Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

So weird how niece, husband and son all got it but my daughter SIL and granddaughter all escaped catching it from grandson. There is no rhyme or reason with this virus šŸ¦ 

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Son that hasn't gotten vaxed just texted that his coworker tested positive so he needs a test. o_O . He's scheduled for shot next week.
We've had about twice the cases recently.
I'm really so glad we gret tested weekly

Oh F! He said every sales associate but himself and one other hasn't gotten covid!

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have been observing customers at work and counting the mask wearers. A lot of people have stopped wearing them and some days I think the majority of the people in the store are maskless. And no one bothers to social distance at all anymore. :(
I guess people are just tired of the whole situation, which i get, but people need to think of others. I have noticed that when I hit the drive-thru for a coffee, hardly any drivers wear a mask when they approach the window, even though the workers are wearing them. How hard is it to pop one on for two minutes to show a little consideration for people who are risking their health and lives by having to work with the public? I am really tired of selfish, inconsiderate people.

I feel like we are 100% back to where we started in March 2020. šŸ˜©
Right? <sigh> Connecticut's daily test positivity rate topped 20% today. Highest since the pandemic started. Hospitalizations are going up, but not as fast, which is good. I suppose we'll get a better picture of how serious omicron is in a couple of weeks. Sometimes hospitalization numbers lag behind case reporting. That said, we're up over 1,000 in the hospital, which we haven't seen since last winter.

Right? <sigh> Connecticut's daily test positivity rate topped 20% today. Highest since the pandemic started. Hospitalizations are going up, but not as fast, which is good. I suppose we'll get a better picture of how serious omicron is in a couple of weeks. Sometimes hospitalization numbers lag behind case reporting. That said, we're up over 1,000 in the hospital, which we haven't seen since last winter.
I think you can take the positivity rate with a grain of salt. A lot of people don't get tested unless they are symptomatic or had a contact.

I'm even thinking of not getting too worried about the new cases stat. So many new cases - especially among the vaccinated are pretty minor.

The thing that I'm keeping my eye on is hospitalizations and deaths.

For instance I just checked the Data Tracker for Connecticut. number of cases are at an all time high. hospitalizations are very high too. but deaths are still very low. lower than last spring or last winter.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I think you can take the positivity rate with a grain of salt. A lot of people don't get tested unless they are symptomatic or had a contact.

I'm even thinking of not getting too worried about the new cases stat. So many new cases - especially among the vaccinated are pretty minor.

The thing that I'm keeping my eye on is hospitalizations and deaths.

For instance I just checked the Data Tracker for Connecticut. number of cases are at an all time high. hospitalizations are very high too. but deaths are still very low. lower than last spring or last winter.
That's why I said we'll know how bad this really is in a few weeks, to see whether hospitalizations and deaths spike.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I wonder how many people are testing at home and not getting counted in the positivity count. And then you have those who have it but assume itā€™s just a cold or flu and donā€™t test at all.

That's why I said we'll know how bad this really is in a few weeks, to see whether hospitalizations and deaths spike.
Yes you are right. last winter we had a spike in January.

BTW, something that I disregarded yesterday was that all these new cases also mean more total virus. and the more virus there is the greater the chance of a dangerous mutation.

this marks the one year anniversary of the vaccine.

Fauci said, it's "a matter of when, not if," the definition of ā€œfully-vaccinatedā€ is changed to include a third shot.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I wonder how many people are testing at home and not getting counted in the positivity count. And then you have those who have it but assume itā€™s just a cold or flu and donā€™t test at all.

our case numbers are so high that they have asked people to stop getting tested unless they are high risk or work in high risk settings... it is actually more inclusive than that but you get the idea... it is so widespread that it really isn't worth testing for... so actual numbers of cases will no longer be evident and hopefully they will still continue to report the hospitalizations and deaths as those two numbers matter most - the only downside to the lower testing is that people won't be as scared/aware.... I know that the numbers have scared the ____ out of me

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Tom L.
I agree with the numbers being scaryā€¦that and the fact that someone like my stepdaughter can be vaccinated and still get sick enough to be hospitalized. Her oxygen levels are not coming up with the treatment they are doing so last night they tried a new medication that has not been approved for coronavirus but has been given the go ahead for emergency use. Waiting for an update.

