British English slang

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've started this thread for the purpose of discussing British English slang.

One of my colleagues used the expression 'a special constable' about another colleague who wasn't present, though from the context I don't think he meant to say the other colleague was doing actual policing, but rather something not PG13! (It was all in good fun, no offence meant.) However, I've tried to google to see if this is a common slang term, but have actually found nothing at all. So was my colleague just inventing his own slang terminology? It's absolutely possible.

Perhaps going a little off-topic, but what is a good response to the infamous "you alright!?"? I've tried a variety of responses over the years, but I always feel a little awkward :dismay: It's one of those situations I still don't feel like I fully master after 15 years ...!

Perhaps going a little off-topic, but what is a good response to the infamous "you alright!?"? I've tried a variety of responses over the years, but I always feel a little awkward :dismay: It's one of those situations I still don't feel like I fully master after 15 years ...!

''Fine, thanks''.

''Fine, thanks''.
Hmm, shouldn't I also say "you alright" or something similar back at them somehow? Or maybe not? Maybe that is my whole problem. Maybe just "fine, thanks", and then move on directly to some other kind of small talk? Does that work?