Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

So sorry to hear this. I hope you get through it without it being too bad. đź’™

This is what I found from the CDC:

“Stay home for at least 5 days
Stay home for 5 days and isolate from others in your home.
Wear a well-fitted mask if you must be around others in your home.
Do not travel.
Ending isolation if you had symptoms
End isolation after 5 full days if you are fever-free for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medication) and your symptoms are improving.
Ending isolation if you did NOT have symptoms
End isolation after at least 5 full days after your positive test.
If you were severely ill with COVID-19 or are immunocompromised
You should isolate for at least 10 days. Consult your doctor before ending isolation.
Take precautions until day 10
Wear a mask
Wear a well-fitted mask for 10 full days any time you are around others inside your home or in public. Do not go to places where you are unable to wear a mask.
Do not travel
Do not travel until a full 10 days after your symptoms started or the date your positive test was taken if you had no symptoms.
Avoid being around people who are at high risk”

In my mind, the most important thing would be to at least wear a mask once you start going out again. I think one of the hardest things to discern is at what point we are no longer shedding the virus.
Yes, I read similar.

I was trying to think where I went during the week and I can't even think. I felt ill on Saturday the 5th (but it felt like a hangover and I had just been out for my birthday the day before and drunk quite a lot) but then felt okay from the 6th until the 10th when I then got a cough and a temperature.

I know I didn't travel on any trains or any buses last week but I must have gone into local stores a few times when I felt okay.:???:

I looked what position is the best to sleep in with Covid and a lot of the advice (including on the NHS) was to sleep on your front as it can make getting oxygen into your lungs easier. It is called the prone position. I tried it last night and found it so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep like that!

I also read that gargling with TCP antiseptic liquid a few times a day is supposed to work too. I tried it yesterday and gargled with it in hot water and I do feel much better today. I told my husband to do it too but he forgot and only did it once before he went to bed last night and he is still in bed coughing much more than me now, *rolls eyes*. I really feel a lot better now.

It was lucky we had TCP in the house as I was quite surprised I even had any. I'm going to make sure I have it in the medicine box now as it is most effective if you take it on the first sign of a sore throat/cold.

I looked what position is the best to sleep in with Covid and a lot of the advice (including on the NHS) was to sleep on your front as it can make getting oxygen into your lungs easier. It is called the prone position. I tried it last night and found it so uncomfortable that I couldn't sleep like that!

I also read that gargling with TCP antiseptic liquid a few times a day is supposed to work too. I tried it yesterday and gargled with it in hot water and I do feel much better today. I told my husband to do it too but he forgot and only did it once before he went to bed last night and he is still in bed coughing much more than me now, *rolls eyes*. I really feel a lot better now.

It was lucky we had TCP in the house as I was quite surprised I even had any. I'm going to make sure I have it in the medicine box now as it is most effective if you take it on the first sign of a sore throat/cold.

Is that on your stomach?

Yes. There is a doctor on YT or IG that shows the four prone positions for people with Covid so I just watched that, but I just can't sleep in that position. I had to sleep partially sitting up most of the night.
I heard that too…I know they did/do that for people in the hospitals. If you’re managing at home I would think whichever position is most comfortable would be the thing to do. If I were feeling like I couldn’t breathe/get oxygen into my lungs, then I would try harder to lie on my stomach.

@Raven sending you healing thoughts and hope you both feel better soon

Do you have an oxygen meter at home so you can keep on eye on it for both of you? I think they are better known as pulse oximeters and you can find them fairly cheaply at walmart or on amazon or from a pharmacy. When you have trouble breathing like that it may be best to double check if you can.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
@Raven sending you healing thoughts and hope you both feel better soon

Do you have an oxygen meter at home so you can keep on eye on it for both of you? I think they are better known as pulse oximeters and you can find them fairly cheaply at walmart or on amazon or from a pharmacy. When you have trouble breathing like that it may be best to double check if you can.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I don't, maybe we should get one.

We both feel loads better today, just a chesty cough, but not that bad.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Ok, now this is starting to seem like a blatent cash grab at this point...

Sorry, my link isn't working. Will try later.

But the gist of it is now they are looking to make a 4th booster.

A 5th and 6th will likely follow into.

Yeah there is a lot of talk about a 4th booster lately.
I don't think its motivated by cash.
Just look around you. SO many people who didn't get covid during the first couple of surges, now have it. The present vaccines are all very good at providing some immunity for the first couple of variants but not the last couple. And keep in mind that the more people who have covid gives the virus more opportunities to mutate. Creating more variants, and some are going to be more resistant to the vaccine. Or like Omicron, more communicable. What we don't want to see is a variant that is more communicable, more resistant, and deadlier.
We have already been seeing the word endemic being thrown around. The flu is endemic. Every year they come up with a newly formulated flu shot and people line up to get it. I expect Covid vaccines to eventually get to that point.
Keep in mind that the Spanish Flu didn't just go away, it mutated into other forms. H1N1 (swine flu) has some of the same DNA.

Reactions: Andy_T
Yeah there is a lot of talk about a 4th booster lately.
I don't think its motivated by cash.
Just look around you. SO many people who didn't get covid during the first couple of surges, now have it. The present vaccines are all very good at providing some immunity for the first couple of variants but not the last couple. And keep in mind that the more people who have covid gives the virus more opportunities to mutate. Creating more variants, and some are going to be more resistant to the vaccine. Or like Omicron, more communicable. What we don't want to see is a variant that is more communicable, more resistant, and deadlier.
We have already been seeing the word endemic being thrown around. The flu is endemic. Every year they come up with a newly formulated flu shot and people line up to get it. I expect Covid vaccines to eventually get to that point.
Keep in mind that the Spanish Flu didn't just go away, it mutated into other forms. H1N1 (swine flu) has some of the same DNA.

