Skandinavia

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is a thread for discussion of all things related to Scandinavia. Finland and other Nordic areas are of interest as well.

Feel free to write in English, Danish, Swedish or Norwegian, and link to articles / web sites in those languages.

That is how we write it in Norwegian :)

I thought it would be interesting to have a list of decent online newspapers and other web sites in the Scandinavian languages, and English-language versions of those publications if they exist.

I'll start off with some Norwegian ones:
  • NRK (The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation): Good quality journalism, nice web site, comparable to the BBC.
  • Aftenposten (A newspaper with focus on Oslo): Overall good quality journalism, but a bit conservative, Oslo-chauvinist and the outlook seems very middle/upper class.
  • Dagbladet (A national newspaper): More liberal, but also extremely tabloid. Has nice pictures and quick to publish the latest news stories.
  • theforeigner.no - A publication that provides Norwegian news in English

Reactions: ledboots
Keep the info coming, IS, I'm going to visit Norway and Denmark next month. :)

Right, let's have a look at Denmark next then! I'm no expert on Denmark, but these are the ones I know about:

In case anyone is wondering, Scandinavian Airlines is happy to provide vegan meals, even with very late notice! :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371202631.392833.jpg

Breakfast! A grainy Danish roll and peanut butter and jelly. Best bread ever!

View attachment 2775

The parking lots here are so different from the ones in the US!!!
Heh, I don't think that's the norm exactly :) But notice the prevalence of side walks / pavements, at least in the cities, towns and suburbs. Not sure what it's like in your home area, but my impression from the US is that they don't always bother catering for people who don't drive a car.

I think the major US cities do a pretty good job of allowing for mass transit, but I've never seen any thing near such an allowance for bikes.

I'm reading in the Norwegian news that Varg Vikernes, a.k.a. the one-man-band Burzum a.k.a. "The Count" a.k.a. "Greven" in Norwegian has been arrested in France (where he currently resides) on suspicion on planning a massacre. The guy has been categorised as an extreme nationalist and neo-nazi by some media outlets. Thought it would interest some people here, as his music is popular with some people.

Edit: Here is a link to a news story in English.

I'm reading in the Norwegian news that Varg Vikernes, a.k.a. the one-man-band Burzum a.k.a. "The Count" a.k.a. "Greven" in Norwegian has been arrested in France (where he currently resides) on suspicion on planning a massacre. The guy has been categorised as an extreme nationalist and neo-nazi by some media outlets. Thought it would interest some people here, as his music is popular with some people.

Edit: Here is a link to a news story in English.

I'm not sure if he's a neo-Nazi. But he *is* a white supremacist, from what I remember. If I'm thinking of the right guy, he had a webpage. He sounded intelligent and well-read, but as soon as race came up... Wow. Right off the rails.

Also, I'd say he's better known for the murder of that one Mayhem guy, than for his one-man band Burzum.

I struggle not to throw up a little in my mouth when posting this, but it's been all over the news internationally apparently, so I guess it's somewhat newsworthy:
(It looks to me like most of the "passengers" are in fact actors, but I think there are supposed to be one or two real ones as well.)

norwegian-fjords-1.jpg

981885-beautiful-lanscapes-from-norwegian-fjords-in-the-summer--europe-travel.jpg

stock-photo-apple-tree-in-the-foreground-and-mountains-in-the-distance-norway-43722799.jpg

Week+11.4+2013+Last+Saturday+006.JPG

Reactions: Trinity
There are parliament elections in Norway today. The taxi driver is projected to be on the way out, to be replaced by two ladies who want to restrict immigration, **** the environment, open up new oil fields in fragile areas in the north, and stop taxing those poor rich people so much. Possibly they need assistance from lap dog centrist parties.

In other news, here is a new music video by the Ylvis brothers hypothesizing on the many possible variations of fox speech:

(Warning: This vid is right up there with Rebecca Black's Friday song.)

Update on yesterday's elections: The taxi driver and his so-called "Labour" party w/friends are officially out. The ladies of the right and rabid right will need lap-dog support to form a majority government.

The Greens managed to get an MP elected for the first time in history. That is one out of a total of 169, so it goes without saying they won't have much (well, any) influence, but nevertheless they may be able to get some publicity for themselves and their causes, and better build their organisation.

An English-language article about the election results:
Norway election results: Anti-immigrant party with links to mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik set to enter government under Conservative leader Erna Solberg (The Independent, 10. Sept. 2013)

Last edited: