US Slaughter rates

Sax

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I wanted to learn the rates of slaughter in the US for cows pigs and chickens and try to commit them to memory in case I'd like to quote a figure in conversation. Working off the 2018 USDA data as reported by animalclock.org, and rounding to an easier-to-memorize figure, here's what I got:

Every second:
1 cow, 4 pigs, 300 chickens

Every hour:
4000 cows, 15,000 pigs, 1 million chickens

Every day:
90,000 cows, 350,000 pigs, 25 million chickens

Every week:
650,000 cows, 2.5 million pigs, 175 million chickens

Every month:
3 million cows, 10 million pigs, 750 million chickens

Every year:
35 million cows, 125 million pigs, 9 billion chickens

1 million killed every....
cows: 10 days
pigs: 3 days
chickens: 1 hour

These are very rough figures. When I have the time to look up and cite more precise numbers I will, but close enough IMO for quoting off the top of my head. It's a little sobering to round off hundreds of thousands or hundreds of millions of lives.

I don't know if that is going to be useful at all. and can you really memorize so many numbers.
I think I can handle one cow a second. And i think the 9 billion chickens a year is eye worth remembering.

Reactions: Emma JC
I wanted to learn the rates of slaughter in the US for cows pigs and chickens and try to commit them to memory in case I'd like to quote a figure in conversation. Working off the 2018 USDA data as reported by animalclock.org, and rounding to an easier-to-memorize figure, here's what I got:

Every second:

Every hour:

Every day:

Every week:

Every month:

Every year:

These are very rough figures. When I have the time to look up and cite more precise numbers I will, but close enough IMO for quoting off the top of my head. It's a little sobering to round off hundreds of thousands or hundreds of millions of lives.
And the talk about the "Holocaust" as if it were the only one.

• Friendly
I don't know if that is going to be useful at all. and can you really memorize so many numbers.
I think I can handle one cow a second. And i think the 9 billion chickens a year is eye worth remembering.

I don't know if any conversation I have on the topic is going to be useful, but being informed and able to cite relevant numbers will increase the chances. I can memorize a lot through brute force but I'll focus on the annual totals, per second, per hour, and time to kill 1 million.

Last edited:
And the talk about the "Holocaust" as if it were the only one.

Best to keep a pin in that one IMO, along with rape and slavery comparisons. It sounds convincing to those who already believe but just blows up any chance at a reasonable exchange of ideas.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Best to keep a pin in that one IMO, along with rape and slavery comparisons. It sounds convincing to those who already believe but just blows up any chance at a reasonable exchange of ideas.
Even an animal activist, Nobel prize winner, Holocaust survivor, has gotten in trouble making the comparison.

Although PETA who actually likes making waves has done so on a few occasions.

Reactions: Emma JC and Ahimsa
Even an animal activist, Nobel prize winner, Holocaust survivor, has gotten in trouble making the comparison.

Although PETA who actually likes making waves has done so on a few occasions.
I'm just wondering what the "reasonable exchange of ideas" might be, considering that certain truths must be ... "kept a pin on." 🤔

I'm just wondering what the "reasonable exchange of ideas" might be, considering that certain truths must be ... "kept a pin on." 🤔

I think the comparison is totally valid, but likely to backfire if your goal is to change minds. People are looking for any excuse to dismiss vegan arguments and it gives them an opportunity to turn the tables...now you're the one insensitive to the plight and suffering of others! Now they can seize on some other topic and not grapple directly with the cruelty inherent in animal agriculture.

You're not wrong. I mean, animal agriculture isn't motivated by hatred the way Nazis were and that's an important distinction. Doesn't make much difference to the victims though.

Every second:

Every hour:

Every day:

Every week:

Every month:

Every year:

The holocaust never ended.

Every second:

Every hour:

Every day:

Every week:

Every month:

Every year:

I thought it was 9 million every year holy ****!

I think the comparison is totally valid, but likely to backfire if your goal is to change minds. People are looking for any excuse to dismiss vegan arguments and it gives them an opportunity to turn the tables...now you're the one insensitive to the plight and suffering of others! Now they can seize on some other topic and not grapple directly with the cruelty inherent in animal agriculture.

You're not wrong. I mean, animal agriculture isn't motivated by hatred the way Nazis were and that's an important distinction. Doesn't make much difference to the victims though.
You do have a point but I'd say that the Nazis weren't motivated by hate either. They performed their duties in a perfunctory, unemotional manner, apart from the desire for wanton cruelty. They didn't hate the Jews any more than the average slaughterhouse worker hates the animals, although that is of course a generalisation. The one similarity that can be absolutely undisputed is that evil applies in both cases. And, in my opinion, it is the understanding of evil that will help bring about the end to the slaughter of animals, both human and non-human.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou