Literature The British English vs American English thread!

I've got a question:

Is 'roughty-toughty' an American or British English expression? I heard an American living in the UK say it on TV. And what exactly does it mean? I have a pretty good idea, but would like to hear what others think.

I've got a question:

Is 'roughty-toughty' an American or British English expression? I heard an American living in the UK say it on TV. And what exactly does it mean? I have a pretty good idea, but would like to hear what others think.
I've never heard that expression here. More commonly used (for not-so-young folks) is "rough & tumble"....

Is it true that the term "car park" is used in the UK? Here we say "parking lot"....

Car park, for me, conjures up an image of joyful little vehicles romping about in a field or something. LOL

upload_2017-5-6_18-32-40.jpeg

Reactions: Amy SF
Is it true that the term "car park" is used in the UK? Here we say "parking lot"....

Car park, for me, conjures up an image of joyful little vehicles romping about in a field or something. LOL

View attachment 11674
Yes, that is indeed what they call it in the UK.

Source: Am married to a Brit.

I haven't heard that expression for about 30 years.:p I think it means rough and ready, usually applied to a man/ men.

Reactions: Second Summer
I was watching the British film The Bank Job.

Several expressions struck my interest. "In case things go pear-shaped" or "if things turn to custard" to describe possible negative results.

"We'd better get a wiggle on" for hurry up, or get a move on, as Americans would say. (I think it was wiggle rather than wriggle, but now can't be sure.)

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the word 'infant' in British English? There is 'infant formula', but you also have 'infant school', which seems to be intended for a completely different age group ...!

In the US, infant refers to a baby, as opposed to infant school which seems to be for children ages 4-7, according to the internet, lol.

Here, infant = baby... before toddler age. Never heard of "infant school"... I think that's better know here as day care. Then when the munchkins are of walking/talking age, there's pre-school, then Kindergarten, and so on....

To me it just means 'child'
Infant means a young child which can also be a baby.
Hmm, confusing! I guess the word comes from French, enfant, or Latin? I've just read that in the UK, as a legal term, infancy lasts until you're 18! I have to say, I think the Americans are making more sense here!

Hmm, confusing! I guess the word comes from French, enfant, or Latin? I've just read that in the UK, as a legal term, infancy lasts until you're 18! I have to say, I think the Americans are making more sense here!
Or in the case of the current U.S. president, it appears infancy can last for over seven decades.... :fp:

I was watching Game of Thrones (Season 1), now out on DVD for rental.

While the story is set in a fictional world, the characters appear to be British and appear to speak British English.

The male characters in the series are not addressed as Sir, but as Ser. Can anyone shed any light on this word?
I could not find it in any on-line dictionary, except as an abbreviation for other words like "series" or "sermon."

Reactions: FortyTwo