Sweet Potato - Facts

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
'According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the single most important dietary change for most people, including children, would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes.'

http://www.foodreference.com/html/sweet-pot-nutrition.html

00695937.jpg

Black bean burger with pesto spread and sweet potato wedges.

Reactions: Dedalus
'According to nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), the single most important dietary change for most people, including children, would be to replace fatty foods with foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweet potatoes.'

http://www.foodreference.com/html/sweet-pot-nutrition.html

00695937.jpg

Black bean burger with pesto spread and sweet potato wedges.
Want...now...That looks so delicious.
I didn't realize they were such a good source of Vitamin C. Very cool.

I didn't know they were that high in protein, although I think I knew about their low glycemic index. I was kind of shocked that green leafy vegetables didn't score higher.

I wish I could develop a taste for them; I can eat them but don't go out of my way for them. And like Calliegirl mentions, it's nice to have a vegetable that's easy to store in quantity- no canning or freezing needed!

I didn't know they were that high in protein, although I think I knew about their low glycemic index. I was kind of shocked that green leafy vegetables didn't score higher.

I wish I could develop a taste for them; I can eat them but don't go out of my way for them. And like Calliegirl mentions, it's nice to have a vegetable that's easy to store in quantity- no canning or freezing needed!

If it is because they are too sweet , you could add them to a chilli or make soup with other ingredients that are less sweet. You could also make mashed potatoes using 1/2 sweet potatoes and 1/2 white.

Reactions: PTree15 and Dedalus
^^^ I think that's it! I do love sweet things, but I usually don't like sweet mixed with savory flavors. I bet many recipes calling for winter squash would work with sweet potatoes too.

But yeah- that pic of a black bean burger with pesto and sweet potato fries on the side looks good....

Reactions: thefadedone
^^^ I think that's it! I do love sweet things, but I usually don't like sweet mixed with savory flavors. I bet many recipes calling for winter squash would work with sweet potatoes too.

But yeah- that pic of a black bean burger with pesto and sweet potato fries on the side looks good....

Roasted sweet potatoes are also delicious.

I've been eating roasted sweet potato and beans for breakfast every morning. Sometimes plain with roasted veggies and other times mixed into a quick chili or stew.

Roasted sweets are my favorite go-to dinner. I like them topped with a garlicky or spicy hummus.

This is also the cooking method that I prefer for sweet potatoes. I always add onions, spices and evo before roasting them. They taste fabulous with tofu burgers or chilli.

Reactions: ledboots
Roasted sweets are my favorite go-to dinner. I like them topped with a garlicky or spicy hummus.

I made some spicy roast wedges for dinner and served them with a tofu burger.

I really think that the roasting method using seasoned sweet potatoes, is by far the best way to cook them.

Ya know how if you eat a certain food over and over again on a regular basis that you end up getting sick of it and not wanting it again for awhile? Well I've been eating a lot of sweet potatoes lately. Unfortunately I have yet to get sick of them. I just want more and more! I am anticipating turning into a potato for 2014. :p

Reactions: KLS52
:D
Ya know how if you eat a certain food over and over again on a regular basis that you end up getting sick of it and not wanting it again for awhile? Well I've been eating a lot of sweet potatoes lately. Unfortunately I have yet to get sick of them. I just want more and more! I am anticipating turning into a potato for 2014. :p

I do and it is a scary feeling.

images