't like waiting and stuff I like to see people taking these things seriously.

I am going to get my fourth(?) booster soon. Just waiting for it to back in stock.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I thought it was my third booster I had the other day, but a couple of people said it was my fourth. I'm losing track.

I took my badge showing I'm exempt from wearing a mask for the most recent jab and the man offered me a visor. That hadn't happened anywhere before, but I was happy to wear it instead.

FYI - The U.S. government plans to stop paying for Covid shots. How much you'll have to pay will depend on the health insurance company you use.

Well my insurance company doesn’t cover vaccines at all. Or a bunch of other stuff. Then again the insurance company is dropping us at the end of the year anyway. No telling what we will get or how much more it will cost. Rumor says it could be about $150 more a month, in addition to the $300 a month I already pay in premiums for crappy insurance. 24 years with the company and I might be looking for another job.