The Democrats USA (2018-2020)

Well Bernie still reckons he" might" run

http://time.com

Finally, some slight agreement to the makeup of what some of their policies might be.

Instead, a new generation of outspoken Democrats such as Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and California Sen. Kamala Harris are expected to seek the Democratic nomination. All three have embraced Sanders’ call for “Medicare for All” and a $15 minimum wage, among other policy priorities he helped bring into the Democratic mainstream in the Trump era.

Warren does not stand a chance, and Harris an only slightly better one.

"Personality" wise, I think Beto O'Rourke stands the best chance. He's so incredibly likeable, and he's a white male. He has that "it" factor that Bobby Kennedy had, and that Obama has.

He exudes youth and vigor and positivity, which would be quite a contrast to trump and to Pence. (I assume that if trump doesn't run in 2020 for whatever reason, Pence would be the Republican nominee.)

Reactions: Amy SF
A warning about the upcoming race to win the nomination:
“We’ve had diversity before but this is the age of identity politics,” said John Zogby, a pollster and author. [...]

But things could get messy, Zogby warned. “The danger here is the party could explode with identity politics and the liberal/progressive split. Do you have to have a woman on the ticket? Do you have to have an African American on the ticket? Do Latinos say: ‘Hey, it’s our turn, we’ve been loyal.’ If you have a 78-year-old on the ticket, do you need a 42-year-old?”
More:
‘The party could explode’: Democrats prepare for wild 2020 ride (8. Dec. 2018)

I get really tired of the "identity politics" talk, since it's only ever an issue when the candidate is not a cis white male.

Politics has always been "identity politics", but no one gave it a second thought when the candidates were all cis white males; that was the natural order of things, after all.

We just call her AOC because it’s easier to remember. :p

She’s being attacked on all sides because she’s a real threat to the establishment and to business as usual. I consider her a breath of fresh air. If she was old enough, people would definitely be talking about having her run for president. (Presidential candidates have to be a minimum of 35 years of age). But eventually she WILL be old enough, and then they’ll be talking about it for real.

AOS has caused quite the stir. The GOP is obsessed with her because they think her views are extreme and that they can use her to paint all Democrats as extremists.

Also, she does not give a f@$% no matter what they say about her, and that really seems to get their collective goat. They actually booed her when she was sworn in, which AFAIK is the first time that has ever happened.

The other thing that gets to them is her attractiveness. Believe it or not, it's actually a "thing" in conservative circles that conservative women are more attractive than liberal ones. There are actually articles on conservative sites about that.

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
Well with 19 candidates running for the top job, a lot with diverse views to each other. It's going to be difficult for the voters to sort out.

I was reading an article this morning suggesting that the Democratic candidates so far aren't really that good, and as the US economy is doing quite well and Trump is loved by at least 40% of the voters regardless, it's going to be difficult to avoid a second term with this lunatic.

It would seem the political centre globally has shifted to the right, probably as a result of the failure of globalism to bring prosperity to the average person. The wealthy have benefited colossally from globalism, whereas the common man is seeing more cons than pros. As politicians of Trump's ilk tend to reject globalism, and favour 'Our Nation First!' style policies, this is a big part of the reason why they win in elections.

I was reading an article this morning suggesting that the Democratic candidates so far aren't really that good, and as the US economy is doing quite well and Trump is loved by at least 40% of the voters regardless, it's going to be difficult to avoid a second term with this lunatic.

Whether this is true or not depends on where you found the article you read. ;)

Whether this is true or not depends on where you found the article you read. ;)
I actually read it in The Independent, which is supposed to be a left-leaning (but tabloid) newspaper. Though it said the article had originally come from, I think, Washington Post or WSJ or some such newspaper.

I have the TV on, Michael Steele just said "Do you want to be woke? or do you want to win?"
I WANT BOTH!

Dam the dems are so wishy washy and divided! :fp:

Michael Steele is a Republican.
I know, but he's on MSNBC so much, and I'm not so sure he's a repub anymore :shrug:. He's not a trumper for sure! It doesn't matter anyway, it's the question of the day!

I think Beto missed his chance. The "wandering in the desert" spiel didn't go over well. He lost his momentum.