Simplest Egg Substitute-Breading Food?

VeganCurious

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Hi,
I'm trying to adapt my mum's lentil croquette recipe to be entirely vegan. It involves using eggs to adhere bread crumbs to the outside.
My local supermarket sells a vegan egg alternative, but that contains a lot of different ingredients and since I don't need it to taste or scramble like eggs, there must be a much simpler alternative.
I've read that flax flour mixed with water works well - Is that my best option?
Thanks

PS. The only other non-vegan ingredient in the recipe is cheddar cheese. I've tried in the past swapping that for stilton and it made surprisingly little difference to the taste, so for the vegan version I'm just going to replace it with coconut oil to keep the same fat profile.
PPS. I tell a lie... The recipe also includes instructions for a butter and milk based parsley sauce - If anyone has good a vegan recipe for that I would be interested. Thanks.

I've never dipped in any egg subs- I never did eggs either because I couldn't avoid getting my hands all covered! 😄 I just press things into the plate of crumbs.
Be sure to get refined, or deodorized coconut oil to avoid the cheese tasting of coconut!
I would say a nice cashew creme would be a good alternative to milk and need a small amount of vegan butter/margarine, or maybe olive oil?
Welcome!
I know Violife is UK based- have you tried any? I haven't yet, but it's now in the US too!

Reactions: TofuRobot
I've never dipped in any egg subs- I never did eggs either because I couldn't avoid getting my hands all covered! 😄 I just press things into the plate of crumbs.
Be sure to get refined, or deodorized coconut oil to avoid the cheese tasting of coconut!
I would say a nice cashew creme would be a good alternative to milk and need a small amount of vegan butter/margarine, or maybe olive oil?
Welcome!
I know Violife is UK based- have you tried any? I haven't yet, but it's now in the US too!
I'm not hugely into mock cheese, but my son loves Violife! I've tasted it and it's really good

Reactions: shyvas
This may sound crazy, but when I fry eggplant for parmigiana, I mix cornstarch with a little bit of water...I keep it more on the runny side than thick, and use that to dip the eggplant slices. Then I dip in breadcrumbs and lay on paper towels after frying to drain/blot the oil. It works amazing and makes the eggplant super crispy. I usually end up eating half of it right from the frying pan lol.

Reactions: ninjanurse and Lou
I second making flax egg. Flax and chia both contain albumin, which is the same class of protein as the albumin in eggs. To make 2-ish "eggs" for use in baking and for breading or even in pancakes (basically as a binder), I just heat up 1/4 cup water in the nuker for 45 seconds (or just until it starts to boil), then I add in 2 to 3 tbs flax meal and stir. Stirring every minute until it gets "snotty" or egg-white-like in consistancy.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
aquafaba also works well - that is the liquid in a can of chick peas and also other beans but chick pea liquid works very well as an egg substitute and others suggested flax/chia/psyllium eggs also work well but may be a bit too thick for this purpose

as for the parsley sauce just sub in plant milk and it you wish to thick it you can add hemp seeds some salt and it should turn out beautifully

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
Sarah's crispy tofu uses soy milk, corn starch, and panko bread crumbs.

I'm including the video cause her "dipping hand" and "breading hand'" technique is just genius.

I've made this recipe a dozen times, it is one of my favorite dishes for potlucks and football.

and also here are written directions, too

aquafaba also works well - that is the liquid in a can of chick peas and also other beans but chick pea liquid works very well as an egg substitute and others suggested flax/chia/psyllium eggs also work well but may be a bit too thick for this purpose

as for the parsley sauce just sub in plant milk and it you wish to thick it you can add hemp seeds some salt and it should turn out beautifully

Emma JC
Oh I forgot about using aquafaba for this. Great idea!

Reactions: Emma JC