Post a Chart/Graph/Map/Infographic/Etc.

An obstetrician told me that some year end babies are induced partially motivated by tax incentives. That appears not to be contradicted here.

Reactions: ledboots
An obstetrician told me that some year end babies are induced partially motivated by tax incentives. That appears not to be contradicted here.
Yes, they do this all the time, and it's stupid; we end up with more c sections because the induction fails, and more babies born with breathing difficulty because they weren't ready.

Nine months after a hurricane, huge spike in births. Condoms in the hurricane preparedness kits, people!! :D

tumblr_mnbl4mYRRu1r5j2gro1_1280.jpg

My new gig has paid vacations and paid Thanksgiving and Christmas, and any hours I work on those two days are time-and-a-half.

What is the difference between paid vacation and paid holidays?

Holidays are like Xmas where everybody gets the day off or can reserve the time for later or work and get extra pay. Vacation time is the accrued leave or leave time granted at the beginning of the year to be used at will.

Holidays are like Xmas where everybody gets the day off or can reserve the time for later (like Xmas) or work and get extra pay. Vacation time is the accrued leave or leave time granted at the beginning of the year to be used at will.

Oh I see, I had to look up UK holiday entitlement to work out why bank holidays don't count - apparently they don't have to be given as paid leave, instead they can be included in the 28 days paid vacation. Which I think is how is usually works actually... it's normal to have 20 days + 8 bank holidays, but more if you're lucky :)

Can't believe it's 0 in the US. That sucks.

Workers in the US get a certain number of holidays off, such as Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, etc. but apparently there's no federal law requiring workers to be paid for those days, unless they work those days. Whether or not workers are paid for taking off federal holidays is entirely up to their employers.

At the hospital where I worked between 1983 and 1997, there were some holidays I had to work. Since they were paid holidays, I got double time when I worked those days.

Oh I see, I had to look up UK holiday entitlement to work out why bank holidays don't count - apparently they don't have to be given as paid leave, instead they can be included in the 28 days paid vacation. Which I think is how is usually works actually... it's normal to have 20 days + 8 bank holidays, but more if you're lucky :)

Can't believe it's 0 in the US. That sucks.

It's misleading, but it reflects the class divide in the US. Part-timers and non-professionals are the hardest hit and they aren't a small population. Not that it compensates, but they also tend to be eligible for overtime pay for working over 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week or on holidays (at a markup in most cases). It is unfortunate that vacation time isn't mandatory.

With the exception of a few part-time jobs, I have always had paid vacation time, even for unskilled work. I presently get 13 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation and exercise an option to "buy" an extra 2.5 weeks of leave by surrendering 5% of my salary.

We have no paid holidays (as in days off with pay) but there are holidays the store is closed so no one works (no pay) and we get personal time off that accrues. I think I get four weeks per year.

Workers in the US get a certain number of holidays off, such as Christmas Day, New Year's Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, etc.

Not all workers get holidays off.
Some who work holidays get extra pay and/or comp time, but I know many people who work on federal holidays and only get their normal wage with no comp time.

Not all workers get holidays off.
Some who work holidays get extra pay and/or comp time, but I know many people who work on federal holidays and only get their normal wage with no comp time.

In what states?

Having to work on holidays isn't unique to the US, BTW, it exists in the UK, too.