Nutrition & Diet Sufficient protein intake prevents sarcopenia, osteoporosis

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Thursday Aug 14, 2014 (foodconsumer.org) -- A new study suggests that having sufficient intake of protein or taking essential amino acid supplements can help retain muscle mass, maintain or boost muscle strength and prevent sarcopennia, and reduce risk of osteoporosis.

Muscle loss at a rate of 1% per year is commonly seen in elderly people.

The study shows that weak muscle strength is linked to high risk of osteoporosis, which is a risk factor for fracture, and muscle mass, which helps muscle strength, is in turn associated with protein and energy intake.
More: foodconsumer.org - Sufficient protein intake prevents sarcopenia, osteoporosis

I have a few years on you and I definitely lost muscle along with my recent weight loss. I have always paid attention to my protein intake but I find it difficult to get more than 30-35 grams a day without over-eating. I also don't exercise regularly and I should. :(

Reactions: ledboots
I know I feel much better since I started paying attention to protein and in particular lysine. I feel better when I eat better anyway, but not getting enough protein catches up to you much quicker than not getting enough veggies, for example. Or at least it does to me.

According to Ensure commercials people start losing muscle mass at 40, so it's not just an elderly problem. :p

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
Does exercise (weights or resistance) even help build/tone muscle if you aren't getting enough protein?

Sadly there are likely to be many vegetarians and vegans in the west that are going to experience muscle wasting and osteoporosis due to the "protein is evil" and "you don't need to worry about protein" themes that are common in the veg community. Many may return to eating meat as well to "regain their health". Promoting well-balanced nutritionally sound veg*n diets is, I think, critical to the success of vegetarianism in the west.

II have always paid attention to my protein intake but I find it difficult to get more than 30-35 grams a day without over-eating.
That is too little, do you have any issues with your hair or nails? Veg*n women should be getting more like 55 grams.

If protein deprived, exercising isn't going to prevent muscle loss.

That is too little, do you have any issues with your hair or nails? Veg*n women should be getting more like 55 grams.

If protein deprived, exercising isn't going to prevent muscle loss.

No my hair and nails are fine.

It does concern me. I'm going to have to make more of an effort to get more protein into my diet. :(

In my clinical dietitian handbook pocket guide it recommends .8-1. grams of protein per kg of body weight for a healthy person.

I would say something to do in this account is weight maintenance, keep a healthy diet and keep physically fit, adding a bit of strength training to help keep muscle tone and bone strength.

From the time you are born to around the time you turn 30, your muscles grow larger and stronger. But at some point in your 30s, you begin to lose muscle mass and function, a condition known as age-related sarcopenia or sarcopenia with aging. People who are physically inactive can lose as much as 3% to 5% of their muscle mass per decade after age 30. Even if you are active, you will still experience some muscle loss.

Sarcopenia (Muscle Loss With Aging): Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

I'm going to try and post a sample of what my diet consists of. I'll show the portion sizes and protein in relation to the points I am allotted for weight loss. I feel like I needed to lose the extra weight I was carrying because my cholesterol has been going up over the last few years, despite being on a 99% vegan diet.

I think I am at a satisfactory, healthy weight now. So perhaps going on maintenance will make a difference. I can make sure the extra points I consume are protein based.

I've been doing weight watchers and the app for my phone is awesome and really helpful...I love scanning barcodes, too...keeps track of serving size/points too.

I will check out those sites...thanks for that. At some point I won't need WW anymore so I can switch to one of those.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
In my clinical dietitian handbook pocket guide it recommends .8-1. grams of protein per kg of body weight for a healthy person.
Yes, which amounts to around 46~55 grams for most women and 55~65 grams for most men. Typically its recommended that vegetarians/vegans shoot for the higher end, that is, 1 gram per kilo gram since plant-based protein is on average lower quality and less bioavailable.

I'm going to try and post a sample of what my diet consists of. I'll show the portion sizes and protein in relation to the points I am allotted for weight loss. I feel like I needed to lose the extra weight I was carrying because my cholesterol has been going up over the last few years, despite being on a 99% vegan diet.
A sample would be interesting because with the right choices it shouldn't be that difficult to get up to ~55 grams. For example, the chili I often make for lunches has around 25~30 grams of protein and is only around 400~500 calories.

I managed to get 45g today...better than I thought. But did cheat and I had a protein shake. :eek:

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I managed to get 45g today...better than I thought. But did cheat and I had a protein shake. :eek:

Did you buy a premade one or make it yourself? If you made it, what kind of protein powder do you use? I find myself once again tonight searching the web for reviews on vegan protein powders. I cannot stand gritty protein shakes.

protein.jpg

Reactions: KLS52