Taco Mexican Style

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
What is you best tips to make taco in real Mexican style? But vegan of cause.

Chili powder, red pepper flakes or powder, cumin, a little oregano. My favorite beans for tacos are pinto, but kidney, red, pink, or black are fine. I like to mash the beans up after cooking because they are easier to work with then. Sometimes I mix in cooked quinoa or rice in with the beans and spices.

For the hard tacos, the outsides are fried corn tortillas, and the soft tacos are with flour tortillas. I've never made either kind of tortilla; I'm in the US, and they are easy and cheap to buy.

So I warm the tortillas, spread the hot spiced beans (with diced onions that I've sauteed and the quinoa or rice if i have it) on the tortilla, then put shredded lettuce or green cabbage, diced tomatoes, and nutritional yeast. I have tomato salsa on the table.

If I am lucky enough to have fake cheese, I put it on the taco before the hot beans so it will (hopefully) melt. I love tacos. :)

Yes yes yes to all of the above! Being lucky enough to live very near the Gulf of Mexico, having a taqueria on just about every corner, and awesome Hispanic friends, I can tell you that the beauty of tacos is that anything goes. Oddly enough, authentic Mexican tacos are never made with ground beef (like what you see on the menu of any Tex Mex place). A favorite at our house is street tacos -with cooked cubed potato sauteed with soy chorizo. These are lightly mashed. Corn tortillas are warmed in a skillet (use two-it holds together this way)to make them pliable. Fill , fold, seal with a toothpick and pan fry in a small amount of oil. Serve with vegan sour cream, pico de gallo, or a traditional Mexican relish of chopped white onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Enjoy. :up:

Yes yes yes to all of the above! Being lucky enough to live very near the Gulf of Mexico, having a taqueria on just about every corner, and awesome Hispanic friends, I can tell you that the beauty of tacos is that anything goes. Oddly enough, authentic Mexican tacos are never made with ground beef (like what you see on the menu of any Tex Mex place). A favorite at our house is street tacos -with cooked cubed potato sauteed with soy chorizo. These are lightly mashed. Corn tortillas are warmed in a skillet (use two-it holds together this way)to make them pliable. Fill , fold, seal with a toothpick and pan fry in a small amount of oil. Serve with vegan sour cream, pico de gallo, or a traditional Mexican relish of chopped white onion, cilantro, and lime juice. Enjoy. :up:
If I ever get over my fear of traveling, your house is definitely on my list of places I want to visit. Of course, I also have to win lotto. :D

Thanks! I'll try lentils next time! And get them more spicy too. I have even started to make my own taco spices now, as the one bought in the store have too much salt + sugar in it.

I love tacos, but I want more the Mexican style after I saw it made on TV once. And it was not like the Tex Mex style we have here. I usually cook everything together when I don't have visitors, but I really want to take it to the next level! :D

Thanks! I'll try lentils next time! And get them more spicy too. I have even started to make my own taco spices now, as the one bought in the store have too much salt + sugar in it.

I love tacos, but I want more the Mexican style after I saw it made on TV once. And it was not like the Tex Mex style we have here. I usually cook everything together when I don't have visitors, but I really want to take it to the next level! :D

Do you buy your taco shells or make them ? The ones that are available in shops over here taste awful and
do not have that wonderful taste, like the ones that you get in the US.

:eek:
You might try ordering taco shells online. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=taco shells&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Garden of Eatin' is found mostly in natural food stores. The others are mainstream brands. Would you be able to order from Amazon's US store?

I would choke on them if I paid $21 for a pack of Tacos.

I have a tortilla press and make my own ones. However, it is also nice and convienent to be able to buy pack from time to time.

Ya those taco seasoning packets leave a lot to be desired, and are totally unnecessary for real Mexican flavors.
For a lot of flavor, cook beans from dry with onions, garlic, chiles, and spices like cumin, coriander, chile powder, oregano, paprika and salt.
Make traditional Mexican rice easily with white rice, onion, garlic, can of tomato sauce, veggie broth, salt and pepper.
Bean and rice tacos are excellent as is topped with salsa and fresh cabbage.
For more filling try yams or potatoes, seasoned similarly to the beans (steamed, mashed, baked, fried all work great).
Other great taco fillings are, deep fried avocado, fajita style bell peppers/mushrooms/onions, roasted corn, squash, kale and other leafy greens