Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

What happened to Lysol? The spray bottles of Lysol. It's no longer available online or in stores.
Covid. I’ve been trying to get some for months. Almost had a can this morning from Ace hardware for pickup. Checked out online and everything. Received a confirmation that I Would get an email letting me know when I could pick it up. Then received an email cancelling my order. 🤦‍♀️

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
Covid. I’ve been trying to get some for months. Almost had a can this morning from Ace hardware for pickup. Checked out online and everything. Received a confirmation that I Would get an email letting me know when I could pick it up. Then received an email cancelling my order. 🤦‍♀️

Right, but it's more severe than the other COVID-related product shortages. We had a lull during the summer and there was still no Lysol. And they've had time to ramp up production, but apparently they haven't.

I want a product that cleans AND disinfects. I have a disinfectant in a spray bottle. I also have soap. It's not the same.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
"Manufacturers like Clorox were not prepared for skyrocketing demand in a sleepy sector with reliably steady sales that usually only fluctuate during flu season. And, with global supply chains snarled by the coronavirus, they now can’t produce enough inventory to meet that demand, supply chain experts say."

I managed to get quite a few wipes. And alcohol. Every couple of weeks I’ll see it available online and I’ll grab one. So I’m good there. But I did want the spray for the air. In the beginning it was one of those things they said to save for the healthcare workers I think, like the N95 masks.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I managed to get quite a few wipes. And alcohol. Every couple of weeks I’ll see it available online and I’ll grab one. So I’m good there. But I did want the spray for the air. In the beginning it was one of those things they said to save for the healthcare workers I think, like the N95 masks.

If you're at home soap and water is far more effective in killing the Covid virus compared to alcohol.

If you're at home soap and water is far more effective in killing the Covid virus compared to alcohol.
Yes, I agree. But I’m still wiping down groceries and deliveries that come to the house because I just can’t seem to get out of that mode. I know we are being told that it’s not necessary but I can’t seem to help myself. That’s where the anxiety sometimes takes over common sense. I also wanted the alcohol in the event that I can’t get the hand sanitizer/wipes to bring with me when I go out. I have a little spray bottle and I use it every time to disinfect the shopping carts, doorhandles, and keypads. I don’t doubt that I’m probably excessive but it gives me peace of mind.

I haven't seen Lysol spray since the pandemic started! I have plenty of alcohol, it is available. The wipes are back in stock also. In fact TJ Maxx now has so much hand sanitizer and wipes, there is nowhere to put it!

Reactions: KLS52
Yeah, but alcohol is just a disinfectant. It's not that good for cleaning up a gooey mess - a dirty table top, dog vomit, bathroom grime. Lysol even gets rid of acryllic paint stains on the foor. And without damaging the floor. I miss it. And its counterparts from other brands.

Reactions: Lou
We couldnt get disenfectant for a couple of months during the lockdown... then when it arrived it was only abailable in this giant bottle, so i ended up getting one.

I use wipes on my hands when i am out but i use water wipes, not the sanitizing ones.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Also...
the idea that the coronavirus can live on a surface for a long period of time is not the issue it looked liked at the beginning. but it probably does live on surfaces for a while. I still disinfect the outside of things like cartons of milk. The other groceries, like boxes, cans, potatoes, and apples, I put in quarantine for a day or two.

I haven't seen any disinfecting wipes since April. I have some spray and use reusable cloth to do my disinfecting.

I never did much COVID-related disinfecting. I used to put my packages and groceries in a short quarantine. I also took my shoes off by the door and used a different pair of shoes for the backyard (so as not to hypothetically bring the virus in with my street shoes). I stopped doing those things as studies about surface transmission came out.

Since March, I've been washing my hands every time I re-enter the house. I wear a mask when close to people. I stay in a lot and avoid crowds.

That seems to have worked so far. I've had two antibody tests and they were both negative.

We had 300 new cases today in Brooklyn alone. It's coming back. I highly doubt the zone-specific restrictions will help much. It's just motivating people to go to other parts of the city, which will cause the virus to spread.

I've washed my hands a lot because I worked with used medical equipment for so many years. I now add hand sanitizer when I get in the car from shopping. I do not wipe things down.
I have a spray bottle with water and alcohol. I was going to add a few Tblsp bleach instead, but haven't
Isn't bleach water as good as Lysol? I despite the Lysol smell! Causes me to have asthma cough.

I was just at the discount store and they had 32 oz bottles of Purell for $4.99. Maybe should have bought it? I was thinking instead to switch to isopropyl alcohol and water in a purse size spray instead. Not as handy, but cheap-and a eyeglass cleaner too!

I've stopped using my usual bank because you have to touch the screen with a finger--at least I couldn't with a stylus pen. My other bank I can use a pen to poke buttons. It's like no one EVER cleans those screens!

Yes, I agree. But I’m still wiping down groceries and deliveries that come to the house because I just can’t seem to get out of that mode. I know we are being told that it’s not necessary but I can’t seem to help myself. That’s where the anxiety sometimes takes over common sense. I also wanted the alcohol in the event that I can’t get the hand sanitizer/wipes to bring with me when I go out. I have a little spray bottle and I use it every time to disinfect the shopping carts, doorhandles, and keypads. I don’t doubt that I’m probably excessive but it gives me peace of mind.

I've seen quite a few medical experts who say that the standard store bought hand sanitisers don't contain enough ethanol to kill the covid virus.
Just make sure that you are buying one that has 80 % ethanol. Moreover, it has to be applied correctly.

I have found Lakeland cosmetics & Ocean Free that make one and you can find smaller sized bottles on amazon.(UK only)

"So how much alcohol do you actually need? According to a systematic review of scientific studies by Günter Kampf of the Institute of Hygiene and Environmental Medicine,
Germany, ethanol is highly effective at 80% concentration, which is the level where the alcohol will inactivate an enveloped virus within 30 seconds. At 43% ethanol starts working against the original SARS-CoV-1, whose structure is almost identical to the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19."

How Much Alcohol Do You Really Need In Hand Sanitizer?

5 Litre Hand Sanitiser Gel - 80% Alcohol - Lakeland Cosmetics

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Isn't bleach water as good as Lysol?

As long as there is enough bleach in the water, it should be as good at killing anything that could infect you.

The similarities end there. The products rely on different chemicals. Bleach is mildly corrosive and it lightens the color of surfaces. So it's great for cleaning corrosion-resistant white or light-colored objects, such as a bath tub.

Lysol is designed to be less corrosive. It uses a combination of chemicals - alcohol and ammonia based ones. Some versions also contain some hydrogen peroxide. It's good for table tops, floors - hard surfaces that would be damaged by more corrosive substances. Its chemical composition is great for neutralizing grease, so it helps with food waste and bodily fluids.

Because Lysol contains ammonia-related compounds, it should never come into contact with bleach. It's best to pick just one for a given surface.

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I was lucky to have a bottle of Lysol liquid concentrate cleaner before covid.
Bleach is ok when mixed with water. You just can't store it once mixed. It’s only good for 24 hours. I have a gallon of bleach on hand.
Alcohol also needs to be diluted...here it’s recommended 60-70%. I use 70. So far so so good. So many conflicting opinions/recommendations depending on who you are comfortable listening to.
I feel well stocked at this point between the alcohol, bleach, hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes.

I was lucky to have a bottle of Lysol liquid concentrate cleaner before covid.
Bleach is ok when mixed with water. You just can't store it once mixed. It’s only good for 24 hours. I have a gallon of bleach on hand.
Alcohol also needs to be diluted...here it’s recommended 60-70%. I use 70. So far so so good. So many conflicting opinions/recommendations depending on who you are comfortable listening to.
I feel well stocked at this point between the alcohol, bleach, hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes.

Isn't it funny how information on cleaning products is passed down through the ages like folklore?

My family tends to be big on keeping things separate. We're kind of paranoid about not mixing different products, we have designated sponges for different things, etc. Even in my kitchen sink, I have a sponge for ordinary use and a separate sponge for gross stuff like cleaning the drain. I have learned that some use the same sponge for everything and view the multiple sponge technique as wasteful.

Reactions: Lou
Back on the COVID topic:

The resistance to the new restrictions has taken over our local media. What we've lost is up-to-date info on the actual infection rates and hospitalization rates, and whether it's spreading to new areas or staying contained. That topic does get occasional coverage, but we need more.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC