Retailers and Data Mining

Hmmmmm...I've never been pregnant, but I do shop quite often at Target. This makes me wonder what the company has figured out about ME when they look at my purchases.

Vegetarian crazy cat lady who likes to read and watch DVDs, in all likelihood. :p

Reactions: Freesia
Yeah I read about this awhile ago. A few of my local grocery stores do the same thing. It's creepy to know that every time I swipe my member's rewards cards all my purchasing information is being recorded. I believe this is also how they target which (not all) catalina coupons to print out for you.

*Catalina coupons are those printed coupons the register prints out while you are checking out. Most of the time they are based on which products you are buying. For example, I frequently buy Almond Breeze and Silk almond milks. Regularly I receive catalina coupons for those products after I scan them while checking out.

I don't mind those coupons because I often make certain purchases based on whether or not I have a manu coupon for those items, such as Pepperidge Farm cookies or People magazine. If I get a point of sale coupon for those items, I'm likely to use them since I don't see the manu coupons for them that much.

However, not all POS coupons I receive get used. Too bad for the store that gives them to me. :p

I didn't know anyone actually read stuff like that in the mail. Well, I suppose they must for it to be worth sending, but I guess I've just never personally known it to happen.

On the one hand, I do think this is kinda creepy. OTOH, I don't really mind. I'd rather be sent coupons I am likely to use than coupons that would go directly in the recycle bin.

Personally I find it creepy too. But then i am not sure if I would be targeted much, my dislike of paperwork and cards means that I dont have a lot of loyalty cards. I definitely wont be applying for any in the future. And I dont have the patience for coupons, I am clumsy enough while paying for stuff as it is, coupons would add a whole level of fail to my shopping process.

It seems that we seem to be monitored not only with our activities on the internet, but also when we are out shopping, it is like a stealthy 1984 is creeping up on us.

It is creepy. My GPS is creepy too. When I turn it on it suggests places, and where I want to go is usually high on the list. How does it know?!?!

this is why they give you loyalty cards. they want to know what you buy, how often, where you live, and what they can sell you more of.

all the time here cashiers ask for our postal code, so the computer knows where we live, what people from the ghetto are buying this week, and whether they should put a store over there for us.

you don't even wanna know about the RF-ID tags. :p