Health & Medicine Scientists recommend 10 portions of fruit and veg a day

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Forget five a day, now it’s all about getting 10 portions of fruit and vegetables into your diet. That is according to scientists who say doing this could prevent up to 7.8 million premature deaths worldwide.

But how do you make sure you get your 10 a day (about 800g of fruit and veg)? We asked those of you who already consume this amount. Here is a selection of responses.
More: Meet the people who eat 10 portions of fruit and vegetables a day (24. Feb. 2017)

See also: Forget five a day, eat 10 portions of fruit and veg to cut risk of early death (23. Feb. 2017)

It says a serving is 80 grams- not even 3 oz! I forget that.
If we want people to get more produce we should start restructuring our grocery stores. In most mainstream groceries by me you can shop without ever going through the fruit and veg aisle-just right to the inner aisles of packages.
I now have a Fresh Thyme store where produce is the star and really good prices. It's hard not to get whats good for you.
When bags and boxes of junk food greet you at door, and you can cut off the fresh section completely it normalizes a crap diet and makes eating healthy seem unattainable

Reactions: Andy_T
LOL. I was mostly vegetarian when my kids were little and very busy. Many dinners involved a pound bag of frozen veggie with some beans or meat on the side. My mother thought that was way too much for a women and two small kids, like it was child abuse

I probably don't have much trouble packing that amount of fruits and vegetables into my diet- but it would probably be better if there were more variety, instead of one huge Stayman Winsesap apple, a big grapefruit, or a one-pound head of broccoli. If one's fruit and vegetable intake balances out over a few days, I'm probably good.

If we want people to get more produce we should start restructuring our grocery stores. In most mainstream groceries by me you can shop without ever going through the fruit and veg aisle-just right to the inner aisles of packages.

I hate to break the news to you, but today, nearly all supermarkets get deliberately arranged by scientific algorithms that have the aim to make you go through the aisles with the most unhealtly and expensive items, so that you rather buy those instead of healthy fruits and vegetables.....

The one you mention seems to be a notable and positive exception...