Pray for the Philippines

coralyn

Newcomer
Reaction score
I don’t care how stressed out, tiring or rough my week was because there are people out there affected by Typhoon Haiyan. I can’t sit here thinking about my own problems when their problems are astronomically greater than mine. I just ask each one of you to just take a moment to pray for the children, women and men who have been caught up in the storm. Pray that families will be reunited with one another. Pray for resources and aid to reach everyone. Pray for the safety of the rescue teams and that their efforts don’t go to waste.

So instead of going out for a meal this week or grabbing that morning coffee, take that money you would’ve spent and donate it to any one of the NGOs. A few dollars goes a long way. You aren’t just providing them with food, water and shelter, but you are giving them HOPE.

My heart and prayers are with them.

Reactions: Wolfie and KLS52
Thank you very much. I donated money and some old clothes too. My old university is conducting a relief operation. We're going there tomorrow morning to help with the packing of stuff.

Reactions: KLS52
Disasters like this always help to put things in perspective. Thanks for posting this.

http://charitynavigator.org/

This tells you who's using donations to actually help people and not pay mega salaries.

From the article I linked:

All the organizations below have been vetted and rank high on CharityNavigator.org, an independent organization that rates aid groups on their effectiveness. There are many other worthy groups that are not included here, but are rated high on CharityNavigator.org. However, in order to simplify, I have chosen just a few aid organizations that have been highly recommended by Care2, HuffingtonPost and CharityNavigator.

They already did the work for us! :D

Reactions: ledboots and Wolfie
I have a Christian friend her husband is a preacher and a missionary in the Philippines, what she explained what happened there is drastic , he is over there right now....

I work with several nurses from the Philippines, and one friend told me she feels a strong urge to go back and help. Her (mostly elderly) family there is safe; she hails from a relatively unaffected part of the Phillippines, from my understanding. Her husband and kids are here. The hospital grants leaves of absence for nurses who go work disasters (lots of us did post-Katrina).

What a devastating storm, so many people and so many animals affected.

I was wondering wether to pray for the people in the Phillipines after seeing the devastation out there.

I erred on the side of the others who decided to send the contents of their wallets instead.

Something that spooks me on that front ...

Every single time I do that even more more money than I gave away seems to fall into my lap from somewhere I didn't expect it.

Admittedly I'm in a position where random money may appear without warning ..

The closeness of the timing twix dolling a bit out and more rolling in is, as I say, a bit 'spooky' though.

Reactions: KLS52