US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Trump is desperate because of all the lawsuits awaiting him and maybe his crooked family once he's no longer president. So he will try every avenue even if illegal or deeply unethical. He'll threaten to create a complete mess of the transition, maybe hoping for some kind of 'get out of jail free card' deal in exchange for facilitating an orderly transition.

I saw a video done by the Lincoln Project suggesting to contact Chatfield and Shirkey telling them to do what’s right and uphold the will of the people of Michigan.
So I emailed them! 😊

I saw a video done by the Lincoln Project suggesting to contact Chatfield and Shirkey telling them to do what’s right and uphold the will of the people of Michigan.
So I emailed them! 😊
Good job. then this happened

Reactions: David3 and PTree15
From AP News:

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — A federal judge issued a scathing order Saturday dismissing the Trump campaign’s futile effort to block the certification of votes in Pennsylvania, shooting down claims of widespread irregularities with mail-in ballots.

“One might expect that when seeking such a startling outcome, a plaintiff would come formidably armed with compelling legal arguments and factual proof of rampant corruption,” Brann wrote, so much that the court would have no option but to stop the certification even though it would impact so many people. “That has not happened.”

Link: In blistering ruling, judge throws out Trump suit in Pa.

My comment: In reading some of the pro-Trump YouTube comments, it appears that some (apparently a small %) of Trump's supporters are not convinced by the courts' dismissal of Trump's election fraud claims. Those particular supporters' comments indicate that they perceive the courts' actions as evidence of widespread corruption within the court system itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I was listening to the Daily Show today and I heard a couple of interesting news stories. Maybe they don't belong here but I'm not sure exactly w
My comment: In reading some of the pro-Trump YouTube comments, it appears that some (apparently a small %) of Trump's supporters are not convinced by the courts' dismissal of Trump's election fraud claims. Those particular supporters' comments indicate that they perceive the courts' actions as evidence of widespread corruption within the court system itself.

I don't believe it is a small percentage. I think it is most of them. Maybe just a small percentage is vocal about it.

If it's not the court system, it's the deep state, or the software, or the people counting ballots. Take your pick. Pick two and we'll throw in one more for free.

There was one comment that I saw that I really liked. Now I can't find it but I'll do my best to paraphrase.
If the Democrats are so good at rigging elections, wouldn't we already have universal health care, gun control, and free abortions?

My favorite Q&A is,
Q. What would it take for you to believe the election wasn't rigged?
A. Trump elected.

Reactions: Emma JC and Amy SF

Is there a "Worst idea yet" contest?

Haven't these guys heard the expression, cut off your nose to spite your face?

Actually, I wish these guys luck. I think I'll make a donation to their cause. ;)

In 2015, in the Republican TV debates during the nomination process, the moderator asked that if any candidate wasn´t willing to pledge to support the eventual winner and rule out running as an independent against the eventual Republican nominee, they should raise their hand. Donald Trump was the only one to raise his hand. I thought at the time when I watched it that it was strategic, he was trying to use the threat of splitting the party to make people vote for him.

As those of you in the US already know, Donald Trump is not fundamentally a conservative Republican, so much as an opportunistic narcissist and a populist nationalist. He kept changing his mind for years on whether he was Democrat or Republican before moving hard right in 2015-2016, compared to his previously stated positions. I suspect he just figured out he was never going to have a chance to win the Democratic nomination. But either way, it´s widely believed that he feels little loyalty to either people or values.

I´m wondering if the reason top Republicans are still not calling him out on his undermining of democracy and not respecting the result of the election is because they are worried that he can split the party.

If Trump were to announce that he is leaving the Republican party and feels that they have let him down, or even run as an Independent in 2024 or worse still try to set up his own party, that is very bad for the Republicans. You don´t want to annoy someone who has the power to seriously damage your party just by giving one speech and firing off a few tweets. While there´s no evidence that anything like this will happen, anything as serious as that has to be considered, even if unlikely.

Also, perhaps you hesitate to be the first senior Republican to congratulate Joe Biden and criticize Trump for not conceding if that means you become a hate figure considered a traitor, no longer able to open your own mail or walk alone in public places with confidence, worrying how realistic the death threats are or whether your kid will get bullied in school.

Reactions: Emma JC
Also, perhaps you hesitate to be the first senior Republican to congratulate Joe Biden and criticize Trump for not conceding if that means you become a hate figure considered a traitor, no longer able to open your own mail or walk alone in public places with confidence, worrying how realistic the death threats are or whether your kid will get bullied in school.
Republican former President George W. Bush and Republican Utah Senator (and former presidential candidate) Mitt Romney have both publicly accepted Biden's victory:

At first, I didn't think the Democratic candidates had a chance. But the polls are neck and neck.

My local chapter of Indivisible has a postcard writing program. I called my contact and I'm going to pick up 20 postcards (and addresses) on Friday. Check out what you can do for these Georgia Democrats.

