Tattoos

Today is the day for tattoo #3. It should feel like a cakewalk after my other two pieces, since this one will take only 1-2hrs, depending on what she came up with for a final design.

My first tattoo (pictured in my avatar) was two sessions totally eight hours, and my second tattoo (the rabbit shown earlier in this thread) was one 6.5 hour session.

I just received an e-mail from the artist, stating her first appointment canceled. So I can actually get mine done at noon instead of 1:30. I am wicked excited. Pics to follow....

And on a related note, I recently heard back from the scheduler for the artist who did the aforementioned rabbit tattoo. I sent a concept for another piece I want him to design. (I always match my tattoo ideas to the style/specialty of the artist.) His books open again in September, to schedule appointments for December and the few months following. He is always booked solid months in advance. I am already eagerly awaiting that one.

Up to this point, I have spaced my tattoos about 3 years apart, but I have spent the interims developing and contemplating a lot of new ideas, So I already have several pieces with concepts developed enough that they are just waiting for the funds and time available. I have selected the artists I want, all that remains will be for me to hand them off to the artist to design and bring to life.

So the night before my appointment, the artist informed me her prior appointment canceled. Not only did this allow me to start my session earlier, but it also gave us an additional hour and a half at our disposal. This turned out to be advantageous, since I opted to go bigger with the area to be tattooed. Our initial hour and a half plan turned into a three hour piece. I could not be happier with the way she brought my very simple concept to life. Full credit goes to Alicia Thomas at Boston Tattoo Company

Strawberries 9.jpg

I went to the local tattoo convention this weekend and met up with the artist who did my tattoo two weeks ago. She was pleased with how it is healing. I looked at a lot of portfolios of other artists, and chatted with a bunch I have my eye on for future pieces. I am already mulling over new ideas. I want to have a future piece that incorporates nature and geometric design, something maybe with fractals/the golden ratio. It will be a while before I figure out something meaningful to me to tie that all together, but I Googled "geometric nature tattoos" and found a lot of great style concepts to consider.

Tattoo #4 has its first session on March 2nd! It is unlike me to get one so soon after my last, but I fell in love with the idea and couldn't wait. It will be the same artist who did my rabbit tattoo. Two full-day sessions booked. This is gonna be a doozy!

I have been hard at work, developing a few new tattoo concepts to the point I can pass them off to my artists of choice to do the designs. There is something I really enjoy about the whole planning process. I start having an inkling (no pun intended) of one or two elements I want the piece to have. I find a skilled artist whose style lends itself to the look I want and the subject matter. I get inspired further by their portfolios and reference materials online. Then over time the little details I need to tie my ideas together into a cohesive concept start to fall into place. Eventually, the placement just seems natural and obvious.

It gets a little tricky because I have to visualize my existing tattoos and future tattoos I may want, to make sure everything will fit together nicely in the long run. I have to allow a certain amount of time for the idea to sit in my head and for me to make extra certain I will love it before finally booking the consult and subsequent session(s).

As it stands now, I have 2 or 3 ideas in various stages in my mind. I swore I would not get new ink until next year, but I feel my resolve weakening. My local tattoo expo will include a few artists I either have plans to work with in the future, or have worked with in the past and plan to again. The expo is coming up in July, so I might find myself doing a consult there...

Anyone out there have any new or upcoming tattoos?

Reactions: PTree15