Stop Population Growth Now

They are mostly trying to stop immigration, it looks like. From your link:

"How Stop Population Growth Now will seek to implement its zero population growth policy:

Reduce immigration. Australia's present very high rate of immigration has been foisted on the Australian public without any chance to vote on this issue.

Strongly discourage families of more than 2 children, whilst continuing to welcome 1 or 2 child families."

In the US, our population wouldn't be growing if it wasn't for immigration.

This tends to be true for most of the west - Europe (in general), US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, even westernized countries like Japan.

So what a ZPG party would look like in the US is a party that is (1) against immigration and (2) in favor of telling mostly poor, mostly non-white people in other countries not to breed.

I could see that party having some rather creepy undertones.

This tends to be true for most of the west - Europe (in general), US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, even westernized countries like Japan.

So what a ZPG party would look like in the US is a party that is (1) against immigration and (2) in favor of telling mostly poor, mostly non-white people in other countries not to breed.

I'm pretty surprised we don't have one of those already...

I don't consider it a race issue at all. Population growth can't go on forever. Should we just do nothing to solve this problem? If there was a party like that in the US, they'd get my vote.

I don't consider it a race issue at all. Population growth can't go on forever. Should we just do nothing to solve this problem? If there was a party like that in the US, they'd get my vote.
If the solution is to stop immigration, that isn't quelling population growth, it is just keeping people in different areas of the earth.

Their heads would implode with the anti-abortion/birth control stance and the do not breed stance... oh wait, there is abstinence. :fp:

One of my teachers this summer was a grad student who was doing her thesis on this. How the modern pro-life movement uses the rhetoric of choice against women who cannot/ do not have the means to care for children, or seek prenatal care (i.e. you chose to have children, so take responsibility), while at the same time trying to take that choice away. It's quite fascinating.

Anyway, to the original topic, I agree with everyone else. Sounds pretty effing racist to me. "How do we keep those brown people from having so many babies?! Wahhh" If they really cared, they would fight for better health standards, quality of living, and availability of birth control. I heard an on NPR with Melinda Gates who said that when she went to provide shots for children, women would ask her about birth control. She said that she heard the same story over and over again, that mothers loved their children, but if they had had the option, they would have spaced them out and had fewer to be able to provide better for the ones they did have.

And of course, the number one way to stem population growth is education for women. Statistically, the more education a woman has, the later she starts having children, and the fewer she has. But these people don't care about education or healthcare or actually providing for people's needs - they just want to win the culture wars and keep non-white, non-westerners from outbreeding whites. Gross.

Well, population growth isn't going to go on forever - it's slowing down, and will eventually peak, then should fall.

So even if we don't do anything, the problem will solve itself.

I'd rather see the population growth rate drop faster, but there's the carrot and the stick approach. The stick approach would be punishing women and the resulting children financially for large families. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather not punish children.

The carrot approach would be better education and healthcare access for women. That has proven to be positively correlated with decreasing family size.

Ironically, encouraging immigration would reduce population growth rates, due to the increased standard of living. Discouraging immigration would increase population growth rates on a global level.

If the solution is to stop immigration, that isn't quelling population growth, it is just keeping people in different areas of the earth.

Well, population growth isn't going to go on forever - it's slowing down, and will eventually peak, then should fall.

I'd rather see the population growth rate drop faster, but there's the carrot and the stick approach. The stick approach would be punishing women and the resulting children financially for large families. I'm not sure about you, but I'd rather not punish children.

The carrot approach would be better education and healthcare access for women. That has proven to be positively correlated with decreasing family size.

Ironically, encouraging immigration would reduce population growth rates, due to the increased standard of living. Discouraging immigration would increase population growth rates on a global level.

Immigration is always a race issue. Or a class issue, which is really no better, ethically.
All of these.

Since this is about Australia, which groups are coming into Australia through immigration?

As far as the United States goes, there's no reason to believe population growth will end anytime soon. Being the country that supplies a lot of food to the world, the downfall of the United States will have a very serious impact on the rest of the world. If we had tried keeping our population below 200,000,000(which means cutting immigration decades ago), that would be a good thing for the United States and the world. It's much easier to avoid a crisis at 200,000,000 compared to 300,000,000+.

Which group of immigrants are you referring to that has a higher standard of living and has reduced their population growth?

Since this is about Australia, which groups are coming into Australia through immigration?

People who are generally not white. This is a problem if you're a racist.

As far as the United States goes, there's no reason to believe population growth will end anytime soon.

The total fertility rate in the United States estimated for 2012 is 1.88 children per woman,[9] which is below the replacement fertility rate of approximately 2.1. Compared to other Western countries, in 2011, U.S. fertility rate was lower than that of France (2.02) and the United Kingdom (1.97).[10] However, U.S. population growth is among the highest in industrialized countries

- From here.

We could stop population growth in the US by just cutting off immigration. Of course, that just shifts the problem to other regions, and if those would-be immigrants miss out on education and opportunity, odds are that they'd have more children.

But it would shift the problem away from the US and make it other countries' issue. As a policy, putting the burden on other countries does have a long and glorious history in the United States.

Being the country that supplies a lot of food to the world, the downfall of the United States will have a very serious impact on the rest of the world. If we had tried keeping our population below 200,000,000(which means cutting immigration decades ago), that would be a good thing for the United States and the world. It's much easier to avoid a crisis at 200,000,000 compared to 300,000,000+.

And what crisis do you foresee?

The problem with the United States isn't that we have too many people, it's that we tend to be inefficient with our resources, mostly due to low costs. We'd be doing that with or without the additional population. Perhaps with a lower population we'd use less resources, but that isn't necessarily the case. If roads were less crowded (less people driving), houses were cheaper (less people buying homes), gas was cheaper (less driving), and food was cheaper (less people eating), perhaps we'd be living in even larger homes, driving further in gas-guzzling vehicles, and eating even more meat.

Which group of immigrants are you referring to that has a higher standard of living and has reduced their population growth?

Most of them. The first generation tends to have similar births per women (which skews higher, statistically, since immigrants tend to be younger people more willing to start families). But as American decadence kicks in, the population birth rates fall with the second and third generation.

Amazingly enough, women with access to healthcare and education don't want to be baby making machines.

We're losing a lot of good farm land every year. This trend can't continue. Peak oil, peak water, and the extinction of virtually all fish(oceans create maybe 200 million jobs) are potential problems. Having farming reliant on fossil fuels is another one. There are many lesser-known resources that could be problems. Most problems basically go back to the same thing:there are far too many people in the world. This century will see many problems that could turn into a crisis very easily. Any claims that the average American would be using more resources with less people is just a guess without any evidence to back up.

If other countries had an obvious overpopulation problem, at least there's a chance their government may do something about it. As far as I'm aware of, the United States hasn't done anything. The Green Revolution may have caused an additional 1 billion people to be living on this planet. If anything, the United States has promoted the problem rather than addressing it.

In Mexico they're not having a lot of children these days. Do Mexicans who come to the United States have less children than Mexicans who stay in Mexico? I see no reason to believe that's the case. If it has helped, I don't think it's helped much.

There are around 320,000,000 people in the United States today. As far as we're aware of, there has never been a country with our population that uses up the amount of resources that Americans use. IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. Do you realize how risky this is?

We're losing a lot of good farm land every year. This trend can't continue. Peak oil, peak water, and the extinction of virtually all fish(oceans create maybe 200 million jobs) are potential problems. Having farming reliant on fossil fuels is another one. There are many lesser-known resources that could be problems. Most problems basically go back to the same thing:there are far too many people in the world. This century will see many problems that could turn into a crisis very easily. Any claims that the average American would be using more resources with less people is just a guess without any evidence to back up.

If other countries had an obvious overpopulation problem, at least there's a chance their government may do something about it. As far as I'm aware of, the United States hasn't done anything. The Green Revolution may have caused an additional 1 billion people to be living on this planet. If anything, the United States has promoted the problem rather than addressing it.

In Mexico they're not having a lot of children these days. Do Mexicans who come to the United States have less children than Mexicans who stay in Mexico? I see no reason to believe that's the case. If it has helped, I don't think it's helped much.

There are around 320,000,000 people in the United States today. As far as we're aware of, there has never been a country with our population that uses up the amount of resources that Americans use. IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. Do you realize how risky this is?
Well the birth rate is below replacement levels. Do you want to stop or slow immigration? Or cut back on the use of resources?

People:

worldpopgr.gif

bacteria:

growthcurve.jpeg

We'll be lucky if we're in the stationary phase right now.