Anemia

vmack

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I CAN'T eat animals anymore. They have moms. Cows have best friends. However I have gotten anemia so badly in the last 18 months, I was hospitalized. Any tips? I have no idea what I am doing. I know iron is kept in your muscles. That is it. Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I CAN'T eat animals anymore. They have moms. Cows have best friends. However I have gotten anemia so badly in the last 18 months, I was hospitalized. Any tips? I have no idea what I am doing. I know iron is kept in your muscles. That is it. Thank you
Beans, greens and supplements are most vegans' choice but in your case, get medical help and tell them you want only plant-based sources.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Beans, greens and supplements are most vegans' choice but in your case, get medical help and tell them you want only plant-based sources.
Thank you! I love cooking. I have had medical help. I take a multivitamins and magnesium and a B supplements. I still feel a bit weak. I appreciate your help. My grandfather was a farmer. I am no stranger to greens.

Thank you! I love cooking. I have had medical help. I take a multivitamins and magnesium and a B supplements. I still feel a bit weak. I appreciate your help. My grandfather was a farmer. I am no stranger to greens.
Does your B supplement contain B12?

Loads of tips! I was always borderline anemic eating meat so when I quit animals I did alot of research
Foods with vitamin C increases iron absorption and should be eaten together
Coffee and tea should be avoided an hour before, and hour after meals as they can hinder absorption. Calcium can also interfere
I think my best change was cooking in a cast iron skillet!
I hadn't been low since going vegan

I was also borderline anemic before I became vegan.
You might not be doing anything wrong.
Iron absorption does vary per person. And it gets worse as you age.

Iron supplements made my poop turn black and become rock hard. but I find the little bit of iron they put in a multi 10 mg or so seems to be all the supplementation I need.

Keep in mind the foods that improve or hinder absorption .

Every 6 weeks I would get my iron tested when I gave blood and I usually just barely passed. Looking back it might have been the multiple cups of coffee I drank.

However once becoming vegan I didn't have as much of an issue. Mainly because a lot of the foods that make up my diet now have good amounts of iron naturally. Spinach 9 mg per bunch, lentils 7 mg/cup, tofu 6mg/ quarter block.

and I drink less coffee now.

Also I love dried apricots 3mg/cup.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC