News Terrible lawsuit

By the same token, due to shared equipment there are products widely thought to be vegan/plant based that aren't. For example, the dairy content in "dairy free" dark chocolate can be high enough to cause an allergic reaction:

P.S. I guess the diet I follow is vegan as far as ingredients but not insofar as contamination from shared equipment.

To me this makes sense because for me personally, eating animal products due to contamination doesn't snowball into a relapse of full blown omnivorism, whereas eating something with the same amount of animal product in the ingredients list does.

For example, eating a bar of dark chocolate with dairy in the ingredients list would lead me to eat milk chocolate bars down the road and eventually steak and seafood, etc. This is because after making one exception, I become comfortable making exceptions and it goes downhill from there.

But the animal products that get into my body from contaminated equipment don't have this mental effect of opening the floodgates. I don't consider it making exceptions to my vegan diet to eat them because their inclusion in the products I'm eating is technically unintended.

So, that's the classification system I use which perhaps is not perfect but does result in me staying 99.8% plant based, if say .2% of my diet is actually animal products from contaminated equipment. That's plant based enough for me and more importantly for the animals. I just wanted to add that because I don't want anyone reading that post to be discouraged from eating dark chocolate, which is a really nutritious thing to eat.

Reactions: Lou