Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

My friend's goddaughter who is only 12 has long covid and has lost her sense of taste & smell. She's going to
have an MRI on Monday to check if she has brain damage. Scary for such a young child to have such serious problems.
Long covid is one of my greatest fears. I'm so sorry to hear about this young child. I really hope she makes a full recovery.
I've had 4 shots now and I still wear a mask to all public indoor environments and whilst working (I worked in aged care). I don't eat indoors in restaurants as the ventilation isn't good and there's too many people without masks.
I am immune compromised, so don't know if I'll ever stop wearing a mask. I also appreciate all others who continue to wear a mask, even though mandates have now been removed.

At work we've had more cases, but all have been super mild, as little as one day.
I haven't worn a mask for some time--I'd say about a quarter of people wear them in stores, most have signs to wear if not fully vaccinated.
I find it so odd that my one son didn't get it, or me for that matter. We're both vaccinated but that doesn't seem to matter
I'll get the newer booster after my flu shop, which should be like early Oct

I don’t think they will let me do it, but the JJ shot has worked for me and if I get another booster I’d want that. I got the first shot in spring 2021 and the booster last Thanksgiving.

I still wear a mask in public places. But the benefits for me are more than Covid. I’ve felt better since not picking up the flu and stomach viruses that I would get all winter. Even though I get it every year, the flu shot has never done anything for me, never got a reaction either, they might as well have injected me with saline. And I wear it outside when mowing, I no longer have the severe allergies and sometimes sinus infections afterwards.

I still wear a mask in public places. But the benefits for me are more than Covid. I’ve felt better since not picking up the flu and stomach viruses that I would get all winter.
you bring up a good point. I haven't been sick since before Covid and I'm sure masking is the reason for that. I think I might start to wear one again in stores and at church during flu season.

I still wear a mask indoors and on public transportation. Less than half are wearing them indoors, but probably a little over half on public transportation. I wish more would wear them on the trams and busses though since we're often crammed in with little space between us.

I was talking to the district nurse the other day, she has just gotten over a serious dose of covid.
Anyway, she told me to use the paper towels provided at petrol stations and use them when I pump your gas as protection from the previous persons who have pumped gas.

I was talking to the district nurse the other day, she has just gotten over a serious dose of covid.
Anyway, she told me to use the paper towels provided at petrol stations and use them when I pump your gas as protection from the previous persons who have pumped gas.
I rember hearing that recommendation in the early days. I thought that had been debunked. That it doesn't remain or surfaces for very long. just washing your hands should be enough?

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Blues
I rember hearing that recommendation in the early days. I thought that had been debunked. That it doesn't remain or surfaces for very long. just washing your hands should be enough?
I think it might survive on some surfaces for hours to a few days. The last I knew is that they are saying contamination from holding objects is very low but I don't take any chances. Low isn't low enough for me. When I go out, I wear a glove to open the door and when I do my washing I put a plastic freezer bag on my right hand for opening doors and using machines. If you wash your hands directly after touching something, you are probably OK, but what if you forget and then rub your eyes?

EDIT: Omicron even longer Fresh research says Omicron lasts much longer on surfaces than other variants – but disinfecting still works

Reactions: HappyRoxy
It took Covid to break me from rubbing my eyes and face! I'm not all that cautious about touching things. Like restrooms, I aways used the paper towel to open the door, but other things not much. I wash my hands much more.
Hoping this holiday weekend doesn't cause a spike. Not very many people at work are taking advantage of weekly testing

I think it might survive on some surfaces for hours to a few days.

there was some talk like that at the beginning. but I thought that was dismissed . I'll look it up
..you wash your hands directly after touching something, you are probably OK....
That is what I thought.
oh nice find.
oh oh.

Reactions: Brian W
Well maybe 🤔 lou but I don’t recall if I wash my hands when I gas up

Reactions: Lou
From mandates to freezer bags on hands, this thread is terrifying, and not because of a virus.

I can't be the only person to think this here.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
I have 5 expired free test kits 🙄
Have your COVID-19 rapid tests expired? Don’t toss them yet.
Federal regulators have extended some tests’ expiration dates, meaning certain offerings are now usable for months longer.
The reason for the extension, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said, is that in the rush to get rapid test kits available, the agency typically authorized a shelf life of only about four to six months from the day of manufacture.
But manufacturers are continuing to test kits beyond their initial expiration dates, and some are finding that tests are good for longer periods.

Once the manufacturer has more data on the shelf life of the testing kits — such as 12 or 18 months — the company can request the FDA to authorize a later expiration date, the agency said.
To check whether your test kit is still good beyond the printed expiration date, you can search on the FDA’s “At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests” website.

Type in the brand name on the FDA site, and a link will appear showing a list of updated expiration dates.
You may have to check the lot number on your package. For instance, say you’re trying to look up an iHealth COVID-19 test kit with lot number 222CO20208. Scroll down the document to find your lot number, and you’ll find that the original expiration date of Aug. 7 has been extended to Feb. 7, 2023.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
The world is a dirty place. I just pay attention to disinfecting myself before touching my face or eating anything, or getting into my personal space like my car, house, or cubicle. I keep sanitizer but also keep some hydrogen peroxide for stomach viruses. First thing I do when I get in my house is scrub my hands really good, then I’m all set. Getting norovirus twice in one winter broke me from biting my nails, and made me a lot more conscious of my surroundings. Covid happened the next winter.

I didn’t realize my kits just expired. But I’m sure they will be better than nothing if I need them. They’re kept in a cool cabinet out of the sun.

Have your COVID-19 rapid tests expired? Don’t toss them yet.
Federal regulators have extended some tests’ expiration dates, meaning certain offerings are now usable for months longer.
The reason for the extension, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said, is that in the rush to get rapid test kits available, the agency typically authorized a shelf life of only about four to six months from the day of manufacture.
But manufacturers are continuing to test kits beyond their initial expiration dates, and some are finding that tests are good for longer periods.

Once the manufacturer has more data on the shelf life of the testing kits — such as 12 or 18 months — the company can request the FDA to authorize a later expiration date, the agency said.
To check whether your test kit is still good beyond the printed expiration date, you can search on the FDA’s “At-Home OTC COVID-19 Diagnostic Tests” website.

Type in the brand name on the FDA site, and a link will appear showing a list of updated expiration dates.
You may have to check the lot number on your package. For instance, say you’re trying to look up an iHealth COVID-19 test kit with lot number 222CO20208. Scroll down the document to find your lot number, and you’ll find that the original expiration date of Aug. 7 has been extended to Feb. 7, 2023.
Oh I did hear that, I really do keep things way past their date and either call my doctor and/or look up online.
I still have a bag of waaay expired pills I need to take to city hall for disposal!
Meds for my cats have certainly been passed down, esp the prednisolone

Reactions: KLS52
What happened to reducing our use of sanitizers because they were affecting the effectiveness of antibiotics?
I really thought with all the extra cleaning we got into with covid we'd start getting stronger bacteria strains, and antibiotic resistent diseases like ecoli and staph

Reactions: KLS52