Akua Kelp Burgers

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Akua Kelp vegan burgers got a really good review from Bon Appetit. They are pretty pricey, but they would make a nice, healthy treat.

They ship frozen, so I'm going to wait until the weather cools down a bit before ordering.

AKUA’s salty-smoky kelp burgers are all I want to eat this summer

The veggie burgers I speak of are the newest launch from AKUA, a company that’s been selling kelp in the form of dried jerky since 2019. What I love about these burgers, along with the fact that the ingredient list includes mushrooms, pea protein, black beans, and quinoa, is that their texture is uniform—no stray corn kernels or bean skins in sight. It’s chewy, salty, and smoky, and while nothing about the taste screams “seaweed,” there’s definitely a note of brine in there. Size-wise, this veggie burger is thick enough to make its presence known but thin enough to leave room for all those toppings I love. I’d eat it even if it weren’t made of a super-cool, planet-saving seaweed.

Quick primer on kelp: When it’s ocean-farmed, kelp is a zero-input crop, meaning it doesn’t need to be watered, fertilized, or fed in any way, nor does it need cleared land to grow—it’s under the sea! And not only is kelp lower maintenance than your pandemic haircut, it also gives back: The crop actually pulls carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. According to the BBC, scientists estimate that seaweeds of all kinds (including kelp!) sequester nearly 200 million tons of greenhouse gas every year—which is as much as New York State’s total annual emissions. It’s so nice when sustainability and deliciousness work together.

AKUA veggie burgers ship frozen and are made to go straight from freezer to grill (or skillet). When I make them, I start my onions first, then throw on the burgers five-ish minutes before the alliums are charred to my taste. Just a few minutes on each side is enough to heat the burgers through and get a nice sear going. Then all that’s left to do is assemble and crack open a cold bev. AKUA, if you’re reading this, I have three words for you: kelp beer, please.

they sound amazing... they don't seem to be available in Canada yet so I will watch for them and hope they come here soon

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

They aren't available through stores yet, but they are available online. I'd like to give them a try. About $4 per burger with overnight shipping. It wouldn't be an everyday option, but about a twice a week treat.

I'm hoping the price goes down over time.

Reactions: Emma JC
Akua Kelp vegan burgers got a really good review from Bon Appetit. They are pretty pricey, but they would make a nice, healthy treat.

They ship frozen, so I'm going to wait until the weather cools down a bit before ordering.

AKUA’s salty-smoky kelp burgers are all I want to eat this summer

The veggie burgers I speak of are the newest launch from AKUA, a company that’s been selling kelp in the form of dried jerky since 2019. What I love about these burgers, along with the fact that the ingredient list includes mushrooms, pea protein, black beans, and quinoa, is that their texture is uniform—no stray corn kernels or bean skins in sight. It’s chewy, salty, and smoky, and while nothing about the taste screams “seaweed,” there’s definitely a note of brine in there. Size-wise, this veggie burger is thick enough to make its presence known but thin enough to leave room for all those toppings I love. I’d eat it even if it weren’t made of a super-cool, planet-saving seaweed.

Quick primer on kelp: When it’s ocean-farmed, kelp is a zero-input crop, meaning it doesn’t need to be watered, fertilized, or fed in any way, nor does it need cleared land to grow—it’s under the sea! And not only is kelp lower maintenance than your pandemic haircut, it also gives back: The crop actually pulls carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere. According to the BBC, scientists estimate that seaweeds of all kinds (including kelp!) sequester nearly 200 million tons of greenhouse gas every year—which is as much as New York State’s total annual emissions. It’s so nice when sustainability and deliciousness work together.

AKUA veggie burgers ship frozen and are made to go straight from freezer to grill (or skillet). When I make them, I start my onions first, then throw on the burgers five-ish minutes before the alliums are charred to my taste. Just a few minutes on each side is enough to heat the burgers through and get a nice sear going. Then all that’s left to do is assemble and crack open a cold bev. AKUA, if you’re reading this, I have three words for you: kelp beer, please.
Thank you for the information. I do believe all of us need iodine in our diets, and most of us are deficient in iodine. I do consume
healthy seaweed like Nori, dulse, and kombu. But I have learned that kelp is the highest source of iodine, much greater than for any
other seaweed. I do not know how much kelp is in these burgers, but I would be wary of the very large amount (10-20x greater than
in other seaweeds) of iodine that is inherent in kelp. Overdosing on iodine is not healthy either.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC