US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was so touching. 💙

As the mob seized the Capitol, Jamie Raskin thought not of himself, but of his younger daughter, Tabitha, who had asked him not to go to work that day. “This is an essential constitutional moment,” he had told her. Rather than stay home, he proposed another idea: What if she came along?

When Raskin, the congressman from Maryland, rose to address the chamber around 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday, he received a bipartisan standing ovation. He peered around the room, patting his heart in gratitude. His fingers lingered over a torn black cloth affixed to the lapel of his gray suit jacket. The day before, Raskin had buried his 25-year-old son, who on New Year’s Eve left his family a note: Please forgive me. My illness won today. Please look after each other, the animals, and the global poor for me. All my love, Tommy.

On the House floor, Raskin quoted Abraham Lincoln, reminding his fellow lawmakers that they were there to carry out the will of the people, not the orders of one man. Minutes later, voices echoed through the Capitol’s marble hallways. Raskin heard what sounded like a battering ram slamming against the door. He and his colleagues were instructed to retrieve their gas masks. Guns appeared. The chaplain led the room in a prayer. Raskin’s mind flashed to Tabitha, 23, who, along with her sister’s husband, Hank, was seated in the second-floor gallery.

Raskin and the others on the House floor evacuated the building and made their way to a secure location, but spectators had to seek shelter inside the Capitol. Raskin’s chief of staff, Julie Tagen, led Tabitha and Hank to an office, where they hid beneath a table while insurrectionists overtook the building. A group of rioters repeatedly attempted to enter the room. Tagen stood guard next to the blockaded entrance, clutching a fire iron. “I asked her to protect them with her life, and she did,” Raskin told me.

THIS IS A TRIBUTE RASKIN WROTE ABOUT HIS SON WHO WAS A PASSIONATE VEGAN. 😍

I too would Much prefer the Green Party...unfortunately most of the time that would end up being a wasted vote...
And - No, voting is Not a scam...
If voting did anything they would make it illegal, the only way to make the green party something other then a fringe party is for a lot of us to vote for it, I really don't see the democrats doing that much for animal rights or the environment.

I too would Much prefer the Green Party...unfortunately most of the time that would end up being a wasted vote...
And - No, voting is Not a scam...
Actually I worded that pretty poorly, seeing as I said voting does nothing then saying that you should vote green, let me clarify: All forms of government are ****, but if you must vote for someone then your best try is the greens, and you will only get them to become a major party if many people vote for them.

Trump should be prosecuted for murder. He incited the behavior that led to those deaths. Just like Charles Manson was prosecuted for instructing his followers to commit murder.

Trump should be prosecuted for murder. He incited the behavior that led to those deaths. Just like Charles Manson was prosecuted for instructing his followers to commit murder.
Actually all presidents in the last 50 years should be charged with murder for not banning factory farming!

Reactions: Urban Gardener
That's still how it is.

True, society is still that divided. But we have come a long way since the ‘20’s. At least our leaders are more diverse, and anyone can run for office.

Those guys were having a snowball fight because they were all bro’s from the same Ivy League colleges. Politics seemed less divisive because they had demographics in common.

I really don't see the democrats doing that much for animal rights or the environment.
Barack Obama's 2009 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act invested $27 billion dollars in renewable energy, energy conservation, and electric vehicle research and development: American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 - Wikipedia

The renewable energy and electric vehicle industries grew quickly during Obama's presidency (they continued to grow during Trump's presidency, though Trump opposed wind power, belittled solar power, and also opposed government-mandated vehicle fuel-efficiency increases).

The United States' solar energy generation greatly increased during the years 2008-2016 (it still continues): Solar Industry Research Data | SEIA

The cost of solar panels greatly declined during the years 2008 - 2016 (it still continues): One simple chart shows why an energy revolution is coming — and who is likely to come out on top

Electric vehicle adoption greatly increased during the years 2010 - 2016 (it still continues): Plug-in electric vehicles in the United States - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I really don't see the democrats doing that much for animal rights or the environment.
California Proposition 2 (the Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act), which became law in 2008, was supported by California Democrat senators Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein: 2008 California Proposition 2 - Wikipedia

Granted, this is an animal welfare law, not an animal rights law. It doesn't prevent the slaughter/exploitation of farmed animals, but it represents an improvement to the living conditions of farmed animals. In a country where 95% of people eat meat, it would be very difficult to democratically establish a meat ban.

