Substitutes for Common Cravings

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
Are you craving or missing something non-veg? Perhaps it was one of your favourite meals, or your standard comfort food, and now you don't know what to eat instead.

Post your craving here, and others can suggest what works for them to quench the longing.

One trick is to thing about the nutritional content of the food. Let's take the stereotype of the vegetarian who craves bacon... bacon is really high in fat and salt. So to get rid of that craving, eat something high in fat and salt. I used to by these bacon flavoured bits (which as you can see, are vegetarian), fry them in a bit of oil and make a 'bacon' sandwich with lots of margarine on the bread. For a healthier option, avocado is high in fat.

You can also trick your brain by eating something with a similar texture. Instead of scrambled egg, have scrambled tofu - with added black salt, to get that sulphur-y egg taste.

Another craving? Let us know what it is :)

Can you get Fry's or Linda McCartney burgers where you are? I find them very similar to a processed meat burger, like McDonalds or another fast food place. As for the cheese, there are a few varieties of cheese slices here but I haven't tried them myself. Hopefully another VVer can tell you what's good and bad, but which brands do you have available?

Can you get Fry's or Linda McCartney burgers where you are? I find them very similar to a processed meat burger, like McDonalds or another fast food place. As for the cheese, there are a few varieties of cheese slices here but I haven't tried them myself. Hopefully another VVer can tell you what's good and bad, but which brands do you have available?

I'll check the next time I go to that which is equivalent to Whole Foods in my country.

Daiya cheese works really well for me and it is now available in block form as well as shredded. I prefer Boca grillers...put it on a toasted bun with Daiya, vegenaise, ketchup, pickles, onions and voila! It's delicious and sometimes I don't even bother with the boca burger. I like it just as much, if not more, without it. But I never was a big hamburger fan.

The things I miss most, lately, is lemon meringue pie and soft serve vanilla ice cream.

Cheeseburgers ;_;
Gardien makes a vegan burger my son (who still eats meat when out) thinks tastes like a meat burger, but even better. I wouldn't have been able to eat them till recently, because they really do look, and taste, like a meat burger. Smells good cooking.
Now I can eat things like that because I don't associate them with animals!

Reactions: shyvas
I do miss things made with egg whites! Merinque and angel food cake!
Yeah, now that you mention it :fp:
Can't you make merique thingies with chia or flax?

I love the Gardein burger- and if I'm craving a bacon burger, I'll top the Gardein with a couple strips of LightLife Smart Bacon. :lick:

I do miss things made with egg whites! Merinque and angel food cake!
Yeah, now that you mention it :fp:
Can't you make merique thingies with chia or flax?

There is something called vegan meringue cookie mix that I bought online from veganessentials. It whips up like meringue but if you bake it, it gets crispy because technically, it's supposed to be a meringue cookie. I have used it on top of a lemon pie. It's tastes pretty good but is super sweet/sugary...kind of like marshmallow fluff but not as light.

It's seems like the soy bean craze destroyed the momentum the eggplant was building in the 90's. :(

You know what? There are so very many foods, and non food things, that sooo easily could do without animal involvement-but don't.
What I'd love to have happen is for someone at work to say "would you like a piece of candy?" and have it be Gomaxgo!
Or to check out different personal products and have vegan offerings at the same price.
To have locust bean gum, or agar replace gelatin.
To have vegetarian capsules be the norm.
If vegan foods were mainstreamed, there would be nothing I'd crave!

Sometimes I crave fish and chips, which is odd cuz I have been vegetarian for over a decade. Are there any convincing vegan options out there?

You can fry tofu in vegan batter but I don't know if it tastes like fish. I still crave fish occasionally even after 19 years! Tuna was one of the last things I gave up.

Some people think nori has a bit of a fishy taste, you could wrap some tofu in nori then batter and fry it. Might work.

Is it the taste you are craving, or do you think you just need more B12? If it's the flavor, perhaps a grilled portabella burger would be a good sub. Maybe sprinkle some nutritional yeast on for the vitamins.