Question Spaghetti Sauce

I like Muir Glen canned tomatoes and I only use salt pepper and garlic. I cannot have any sugar in my tomato sauce which is odd considering my love of sugar.
I put only a tablespoon or so. I don't remember if that's part of the actual recipe, but I know my mom always puts brown sugar in her sauce. I made my sauce for my Christmas party and everyone loved it. My mom gushed over it, lol. I had to give her my recipe for a change, haha.

Reactions: KLS52
sweet vs not sweet -I do like the sweeter sauces. I just buy Aldis basil garlic sauce, and sometimes I like to add a small jar of pizza sauce if I'm making extra pasta

Reactions: PTree15
I put only a tablespoon or so. I don't remember if that's part of the actual recipe, but I know my mom always puts brown sugar in her sauce. I made my sauce for my Christmas party and everyone loved it. My mom gushed over it, lol. I had to give her my recipe for a change, haha.

The only reason why sugar (or sweetener) should be added is to balance out any acidity due to the tomatoes not being ripe enough or not cooked long enough. Different varieties also are sweeter than others. The smaller the fruit, the sweeter it is.

I sometimes add 1 tbs of tomato puree or a balsamic vinegar to get the balance right.

I also never bar tinned or ready made tomato sauce as it's far cheaper and so easy to make homemade sauce using a tin of plum tomatoes.

In Summer, my favourite tomato sauce is, roast plum tomato sauce. It's made with slowly roasted plum tomatoes, garlic, olive oil plus sugar, salt and pepper.

You just cannot duplicate the taste with store bought sauce.

Last edited: