sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
1 2/3 cups dry pinto beans
7 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
2 cups okra, sliced (can use frozen okra)
1 (16 oz. can) diced tomatoes
1 (16 oz. can) whole kernel corn, drained or 1 box frozen corn,or three ears fresh,scraped from cob
2 teaspoons vegan worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
Rinse beans. In a 5-quart dutch oven or kettle combine beans and the water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or, soak beans in the water overnight in a covered pan) Do not drain.

Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the bay leaf to the beans and liquid. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours or till beans are tender. Add sliced okra, undrained tomatoes, drained corn, worcestershire sauce, the 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, thyme, and bottled hot pepper sauce. Simmer the mixture 30 minutes or till okra is tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Makes 10 servings.

You can also make this in the crockpot using about three cans pinto beans, and add the other ingredients and cook 4 hrs. on high. Enjoy!

Serve over hot cooked rice.

Optional: Add soyrizo, veg sausage crumbles,tempeh,or whatever your heart desires.You can also add faux chicken bullion.

Reactions: AspireToExpire
Yummy sounds great! I think I will make that tomorrow minus the okra (ewwww lol) :D

Yummy sounds great! I think I will make that tomorrow minus the okra (ewwww lol) :D

What? No slime?:p The great thing about this recipe is that it's easily adapted. You could add all kinds of veggies. I was considering adding some yellow squash or zucchini and maybe some red or yellow bell pepper next time.

Reactions: Krys K
Oh yeah! I haven't that in so long!
Okra belongs in this-but nothing else!
I use the canned tomatoes and diced chilis (Aldis!), and Trader Joes soy chorizo. Usually have it with rice.
Gotta have celery! :drool:

Celery! Forgot about celery! This is not your usual gumbo recipe. It doesn't call for making roux of any kind, which I found to be a bit unusual, but it's good.