We NEED to take back the Senate. Here is our chance.

(Replying to David)

Yes, aware of those stories, I don't think either of those have any power or influence today. When I refer to senior Republicans I really was thinking of people with influence and power as well as some actual position of authority today (e.g. a senator or in the current administration).

I made a list of top Republicans (of course it's subjective) and the list I came up with was: Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Mike Pence. As far as I know none of those have criticised Trump for not conceding or congratulated Joe Biden.

Whenever it comes up in the news that some Republican has criticized Trump or congratulated Biden or endorsed the results it's usually someone I've never even heard of before this election without any national power.

Chris Christie's recent comments imply that he thinks Trump should concede, although I don't think he said it explicitly. And I have at least heard of him but I'm not sure if he holds any position any more so I'm not sure he counts either.

• Friendly
Yes, aware of those stories, I don't think either of those have any power or influence today. When I refer to senior Republicans I really was thinking of people with influence and power as well as some actual position of authority today (e.g. a senator or in the current administration).

I made a list of top Republicans (of course it's subjective) and the list I came up with was: Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Mike Pence. As far as I know none of those have criticised Trump for not conceding or congratulated Joe Biden.

Whenever it comes up in the news that some Republican has criticized Trump or congratulated Biden or endorsed the results it's usually someone I've never even heard of before this election without any national power.

Chris Christie's recent comments imply that he thinks Trump should concede, although I don't think he said it explicitly. And I have at least heard of him but I'm not sure if he holds any position any more so I'm not sure he counts either.

Well, Mitt Romney is a senator, but in general I agree with you. That said, I think Trump will be forced to resign in the end as more and Republicans come out against him, the states choose their electors and the events just make it impossible for him to continue. Also, while not so many high-ranking Republicans have come out against Trump, how many of them have actively and 100% supported his "lost cause"?

I think they're just being careful because they're afraid of causing a split in the party and afraid Trump will use his still formidable sway over his supporters to un-seat them once they're up for re-election.

11/23/2020

WASHINGTON (AP) — After weeks of fraught delay, the federal government recognized President-elect Joe Biden as the “apparent winner” of the Nov. 3 election on Monday and gave the green light for cooperation on a transition of power. The move came after President Donald Trump suffered yet more legal and procedural defeats in his seemingly futile effort to overturn the election with baseless claims of fraud.

Link: Feds agree to help Biden transition after more Trump defeats

Well, Mitt Romney is a senator, but in general I agree with you. That said, I think Trump will be forced to resign in the end as more and Republicans come out against him, the states choose their electors and the events just make it impossible for him to continue. Also, while not so many high-ranking Republicans have come out against Trump, how many of them have actively and 100% supported his "lost cause"?

I think they're just being careful because they're afraid of causing a split in the party and afraid Trump will use his still formidable sway over his supporters to un-seat them once they're up for re-election.
Fair points. I didn't even realize Mitt Romney was a senator I kind of saw him as a figure who had more sway in the past with little influence today, but I could be wrong.

It's true that very few Republicans outside of Trump's inner circle are really supporting Trump actively on the election challenges, in the first few days when the results weren't so clear yes but not for maybe a couple of weeks now. I've been watching their twitter feeds and for about 2 weeks now they mostly don't comment on the election either way.

Mitt Romney. I wouldn't discount him. A successful businessman, a popular governor, a presidential candidate (twice), and now a senator. He has been a leader of the Republican party for years now. He has been outspoken against Trump and voted to convict Trump during the impeachment (I think he was the only Republican senator to do so). He did not endorse Trump in 2016 or 2020.
He has strong moral convictions. He is very popular in Utah.
He is the most decent Republican senator today.

Mitt is the only current senator who has never endorsed Trump.

"About a fifth of the Republican Senate has explicitly acknowledged Biden's victory. Some GOP senators, including Sens. John Cornyn, Ted Cruz and James Lankford, have called on Biden to receive intelligence briefings but have declined to call him president-elect."

- Here are the GOP lawmakers who have called on Trump to acknowledge Biden's victory

"about a fifth" = approx 10"

If ever a "new" Republican party is formed without Trumpism, I expect Mitt to be one of the leaders. Although the chances of that are probably slim I wouldn't say there is no chance. Far-right Trumpers are threatening to blow up the "old" Republican party.

"It’s tempting to use the analogy of rats fleeing a sinking ship to describe the growing number of Republican elected officials starting to speak out against Donald Trump. But that's really not fair to rats, who tend not to be complicit in driving ships to the bottom of the sea."
- Dan Rather

11/24/2020

Nevada has certified its election results for Biden:

"LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Nevada Supreme Court made Joe Biden’s win in the state official on Tuesday, approving the state’s final canvass of the Nov. 3 election.

The unanimous action by the seven nonpartisan justices sends to Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak results that will deliver six electoral votes from the western U.S. battleground state to Biden."

Link: Biden win over Trump in Nevada made official by court

Status
Not open for further replies.