Suggestions for vegan things to do

Graeme M

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm hoping to write a blog post soon about simple things people can do that reflect vegan ethics. I'd be interested in suggestions, especially things that everyday folk can do that don't have to be about strict adherence to veganism. I know about the usual big concerns, but wondered if people have ideas about everyday stuff, even for non-vegans. For example, supporting animal charities, buying ethically produced goods, etc.

Reactions: Second Summer
I suppose one everyday activity could be participating in online communities to help support people interested in veganism. But you probably already thought about that.

Or writing blog posts!

Maybe putting out food for wild animals in certain situations. For example, after forest fires, or to help particular species that struggle with humans invading their habitats.

There is also an ongoing bird flu epidemic, at least here in Europe, so wild birds could probably need all the help they can get at the moment. Although, you may inadvertently be spreading bird flu if lots of birds come to the same place for food ... Though, maybe you can take the food to places where they're gathering anyway? Probably best to seek info about that from a bird charity.

If you have a garden, then I'm sure there are things you could do to make it a haven for wild animals. Where we live, a lot of farm land is currently being turned into housing estates, which is unfortunate especially for the wild animals who used to live on the farm land. I see some people put out food for foxes at night. (Our dog thinks it's for him ...)

Hedgehogs are also in trouble because of all the houses, roads and traffic. There are ways to help hedgehogs, both by making sure you don't obstruct their paths through your garden, and by putting out food. Wild animal charities probably give the best advice on how to help hedgehogs.

Thanks for those thoughts, I especially like the idea of being more aware of local wildlife. Here where I live, we had a terrible drought a few years ago and many locals were putting out water bowls and food for wildlife which was very encouraging to see.

Reactions: Brian W and PTree15