The problem isn't the fully vaccinated. The problem is the unvaccinated.

They are the ones causing the new variants.

Anyone who isn't vaccinated at this point, will never be vaccinated, no matter how many boosters there are.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
The problem isn't the fully vaccinated. The problem is the unvaccinated.

They are the ones causing the new variants.

Anyone who isn't vaccinated at this point, will never be vaccinated, no matter how many boosters there are.
I couldn't find any data on how many people got their first dose last month but hundreds of thousands got A dose last month. Sure most of those were second or thirds. and some were kids who weren't ellible until now but I think there is a steady trickle of people getting vaccinated for the first time*. But I don't have any evidence of that.

Maybe the new variants are coming from the unvaccinated but I don't think there is any evidence to support that. Not sure if its even possible to collect that kind of data. but...

They are tracking the number of break through cases. Which is tough for various reasons. And it looks like the number of deaths among the fully vaccinated is close to 0%. hospitalization rates are super low, too. . But there are confirmed breakthrough cases. and since the fully vaccinated might not feel any symptoms or get tested, the reporting has got to be low. The thing is they can still speed the disease and the disease has a place to mutate. And if you are going to get a variant that is vaccine resistant its probably going to start in a vaccinated person.

* job requirements, travel requirements, vacations, sick of getting tested each week, home situation changes.

I couldn't find any data on how many people got their first dose last month but hundreds of thousands got A dose last month. Sure most of those were second or thirds. and some were kids who weren't ellible until now but I think there is a steady trickle of people getting vaccinated for the first time*. But I don't have any evidence of that.

Maybe the new variants are coming from the unvaccinated but I don't think there is any evidence to support that. Not sure if its even possible to collect that kind of data. but...

They are tracking the number of break through cases. Which is tough for various reasons. And it looks like the number of deaths among the fully vaccinated is close to 0%. hospitalization rates are super low, too. . But there are confirmed breakthrough cases. and since the fully vaccinated might not feel any symptoms or get tested, the reporting has got to be low. The thing is they can still speed the disease and the disease has a place to mutate. And if you are going to get a variant that is vaccine resistant its probably going to start in a vaccinated person.

* job requirements, travel requirements, vacations, sick of getting tested each week, home situation changes.

This article is 6 months old, but the PNAS disagrees with you.

"The real danger is a future variant, which will be the legacy of those people who are not getting vaccinated providing a breeding ground for the virus to continue to generate variants. A variant could arise that is resistant to current vaccines, rendering those already vaccinated susceptible again."

“They play a huge role. If everyone is vaccinated, eventually infections drop to zero and so do variants,“ Parikh said. “But if the virus has an easy host, such as an unvaccinated individual, then it is easy for it to mutate into a more contagious and virulent form.”

WTHeck is going on..,

“China has locked down the southern city of Shenzhen, home to 17.5 million people, as it scrambles to blunt the country’s worst-ever coronavirus outbreak. All Shenzhen residents will have to undergo three rounds of testing and are largely confined to their homes. Hong Kong continues to face its worst surge of the pandemic, with hospitals forced to treat an overflow of patients in parking lots and lobbies.
COVID cases are on the rise across Europe, with France, Germany, the U.K., Italy and the Netherlands reporting upticks in daily cases. Despite the rising case counts, France lifted most of its public health measures today, including the widespread use of masks indoors. Meanwhile, some health experts in Britain are calling on officials to expand and speed up a plan to make a fourth vaccine dose available to vulnerable people.”

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
This really is NOT a good time to be letting our guard down 🙄 :dismay:
I did go shopping without a mask a couple times, then thought the better of it.
I'm gonna get a strap so I can keep a mask at hand at work too, I am 90% alone, but at times.... We stopped our mandate about a week back, a few people still wear them--the vaxxed of course 🙄

TJ Maxx is one of the few employers around here that is still requiting employees to wear masks. Even Publix has made it voluntary. There are still a few people wearing them but most aren't. I admit I am not wearing one most of the time. I do not have close contact with other people very often.

This article is 6 months old, but the PNAS disagrees with you.

"The real danger is a future variant, which will be the legacy of those people who are not getting vaccinated providing a breeding ground for the virus to continue to generate variants. A variant could arise that is resistant to current vaccines, rendering those already vaccinated susceptible again."

“They play a huge role. If everyone is vaccinated, eventually infections drop to zero and so do variants,“ Parikh said. “But if the virus has an easy host, such as an unvaccinated individual, then it is easy for it to mutate into a more contagious and virulent form.”
I'm not sure but I think there is no "disagreement".
Everything they said is right but....
Vaccinated people are getting infected. Not a high percentage but the % is probably underreported. These vaccinated infected are also a reservoir.
Not sure about the science but if it works something like antibiotic resistance - the vaccine resistant variants could very well come from a vaccinated person.

Reactions: Mischief
I'm not sure but I think there is no "disagreement".

I was responding to your last sentence. You seemed to suggest that it was the primarily the vaccinated that were causing mutations that were vaccine resistant. That's just not true. Any mutation will make the vaccine more resistant to some degree to the prior vaccine. It doesn't have to be a mutation developed while in a vaccinated host.

The unvaccinated are the primary cause of mutations.

It is a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

I was responding to your last sentence. You seemed to suggest that it was the primarily the vaccinated that were causing mutations that were vaccine resistant.

That is not what I meant. What I meant is that unvaccinated people could ALSO be reservoirs for the virus. AND IF it does work like antibiotic resistance (and I'm not sure of the science -is anyone?) vaccine resistant strains could be developing inside the vaccinated infected people.