Vegan Sandwich Buns

You can send it to me, MS. ;-)
I have found a smaller box (10 oz.) in the grocery store that might be better for you, though. It's usually in the baking aisle, at least at my grocery store (Stop 'n Shop).
upload_2017-1-17_14-41-55.png
I have had a hard time finding the 22 0z. bag of Bob's Red Mill anywhere, even Whole Foods, so I ordered a box of four bags from Amazon, and it's actually cheaper this way (with Prime, no shipping costs). I make a lot of seitan in various forms, so I go through it quickly. I also use it for chickpea and other cutlets. Just making two batches of sausages could use up a lot of one bag.

I have posted this recipe on other sites but would like my recipes to also be available on the sites I frequent now as well. We loved making these so much "back in the day".

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups soy milk
1/4 cups unsweetened apple sauce
2 Tbsp margarine
1/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp melted margarine

Instructions:

Place all ingredients except melted margarine into bread machine pan and select the dough cycle. Check the dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add a tablespoon of water if needed. When the bread machine is finished remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Roll out until about an inch thick and cut with a cookie/biscuit cutter (empty coffee cans work great too) and place on greased baking sheets. Brush the tops with the melted butter, cover and let rise in a warm place until they have doubled in size (takes about an hour). Bake at 350F for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Thank you, Jeremy. I'm going to try this.

Seitan!!! Pastrami, chicken, ribs, pot roast - seitan is wonderful!!!

New and Improved Pot Roast - which is excellent, by the way. :)
I can't stand anything that tastes like, smells like, or looks like any sort of meat... makes me feel physically ill. :yuck:

I'm not sweatin' the protein, though. Take my favorite sauteed veggie sandwich concoction for instance... the flatbread alone has 7g... the veggies include mushrooms, onion, red pepper, tomato, spinach, & arugula (all decent sources)... the latest spread I made was Greek whipped cream cheese and avocado... and I made both the filling & spread with LOTS of nooch, as always. Even one serving of the no-salt kettle chips (that accompany the meal) has 2g of protein. And then there are the peanuts I mindlessly snack on from time to time. :p

I should've posted this in "Off Topic".... LOL :rolleyes:

I can't stand anything that tastes like, smells like, or looks like any sort of meat... makes me feel physically ill. :yuck:

I'm not sweatin' the protein, though. Take my favorite sauteed veggie sandwich concoction for instance... the flatbread alone has 7g... the veggies include mushrooms, onion, red pepper, tomato, spinach, & arugula (all decent sources)... the latest spread I made was Greek whipped cream cheese and avocado... and I made both the filling & spread with LOTS of nooch, as always. Even one serving of the no-salt kettle chips (that accompany the meal) has 2g of protein. ;)

I should've posted this in "Off Topic".... LOL :rolleyes:

Geez, seitan doesn't taste like, smell like, or look like any sort of meat :D

Jokes aside, as for protein, it's a thing that can be rather situational... I track protein because my fitness goal is muscle toning and building muscle, I also run around 10 miles five or six days a week. With the running, being on the low end of protein would make me much more acceptable to injury. But I have to say, hitting my target is not very easy, and on average around 50g of my protein a day is coming from whey protein powder concentrate and I'd be pretty sunk without it. For my intent, getting an excess of 100g a day would be extremely difficult if it weren't for foods that are really bulky on protein. If you're mostly sedentary and not athletic it's probably not something you need to worry about at all.

Geez, seitan doesn't taste like, smell like, or look like any sort of meat

Personally, I think it looks like iffy meatloaf. Me no wantee. :p I'm not the slightest bit curious about it. Besides, I'm REALLY picky about textures. If I don't dig the "mouth-feel" of a certain food, I won't eat it ever again. LOL :confused:

I think I tried seitan in something at Heather's Restaurant several years ago... and their food was always outstanding. But that clinched it... no more seitan for me. Same with tofu. Yuck. :hurl:

Last edited:
My seitan is steamed into a loaf, then you slice it thin for sandwiches, chunk it for stews or process it to make chick*n salad. It does not look, smell or taste like meat. It's more like baked tofu with herbs. But when you put it on/in something with all the fixings, it allows you to have dishes that are familiar and tasty. Homemade beats the pants off the stuff you get in those slimy packages.

My seitan is steamed into a loaf, then you slice it thin for sandwiches, chunk it for stews or process it to make chick*n salad. It does not look, smell or taste like meat. It's more like baked tofu with herbs. But when you put it on/in something with all the fixings, it allows you to have dishes that are familiar and tasty. Homemade beats the pants off the stuff you get in those slimy packages.
Truth!!

I too love using VWG to make seitan recipes! One of my favorite recipes is this one: Yeah, That "Vegan" ****: The Infamous Seitan Recipe o' Greatness

I love the combination of spices in that recipe, and the use of tomato paste. I am not a fan of soy sauce which a lot of recipes have you adding, and I like to keep sodium content down. I don't even add the vegan worcestershire sauce in the above recipe and it still turns out nicely.

Sunday I followed this recipe, but my own add ins-
While the simmering wasn't at all right-it deflated and blobbed on top of the water- I did bake it after an hour simmer and it turned out quite remarkable. The yeast appartently created a very tender stranded texture. It had layers of garlicy softness and was moist and flavorful. I used a lot of garlic powder, liquid smoke, rosemary, and sage inside, and soy sauce and garlic cloves in the simmer and on it in the oven. I will be doing a lot with active yeast in seitan next time. I think I will use less

Reactions: KLS52