They are contemplating moving her to ICU. I didnā€™t realize she wasnā€™t already there. This just did a job on her lungs apparently. They are very inflamed but no talk of pneumonia at least.

Yes you are right. last winter we had a spike in January.

BTW, something that I disregarded yesterday was that all these new cases also mean more total virus. and the more virus there is the greater the chance of a dangerous mutation.

this marks the one year anniversary of the vaccine.

Fauci said, it's "a matter of when, not if," the definition of ā€œfully-vaccinatedā€ is changed to include a third shot.
Yes, if it keeps finding suitable hosts, it's only a matter of time before we get yet another mutation, one that might be able to evade the vaccines altogether.

Yep. The sheer numbers could result in the hospitals being overwhelmed by patients. A small percentage of a very large number could still mean a lot of people in the hospital. So far, Connecticut is doing OK with that, but there also is a shortage of medical staff. A lot of people left the field after burnout from the past couple of years.

So... as you guys might know we were in lockdown in Auckland for 4 months... August to December...

Was weird but has been so much going on here that it all felt surreal, feel like it went fast enough.

Now i am in a weird position. I went to get a vacks exemption fro the doctor, who said i qualified, but then said that doctors had been told by the ministry of health that they were not to give them out to anybody.

the doctor offered to give me one but also said they were worried about getting in trouble with the ministry. So it didnt happen because getting a good doctor in trouble is not good for anyone.

The following week, it was announced that no doctor is alowed to give out an exemption and anyone seeking one had to write to the Director General of Health, who would examine each case.

So i dont have one. I am in a strange position because it means i dont have a vacksine passport. So i cant go to the following... restaurants, cafes, night clubs, bars, swimming pools, libraries, gyms.

I can access essentIals, and go to the mall and buy clothes.. and get takeaways.

so weird, kind of like being in a movie.. i think this will be for at least 6 months.

Last edited:
I took a home test because I had one that was expiring this month. Iā€™m not feeling great but I think itā€™s allergies. Itā€™s just settling in my chest for some reason.
Anyway itā€™s negative which I suspected. But it was kind of fun. I did the On/Go brand and you do everything through the app. It was very cool especially since it turned out negative.
3D1EDE8B-021D-4A10-BFBA-002EFF5C9E48.jpeg

I have a few of the binax now but I wish I would have purchased more of the on/go.

My sons test came back negative! Whew
The at home tests are hard to come by here now.
They are hit or miss. I got a few in Walmart.com but you have to check regularly, every day and sometimes throughout the day. They go so fast. I got lucky a few times. Several stores like cvs Walgreens and big y get them often but again, they sell out quickly.

The ER in one of our local hospitals had to admit two patients but keep them in the ER because there were no available beds. šŸ˜ž

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Freesia
So to continue what i was writing yesterday. Summer is in full swing now.. Auckland came out of lockdown in early December, just in time for Christmas, New Years etc.

And so many are in holiday mode. Half of the neighbourhood have left Auckland and are now all around the country, in various camp grounds and beach houses.

But not me. I am in a kind of extended lockdown, essentially the things i am doing havent changed since being in lockdown. Only going to buy petrol and food. The shops are now available but tbh things dont really feel normal right now, unsettling and unpleasant in many ways.

I did have one foray to the mall just before Christmas, which involved running in at 9am as the door was just opening, buying a few things then running out again at 9:20 before the shoppers arrived. I dont need anything now and dont intend to go there again in a while. If i do i will simply do the same 9am smash and grab...

It would be nice to have a nice summer holiday, but with things being so.. weird.. I have kind of accepted that it isnt going to happen. And it will be Autumn before i know it.. šŸšŸ‚