On September 23 2020, California Democrat governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order that, by the year 2035, all new vehicles sold in California must be zero-emission vehicles (electric-powered: battery or fuel-cell): Governor Newsom Announces California Will Phase Out Gasoline-Powered Cars & Drastically Reduce Demand for Fossil Fuel in California’s Fight Against Climate Change | California Governor

Last edited:
From my outsider perspective, the US looks more divided than it has been since at least 2000 (that´s about when I started following US politics) but according to what I´ve read probably much further back than that.

The country I'm from, the one I live in, and most others I can think of (at least proper democracies), are not as divided.

The division in the US seems to go perhaps something like this (?)

"Left"
Democrats
Liberals
Cities
Most TV
Most Newspapers
Big Tech/Social Media
College campuses
Black lives matter

"Right"
Republicans
Conservatives
Majority of libertarians
Rural areas
Trump supporters
Evangelicals
Angry white men who feel let down by the system
White supremacists/racists/neo nazis
Conspiracy theorists, QAnon and assorted wierdos

One powerful group that seems to be fairly neutral at the moment is big corporations, I don´t see them mostly gravitating to one side or the other.

This was so touching. 💙

As the mob seized the Capitol, Jamie Raskin thought not of himself, but of his younger daughter, Tabitha, who had asked him not to go to work that day. “This is an essential constitutional moment,” he had told her. Rather than stay home, he proposed another idea: What if she came along?

When Raskin, the congressman from Maryland, rose to address the chamber around 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday, he received a bipartisan standing ovation. He peered around the room, patting his heart in gratitude. His fingers lingered over a torn black cloth affixed to the lapel of his gray suit jacket. The day before, Raskin had buried his 25-year-old son, who on New Year’s Eve left his family a note: Please forgive me. My illness won today. Please look after each other, the animals, and the global poor for me. All my love, Tommy.

On the House floor, Raskin quoted Abraham Lincoln, reminding his fellow lawmakers that they were there to carry out the will of the people, not the orders of one man. Minutes later, voices echoed through the Capitol’s marble hallways. Raskin heard what sounded like a battering ram slamming against the door. He and his colleagues were instructed to retrieve their gas masks. Guns appeared. The chaplain led the room in a prayer. Raskin’s mind flashed to Tabitha, 23, who, along with her sister’s husband, Hank, was seated in the second-floor gallery.

Raskin and the others on the House floor evacuated the building and made their way to a secure location, but spectators had to seek shelter inside the Capitol. Raskin’s chief of staff, Julie Tagen, led Tabitha and Hank to an office, where they hid beneath a table while insurrectionists overtook the building. A group of rioters repeatedly attempted to enter the room. Tagen stood guard next to the blockaded entrance, clutching a fire iron. “I asked her to protect them with her life, and she did,” Raskin told me.

THIS IS A TRIBUTE RASKIN WROTE ABOUT HIS SON WHO WAS A PASSIONATE VEGAN. 😍

Thank you So much for posting this!
Jamie Raskin sounds like an Amazing person, my heart goes out to him and his family for the loss of Tommy...
Tommy Raskin sounds like an Incredible young man probably Much too sensitive for this screwed up world, what a tragic loss...

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
If you haven’t heard the speech that Arnold Schwarzenegger tweeted yesterday I recommend listening to it...
I have Never been a fan of his, however, I found it pretty inspiring...

Good news from the PGA - they are canceling All tournaments and instituting a Lifetime ban on holding events at trump courses...including stripping trump of hosting the 2022 PGA championship...
Gee wiz! Maybe inciting an insurrection is Bad for business!!

If you haven’t heard the speech that Arnold Schwarzenegger tweeted yesterday I recommend listening to it...
I have Never been a fan of his, however, I found it pretty inspiring...

Good news from the PGA - they are canceling All tournaments and instituting a Lifetime ban on holding events at trump courses...including stripping trump of hosting the 2022 PGA championship...
Gee wiz! Maybe inciting an insurrection is Bad for business!!
The Terminator's speech has had 10 M views on Twitter. It has been rebroadcasted on news channels and on YouTube. Hugely popular!

Anyone else sick of hearing Republicans resist impeachment with calls for "unity"?

Seriously, when in the last 4 years have they chosen unity over political advantage?

We should be unifying around the defense of democracy, not tolerance of seditionists.

Status
Not open for further replies.