Saudi women and the right to drive.

It can. For example, my previous proposal to have gender quotas for students from countries like Saudi Arabia.

Well, the Saudis have been sending women abroad to study. We'll see how much fruit it bears in our lifetimes.

Actually they have been allowing women to go abroad and work and study for about 30 years. The problem is they are still expected to come home afterwards and have an arranged marriage. And if they try to date someone at their university they would face severe punishment at home (as I outlined in an earlier post). So sending women abroad is hardly a new thing that will change things.

Well, the Saudis have been sending women abroad to study. We'll see how much fruit it bears in our lifetimes.

About 33 thousand women are studying abroad. Out of about 1.3 million women age 20-24.

If we ensured gender quotas, the amount of women studying abroad would double, assuming the amount of men studying stayed the same.

In addition, Saudi women who receive a government grant to study abroad are required to have a guardian. Many of those women study abroad in other Islamic countries.

I think that Western nations could really apply a carrot approach to getting more Saudi women to study in the US, and to pressure the Saudi government to reduce or remove the guardianship requirement.

Its going to take years for us to see the effects of any education program on the Saudi people. What we're looking for is changing how the next generation thinks, before their beliefs ossify in adulthood. (It is the same situation as gay rights in the US - we're waiting for the older generation to die off before we can start treating homosexuals as fellow human beings.)