Quorn vegan fishless fingers

Sally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've just tried some Quorn Vegan Fishless Fingers which would be fine if they didn't taste so fishy. They have a lot of sodium alginate, made from brown seaweed, and smell a bit off. You know how fresh fish doesn't smell only old fish. It would have been better for me if they had just been vegan fingers like Fry's do vegan nuggets. I don't want my food to smell or taste like an animal, fish, bird or whatever living thing.

The texture was nice and, with salt and pepper and vinegar, they would make a fine fishless finger sandwich. Without the fishiness.

With utmost respect, why on Earth are you buying and eating a vegan replica of an animal product... if you don't want your food to smell or taste like an animal? It's obviously going to taste fishy if it's replicating fish. That's the point.

If you don't want something that tastes like an animal product... don't buy a vegan replica of it.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I was under the impression that Quorn is not vegan. That they use eggs in the processing. If I remember right, there was a big stink in the UK cause they weren't using cage-free eggs. But maybe they stopped using eggs in the UK altogether. but here in the USA they still use eggs.

I was under the impression that Quorn is not vegan. That they use eggs in the processing. If I remember right, there was a big stink in the UK cause they weren't using cage-free eggs. But maybe they stopped using eggs in the UK altogether. but here in the USA they still use eggs.

I got tricked by their "meatless chicken strips" product one day when I was a couple months into my vegan changeover. Was honestly looking for some pre-seasoned tofu to put into a stir fry I was going to make, but my store didn't have any, but they did have Quorn stuff. I just grabbed it without reading the ingredients. I didn't double-check the ingredients until after I'd already made the dish and found it had egg-whites in it. Dangit.

But according to their web site, they do have stuff that is actually vegan, but definitely make sure you read their ingredients - don't assume all Quorn stuff is vegan, because it's definitely not.

I got tricked by their "meatless chicken strips" product one day when I was a couple months into my vegan changeover. Was honestly looking for some pre-seasoned tofu to put into a stir fry I was going to make, but my store didn't have any, but they did have Quorn stuff. I just grabbed it without reading the ingredients. I didn't double-check the ingredients until after I'd already made the dish and found it had egg-whites in it. Dangit.

But according to their website, they do have stuff that is actually vegan, but definitely make sure you read their ingredients - don't assume all Quorn stuff is vegan because it's definitely not.

Even if it doesn't contain eggs. I think most of their products use eggs in the processing process. I'm pretty sure that is the case in the USA. But I've heard that some UK products are not processed with eggs and they put Vegan on the label.