UK Supplements

CaraT2974

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi,

I use a calorie counter to track my food and to ensure I get vital nutrients however the odd day I notice that my b12 levels and calcium levels are down despite eating plenty of fortified breads/cereals. I would like to start taking a good multivitamin to top up my levels which is recommended for vegans. Can anyone recommend a particular good one? I am from the UK. Thanks I’m advance, Cara xx

Because calcium is such a bulky mineral, there is very little in most multis. Although there are calcium supplements, they are not recommended. but if you do decide you need a calcium supplement, you should take one that includes Vitamin D. vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium.

I just checked online and the one that sticks out is DEVA's Multivitamin and mineral supplement. Looking over the supplement facts - it's pretty impressive.
I take DEVA's Tiny Tablet Multi which is more of a minimalist approach to a multi. but this other one is way more comprehensive. It's also cheap. Seven cents per day.

Another solution to the "I need more B12, and calcium" issue is plant milk. That is pretty much how i deal with those things. Fortunately, I like plant milk and will drink 3 glasses a day.

Reactions: Second Summer
Another vote for fortified plant milks. I don't think I'd consider it a complete solution, but it helps, especially with calcium. I take a supplement for B12, D, iodine and selenium called Veg1 which is promoted by the Vegan Society here in the UK and available in their online shop.

Reactions: Lou
Hi,

I use a calorie counter to track my food and to ensure I get vital nutrients however the odd day I notice that my b12 levels and calcium levels are down despite eating plenty of fortified breads/cereals. I would like to start taking a good multivitamin to top up my levels which is recommended for vegans. Can anyone recommend a particular good one? I am from the UK. Thanks I’m advance, Cara xx

The following link gives some very useful advice concerning vitamin B12. It's vital for those who eat a plant based diet to supplement with the latter as you can't get the necessary dosage from fortified foods. :)

Low doses in the body can lead to permanent nerve damage.