Savoury protein snack ideas

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Now that M has become vegan, instead of cheese toasties for supper, she usually has toast and peanut butter. She used to have this for lunch so now I am looking for new lunch ideas for her. She doesn't like baked beans so I cannot give her that. Today we had bhajis so she got protein from the chickpea flour. I just want to make sure she gets enough protein throughout the day. Does anybody have any good ideas for simple snacks? No sweet stuff as she is trying to avoid it.

Roasted chickpeas? :) I usually just flavour them with salt and malt vinegar but curried ones are nice, hot sauce or chilli and lime juice.

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
Roasted chickpeas? :) I usually just flavour them with salt and malt vinegar but curried ones are nice, hot sauce or chilli and lime juice.
Thank you, that's a great idea. I copied a recipe from the internet and I'll give it a go. I'll maybe use some Garam Masala or smoked paprika and garlic. Do you add the spices after or before the roasting?

Did you check out the Recipe section as there are plenty of light meal/snack options ?

Chickpea pancakes filled with dips etc
Vegetable & tofu bake
A slice of cold nut roast or lentil roast
Peanut butter smoothie
Quinoa/tofu salad bowl
Quinoa & sweet potato fritters with a dip
Homemade vegetable crisps/chips with hummous
Cream of vegetable soup whizzed up with tofu
Bean salad plus raw vegetables
Lentil & grain salad plus raw vegetables
Soft tortillas with seitan and guacamole
Crispy fried tofu sticks with a dip ; mayonnaise or guacamole etc
Bean dip with crudites
Sourdough/whole wheat bruschetta with bean dip and diced peeled tomatoes with evo

• Informative
I'm really drawing a blank.

maybe this will help

i found this in my bookmarks

I checked and the link works.

And i found this using the ol' google machine

• Informative
Why don't you substitute plant based cheese such as Violife etc when making cheese on toast ?:)
Firstly they are very expensive here. Secondly my own experience with the taste of vegan cheese makes it hard for me to recommend it to M. Thirdly, the only vegan cheese I have had that melts, melts to a strange texture that doesn't work on toast. When we have more money I might experiment with different brands but at the moment it's a lot of money to risk, not knowing what the cheese will be like.:(

one snack I have been enjoying recently are simple breadsticks dipped in hummus - you can make your own hummus from a can of chick peas

Emma JC

OHScij3CVf0JD1N6ebTaBmqN.png

Reactions: Raven and Brian W
I Love hummus. I'll try and find a good recipe.

Krocks in the Kitchen have a simple whole food oil free recipe. I don't use liquid smoke, I use smoked paprika instead. If you don't mind it a bit fattier I would recommend adding either a tablespoon or so of tahini or a bit of olive oil.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Brian W
Krocks in the Kitchen have a simple whole food oil free recipe. I don't use liquid smoke, I use smoked paprika instead. If you don't mind it a bit fattier I would recommend adding either a tablespoon or so of tahini or a bit of olive oil.

Emma JC
Awesome - thank you!:drool:

Reactions: Emma JC
Firstly they are very expensive here. Secondly my own experience with the taste of vegan cheese makes it hard for me to recommend it to M. Thirdly, the only vegan cheese I have had that melts, melts to a strange texture that doesn't work on toast. When we have more money I might experiment with different brands but at the moment it's a lot of money to risk, not knowing what the cheese will be like.:(

I also have never tasted a decent vegan cheese that melts or tastes like dairy. Most of them taste OK but no brand has come up with a
sensational tasting substitute. If M likes cheese, tasting vegan substitutes may not be a good idea.

I have the same problem over here as we don't get vegan cheeses in supermarkets so I usually buy Violife when I'm in the UK.

• Friendly