Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

There is a concert next month that I am considering going to. I think it might be too early to be in a club, though.
I feel you. I've skipped several that I would have gone to pre-COVID. I have a ticket for a show in November, but with the numbers going up and up, I may skip that one, too. Fortunately, the ticket wasn't that expensive. Still, I so miss live music. :(

My daughter got a text from a friend who works in the ER:

“Work was a real struggle today. I feel like we are back where we started. Feels as though nothing has changed and even feels worse this time around. Not sure why protecting ourselves by wearing masks has become political and devisive. And for those who don’t think it’s real, there is nothing more real than telling a patient and their loved ones that they are going to die from covid.”

☹️😢

I talked to a customer in TJ Maxx the other day who is a nurse. She said she is so stressed out and needs a break badly. Kevin also says things are bad. I am very discouraged and I have ordered more masks cause we will be wearing them for a long time now. :(

"People should not have to die so some politicians can own the libs," Acosta continued. "They're not owning anybody. They may end up owning the pandemic because they're prolonging it. Perhaps it may be time to start naming these new variants after them. Why not call it the DeSantis variant instead of the Delta variant?"​

My daughter got a text from a friend who works in the ER:

“Work was a real struggle today. I feel like we are back where we started. Feels as though nothing has changed and even feels worse this time around. Not sure why protecting ourselves by wearing masks has become political and devisive. And for those who don’t think it’s real, there is nothing more real than telling a patient and their loved ones that they are going to die from covid.”

☹️😢
This is so distressing. If mask wearing and vaccines weren't so politicized, I feel like we'd be in much better shape.

For my part, it bugs me that, in some places (such as on the bus), we still have to wear a mask even if we're vaccinated. Early on, I asked a bus driver, and he said that all the company's drivers were vaccinated but still had to wear masks. And now we've got the Delta strain, which the vaccines give some protection against, but not as well as against the older strains.

Some authorities are complaining about the unvaccinated people. Okay- they have reason to be angry: if there's a sizeable pool of unvaccinated people for the virus to infect, it will probably be able to evolve more dangerous strains more rapidly- and that's a threat to us all, especially to those who CAN'T get vaccinated for some reason. But sometimes I wonder for a moment why I bothered with the vaccine when I have to wear a mask anyway- even though at least I don't have to wear it at work or in the supermarket anymore.

Reactions: Freesia and Lou
@Tom L.
The reason you got vaccinated is to protect yourself.
You wear a mask to protect others. (at least until everyone gets vaccinated)
If you don't care about others you can stop wearing the mask. but even tho I don't really care about the willfully unvacinated there are innocent children's lives at stake. Plus until we hit the finish line the GP is still a breeding ground for the next lethal mutation.
Even vaccinated people can spread the delta variant (1) to the unvaccinated.
And not all the unvaccinated are "knuckleheads". (2) Some are under 12. Some are just too frail.

1. now being referred to as the DeSantis variant
2. According to NJ Governor Murphy the people who choose to go unvaccinated are knuckleheads.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
Part of me can't even believe this is real. It's like a nightmare.

So glad I am moving out of London!
Agreed, though the world has seen much worse pandemics.

The 1918 Spanish Flu (Spanish flu - Wikipedia) killed my grandmother's sister - her Christian Science mother refused to get medical care for the child - other relatives had to intervene to prevent harm to the other children.

And, of course, smallpox had a 50-99% fatality rate to First Nation communities when the virus first arrived in the Americas via Europeans: Columbian Exchange | Diseases, Animals, & Plants

Agreed, though the world has seen much worse pandemics.

The 1918 Spanish Flu killed my grandmother's sister - her Christian Science mother refused to get medical care for the child - other relatives had to intervene to prevent harm to the other children.

And, of course, smallpox had a 50-99% fatality rate to First Nation communities when the virus first arrived in North America via Europeans: Columbian Exchange | Diseases, Animals, & Plants
Covid has killed almost 4 million

HIV is up to approx 30 million.

Spanish flu WAS really bad - 40 million(but the flu didn't kill that many directly - pneumonia usually finished the job. Today we have antibiotics)

Smallpox - 56 million

Black plague 200 million. And the world's population was much smaller back then. I think it wiped out a third of Europe.

So yeah, this is like nothing. what is all the fuss about. ;)

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
The NYT had two good op Eds today.

Private conversations among the inoculated take an even less diplomatic turn: “We were so close, and these stupid, unvaccinated jerks ruined it for the rest of us.”​

The optics of countless socially distanced funerals is less offensive to those conservatives than the optics of being socially distanced in a Fuddruckers.​

Reactions: Emma JC
@Tom L.
The reason you got vaccinated is to protect yourself.
You wear a mask to protect others. (at least until everyone gets vaccinated)
If you don't care about others you can stop wearing the mask. but even tho I don't really care about the willfully unvacinated there are innocent children's lives at stake. Plus until we hit the finish line the GP is still a breeding ground for the next lethal mutation.
Even vaccinated people can spread the delta variant (1) to the unvaccinated.
And not all the unvaccinated are "knuckleheads". (2) Some are under 12. Some are just too frail.

1. now being referred to as the DeSantis variant
2. According to NJ Governor Murphy the people who choose to go unvaccinated are knuckleheads.
ARGH- thanks for reminding me. I have heard that if you're vaccinated, you still might develop an infection, and conceivably infect someone who has no protection at all- BUT the vaccine does at least prevent the vaccinated themselves from serious illness. I do care about the unvaccinated, but there's only so much I can do (or not do)- and ultimately, it's their funeral. (Literally). I usually would just make an effort to not associate with unvaccinated people when I felt like going maskless. I haven't minded the mask generally, but today is hazy, hot, and humid where I am and as soon as I'm alone the mask comes OFF.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I just read some comments on Facebook on a post about Florida's huge numbers of covid cases. Sadly MANY of them are still delusional saying the numbers are a lie "fake news" ( someone I know said this). The commenters are blaming Biden for "opening the border to millions of infected". That is their current delusion to blame Biden for the rise in covid cases. I must stop reading comments.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Covid has killed almost 4 million

HIV is up to approx 30 million.

Spanish flu WAS really bad - 40 million(but the flu didn't kill that many directly - pneumonia usually finished the job. Today we have antibiotics)

Smallpox - 56 million

Black plague 200 million. And the world's population was much smaller back then. I think it wiped out a third of Europe.

So yeah, this is like nothing. what is all the fuss about. ;)
There's plenty of reason to take COVID seriously, and to continue taking serious action. I just don't want people to sink into mental despair.

Reactions: Lou
The commenters are blaming Biden for "opening the border to millions of infected". That is their current delusion to blame Biden for the rise in covid cases. I must stop reading comments.
Yes, of course, because millions of people are crossing the border between Mexico and Northern Florida :joy:

According to the 2018 US Census Bureau estimates, Florida's population was 74.7% White (53.3% Non-Hispanic White), 16.0% Black or African American, 2.8% Asian, 0.3% Native American and Alaskan Native, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 3.3%

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
The commenters are blaming Biden for "opening the border to millions of infected".
That is just what your Govenor is telling them - and then it gets repeated on Fox News. then again on Facebook and Twitter.

Future Floridians will be naming cemeteries after DeSantis.

Reactions: Emma JC