Reasons why Facebook is evil

I suppose it would be different if I needed a Facebook presence to earn money, but... I don't. I just haven't wanted to have an account with Facebook (or MySpace, or Twitter).

I think if FB weren't so intrusive, the hate wouldn't be so prevalent. There have been reports that FB follows users even when they aren't using FB, which I find reprehensible. It's all about information gathering and selling that information. That seems to be the business model for FB, more so than even advertising. Also, FB has not been up front about its tactics, so information we thought was somewhat private has been breached, like private messages and whatnot.

I use "containers" for facebook. This allows one to open a tab under whatever container heading one chooses, and limits recorded web activity by the server and associated bots to that container. Other tabs not in that container heading can be used for general searches, other websites visited etc. Once I started doing this I stopped seeing targeted advertising based on my web activity.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15