Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Isn't it funny how information on cleaning products is passed down through the ages like folklore?

My family tends to be big on keeping things separate. We're kind of paranoid about not mixing different products, we have designated sponges for different things, etc. Even in my kitchen sink, I have a sponge for ordinary use and a separate sponge for gross stuff like cleaning the drain. I have learned that some use the same sponge for everything and view the multiple sponge technique as wasteful.

I think it only makes sense to use a separate sponge for sink/drain cleaning and yet since there are no more animals products contaminating my kitchen it is easier to clean and less chance of nasty contaminants so I don't worry so much.

We had an article in our news today about how long the virus can live on surfaces and I am careful to wash my hands after shopping etc and leaving some groceries aside to rest but I am way more careful about breathing other people's air.

We can see a bar/restaurant from our highrise and last evening I watched an older couple (70's or 80's) get out of their car, with masks on, and enter the restaurant for a sit down meal (it was too cold yesterday for outdoor eating). This is happening as most of our province is shut down for eating in restaurants, we just happen to fall outside the Toronto GTA area and so don't have that is place again as yet. I just wonder what they were thinking? and why, at their age, they feel such a lack of vulnerability.

Emma JC

Isn't it funny how information on cleaning products is passed down through the ages like folklore?

My family tends to be big on keeping things separate. We're kind of paranoid about not mixing different products, we have designated sponges for different things, etc. Even in my kitchen sink, I have a sponge for ordinary use and a separate sponge for gross stuff like cleaning the drain. I have learned that some use the same sponge for everything and view the multiple sponge technique as wasteful.

I don't think its like folklore at all. it is on the package - part of the instructions and the warning. Maybe you didn't read them because the first time your mom handed you a mop and bucket she explained it to you. but that is still not folklore. :)

Although the different sponges is something that I do, too. and no one had to suggest it to me - it is sort of common sense.

Something that I was "taught" to do is to put my sponges in the microwave once in a while to "disinfect" them.

Reactions: silva
Oh. like 100 years ago I took a microbiology class. We did several relevant experiments. Examing our hands and other surfaces before and after different cleaning strategies.
also letting sterile Petrie dishes get contaminated with airborne microorganisms and then putting things in them (like soap, alcohol. bleach, etc. )

of course, I don't remember specific results. and I can't find anything online that goes over this material right now but my general impression/recall is that hot soapy water was like 100x more effective than just plain water.

irrelevant here but it's funny how some things get stuck in your head. garlic was as good or better an antibacterial than any antibiotic.

Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
Well my icky scrubbing sponge migrates from my 'good' one as it gets old. I honestly bring the paper towels I use at work to dry my lunch things to use on the floor, to wipe the perimeter.
I have a bottle of Awesome concentrate I've been using for so long in a spray bottle. It's so cheap at the discount store and says it's eco freindly.
At work we have Simple Green-which is stinky and brown

Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
I don't think its like folklore at all. it is on the package - part of the instructions and the warning. Maybe you didn't read them because the first time your mom handed you a mop and bucket she explained it to you. but that is still not folklore. :)

Although the different sponges is something that I do, too. and no one had to suggest it to me - it is sort of common sense.

Something that I was "taught" to do is to put my sponges in the microwave once in a while to "disinfect" them.

Hahaha, no, I didn't mean what's written on the package. I do read that stuff.

I was referring to cleaning techniques that vary between households. Not obvious facts like how you shouldn't mix bleach and ammonia. I do understand chemistry and would definitely not view it as folklore.

Last edited:
That report has gotten a lot of traction in the news.

What sort of bugs me is that months ago when it was reported that detectable amounts of CV were found in a cruise ship's cabins that were empty for 2 weeks, the PTB poo-poohed that with the comment that you can't get sick from really tiny amounts.

I think in a day or two there will be somebody who might have some concrete suggestions. what freaks me out is how long it was detectable on fabric - like money.

Maybe it means we go back to disinfecting our cans and boxes we get from the grocery store and Amazon. Quarantining those items for a few days might not be long enough. And now what about the mail?!

In the meantime, we just have to make sure to wash our hands every time we get back from someplace and to keep disinfecting.

I liked this article best because the author added a lot of jokes to help lighten the mood

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I'm finding it hard to find the little tubes of hand disinfectant that I usually carry around with me. I hope shops haven't stopped selling them for good.

TJ Maxx got such an abundance of hand sanitizer that there is a whole 3 tier cart full of them marked down! There were so many there was nowhere to put them!

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Another indication that COVID may be more dangerous than we realize: reinfection, with the second case being more severe.

There is only one documented instance of this so far, but it is something to think about.

... and I was just reading this, this morning, regarding Richard Quest who had covid in April and has been testing for antibodies due his travel and those levels have now dropped...

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
Another interesting (horrid) article I read yesterday about the possibility of it becoming 'endemic' and we will have to learn to live with it. Not happy news and yet I would rather know the possibilities than hope it will magically disappear in a month or so.

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
NYC now has the highest number of COVID-related hospitalizations since June.

That's significant. Back in June, it still seemed dangerous. Then infection rates went down and everyone relaxed a bit.

I'm in a hot spot area with restrictions. I've been hearing more sirens and seeing more ambulances arriving every day. It's like in the spring - every time I walk down the block, there's another ambulance stopped outside of a building.

I'm shifting my focus to indoor activities. I feel kind of cut off from society, but I don't want to get COVID. So I'm embracing the digital world more. It's OK.

Last edited:
The one thing about the pandemic is that it sure makes dating hard. I don't like dating sites. I like meeting people in person. That's still possible to some extent. But making out with someone, not knowing how safe they're really being about COVID? I don't think I'd take that risk.

I keep imagining what will happen when/if medicine catches up with the virus (vaccine, effective treatments, whatever it takes). People will be feeling social. I'll leave it at that.

I now have imaginary boyfriends. I won't lie. It's better than getting sick.

This is my favorite hand sanitizer. CVS has been carrying it for a few weeks now. I just bought two more. I carry it with me wherever I go.

Reactions: Freesia
This is my favorite hand sanitizer. CVS has been carrying it for a few weeks now. I just bought two more. I carry it with me wherever I go.
Forget something? ;)
I find tons at stores, in everything from the usual pocket size, pumps to repurposed Gatorade bottles and what looks like booze. I think it's pretty awful to use what looks like a bottle a child would drink from, even with the label.
Anyway, their prices are still so jacked up! 32 oz of Purell was a good buy at my discount store! I did like the smell of Purell best. Someone had put some terrible smelling knockoff in a small Purell bottle. I wrote "Pure Hell" on it.

Reactions: Freesia
Not saying it prevents covid or anything, but this is a habit I think I'll try. I suppose I could have picked a better thread?

If, as a bonus, you want to sprinkle some amla powder (dried Indian gooseberry powder) into it, you may make it an even better plaque buster. Amla evidently shows an outstanding cavity-stopping potential not by killing off the bacteria like green tea, but by actually suppressing the bacteria’s plaque forming abilities.

I now keep a mason jar filled with cold-steeped green tea (Cold Steeping Green Tea) with a spoonful of amla in the fridge and swish and swallow a few times a day. For extra credit you can gargle a bit with it too (see my video Can Gargling Prevent the Common Cold?).