US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although, I don't think that will work, because I don't think you can be pardoned for crimes you haven't yet been found guilty of!

Ford pardoned Nixon before he was convicted of anything so the precedent is there.

I'd rather not see Trump tried. I'm sure he's guilty of a lot and in a fair world he'd be held accountable for it. But what I really want is for Trump and his politics to become irrelevant and making him a martyr in the eyes of his supporters will only extend his grip on the national psyche. Let him play golf and eat garbage and watch TV desperately hoping to hear himself mentioned only to be disappointed.

Ford pardoned Nixon before he was convicted of anything so the precedent is there.

I'd rather not see Trump tried. I'm sure he's guilty of a lot and in a fair world he'd be held accountable for it. But what I really want is for Trump and his politics to become irrelevant and making him a martyr in the eyes of his supporters will only extend his grip on the national psyche. Let him play golf and eat garbage and watch TV desperately hoping to hear himself mentioned only to be disappointed.
Yeah, the worst punishment for Trump would be to be ignored.

I agree. I just want him to go away.

I agree. I just want him to go away.

I like the idea of him having to face the public's reaction every time he goes out. He'll probably hide. But what if he was walking down the street, having tomatoes thrown at him and getting yelled at?

Reactions: KLS52
The tax things are worth looking at, probably at the state level, I don't think he'll go to jail, but a deal might have to be made.

For his other crimes, I suspect he`ll get away with it.

Even if he is in debt he can easily make millions giving speeches and selling merch so I think he'll be fine.

One clue to his intentions will be whether he campaigns in the Georgia senate elections.

I don´t see him going to live in another country. I just don´t think he´d be happy in any country but the US.

Reactions: KLS52

I agree, though I would love to see him actually pay for his many crimes. But the worst thing for him would be to lose the attention he so desperately craves, so I vote for that. I just want him and his evil family to go away already.

I agree, though I would love to see him actually pay for his many crimes. But the worst thing for him would be to lose the attention he so desperately craves, so I vote for that. I just want him and his evil family to go away already.
The whole crime family and their cult followers aren't going anywhere. It's like the tv show Gotham, or any mob film.
Do you really believe all this country needs is someone to "bring us all together". A leader for "all" people? Ah......Nah....

The whole crime family and their cult followers aren't going anywhere. It's like the tv show Gotham, or any mob film.
Do you really believe all this country needs is someone to "bring us all together". A leader for "all" people? Ah......Nah....
A girl can dream! :D. Sadly, he has way too many supporters.

Reactions: silva and KLS52
I still can’t believe how many people voted for him. Honestly I was shocked.

I was not that shocked. In addition to the reasons that some people vote conservative, such as being pro-life, the party's branding was a factor.

The Democratic party tries to broadly appeal to all voters. However, the modern Republican party has tapped into the fact that masculinity sells. If you make your branding more masculine than the competition, you'll have an edge. Both of Trump's campaigns really banked on that, and it paid off.

Some good news is that Arizona has, in the last couple of days, basically been won by Biden. It is no longer just Biden as favourite. It is a lot stronger than that now, it is virtually certain (98% sure maybe).

If you look at the data, Biden has a lead of 11,000-15,000 votes (sources I found vary and not sure which is right)
tells us that, at the time of writing, there are 24,738 votes left to be counted

Biden only needs to win 20%-25% of what's left and he's been consistently winning at a much better rate than that (like 45%-50% on the type of ballots being counted) and some of the votes left are in areas that favour him. There's just no reason why Trump would suddenly start winning 80%+ of what's left.

Of course AP and Fox called it last week. I predict CNN, NBC and New York Times will call it today or tomorrow. They are probably just waiting for the next 1-2 batch(es) of results to come out and then call it.

The other thing is that recounts are only possible under Arizona law if the margin of victory is under 200 votes. It's not going to be that close. Biden is going to win by thousands of votes.

The Republican Attorney General for Arizona Mark Brnovich has dismissed claims of fraud and conspiracy.

Last edited:
Georgia looks basically over to me as well

Yes it's going to a recount, but I don't see how Trump can win it
Found this interesting comment in a Reuters story:

"A study by the non-partisan group Fair Vote found that out of 31 statewide recounts between 2000 and 2019, the outcome changed in only three of them. More often, the winner won by a tiny bit more. On average, they shifted the outcome by 0.024%, Fair Vote found - a much smaller margin than Trump would need. Biden currently leads Trump in Georgia by 49.5% to 49.2%."

I am not sure why they haven't called Georgia already. Do they not make calls when there is a recount pending.

I think Georgia and its vote counting process is mostly controlled by Republicans? So it's going to be harder for Trump to claim fraud there.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
So Trump now has to overturn results/claim fraud in basically three states now. He's had it.

Also, it now looks certain that Biden's share of the popular vote will be higher than all other candidates put together, i.e. higher than 50%. That's a strong mandate that a lot of Presidential candidates don't get.

He is currently on 50.8% (vs 47.5% for Trump) and may end nearer 51%.

The popular vote lead is 77 million (Biden) - 72 million (Trump). That's big.
It will probably end up nearer 80 - 74.
The reason Biden's lead keeps increasing in the popular vote and will continue to do so is because a large share of uncounted votes is in California and New York.

Last one from me for a while... an update on my post from Sunday (434, page 22).

I had another look on Twitter and news reports at my list of "top Republicans" Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul and Mike Pence.

Although still none of them has conceded, or criticized Trump for not conceding, or congratulated Biden, there is a bit of a shift in tone.

Most of their comments now are about veterans day, the Senate runoff race, or other things (COVID). They are not (broadly speaking as a group) actively fighting the election results at this point. Reality is setting in.

Mike Pence changed his tweet of 5 Nov (I Stand With President @realDonaldTrump. We must count every LEGAL vote.) to a pinned tweet in the last few days but I don't believe has done any public interviews or appeared on video anywhere for about a week now.

It's mostly down to Trump and his sons that keep banging on with the exaggerated and biased claims of fraud.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
However, the modern Republican party has tapped into the fact that masculinity sells. If you make your branding more masculine than the competition, you'll have an edge. Both of Trump's campaigns really banked on that, and it paid off.
Trump's approach doesn't seem masculine to me. It seems more like being an obnoxious *******.

Status
Not open for further replies.