OSes Problems with Linux

J

Jeremy

A bit of an off top, bare with me :)

I think I would agree with that article a lot more if we were discussing it 10 years ago. But today not so much to be honest.

#5, how are we having a fragmented experience when our Linux distribution has standardized on a usually friendly user interface?

Their #4 reason is probably the dumbest con I've ever heard. Seriously, how is being oblivious about other package managers a con when any given distribution has standardized on one single package manager? If you're using Ubuntu and you're using apt, you don't NEED to know anything else.

#3 and #2 I can see some merit there. He doesn't deny that there are software alternatives to just about anything you have on Windows, and yeah, there isn't software for Windows users to "lust after", the last paragraph on #3 summed it up.

#1 is almost as dumb as #4 and #5. Written by someone that obviously knows nothing about how the kernel is maintained. While the demise of Trovalds would be tragic, there are hundreds of contributors working on the Linux kernel. Trovalds spends a lot of his time patching the kernel source tree with code that people are contributing. In the event of Trovalds' death it would likely be a brief lull and then business as (almost) usual.

#5, how are we having a fragmented experience when our Linux distribution has standardized on a usually friendly user interface?
I suppose if all distributions had standardized on the same user interface, then that interface would have a lot more developers, contributors and users (testers, feedback providers), and therefore would be better able to develop something that could better compete with Windows and MacOS etc.