Nutrition & Diet Sufficient protein intake prevents sarcopenia, osteoporosis

I usually get a tad too little when I'm not working out actively.

Did you buy a premade one or make it yourself? If you made it, what kind of protein powder do you use? I find myself once again tonight searching the web for reviews on vegan protein powders. I cannot stand gritty protein shakes.
I use Genisoy. I can't promise that there's 'no' grit, but it is the most palatable out of all the others I've tried.

Mostly, I mix it with almond milk and half of a banana. Cannot do without the banana. Seems to make all the difference. Takes away the 'soy' taste. I think the soy taste bothers me more than the grit.

Chocolate is my fav but I also like the vanilla and strawberry. Sometimes I use chocolate soy milk instead of almond and also add a tablespoon of peanut butter for an extra kick of protein (and calories when I can afford it, lol).

Relying on protein shakes may not be the best idea, it may solve the protein issue, but if one is only packing in 30~35 grams of protein a day there are likely other issues with the diet as well.

Relying on protein shakes may not be the best idea, it may solve the protein issue, but if one is only packing in 30~35 grams of protein a day there are likely other issues with the diet as well.

That's not my issue. I just like them for when I'm short on time or on days the dogs have been really active. I have to keep up!

I use Genisoy. I can't promise that there's 'no' grit, but it is the most palatable out of all the others I've tried.

Mostly, I mix it with almond milk and half of a banana. Cannot do without the banana. Seems to make all the difference. Takes away the 'soy' taste. I think the soy taste bothers me more than the grit.

Chocolate is my fav but I also like the vanilla and strawberry. Sometimes I use chocolate soy milk instead of almond and also add a tablespoon of peanut butter for an extra kick of protein (and calories when I can afford it, lol).

In my web search last night I found a pea protein powder that's supposed to be really good, mix well and is vegan. I am going to spend the $ on yet another and will let you know if the reviews were true. They have other protein sources too and you can mix and match if you want, but I've read pea dissolves the best (next to whey which obviously isn't vegan) and is easy to digest. I can eat tofu and edamame all day long, but too much soy in concentrated forms messes with my stomach. So here's hoping this new find is grit free! I have tried other brands of pea protein before and they were too gritty but this one had several good reviews on another veg board so going to try it.

Reactions: KLS52
I tried hemp once and did not like the taste of that. :no:
I would be interested in how the pea is.

The pea proteins I've tried before didn't have much taste which is good. It's just the grit. Maybe I'm just too picky or maybe I need a better blender.

I think I'm pretty picky plus texture can be a big deal with a lot of stuff. If I'm going to bother to consume something it damned well better make my mouth happy, ha. :)

I purchased some pea protein when I was in Whole Foods the other day. Not sure I like it...maybe I'm so used to the soy protein. But I mixed it with chocolate soy milk because it's basically unflavored. I added the usual half banana. Initially, I thought, ok, this is going to work. But the more I drank it, the more I tasted an after-taste. I was trying to pay attention to the grit factor. I think I detected some, but I'm not sure. If there was grit it wasn't all that prevalent. I will try it again and add a little peanut butter.

The one I mentioned above was gemma pea protein from truenutrition.com. It mixed better than many I've tried though not completely grit free. I made the mistake of buying 2 flavored varieties which of course were sweetened with Stevia. I don't know how anyone can stand the aftertaste of that stuff. Lesson learned. I may tried the unflavored/unsweetened next and just add my own flavoring and sugar, my sweetener of choice. Like I said, it did mix better than a lot of brands I've tried.

truenutrition.com

protein.jpg

That is a very helpful. Thank you for posting.