Porridge not filling

CocoaBanana

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Found a previous thread discussing this, but as it's been inactive since 2019, I'm hoping I'm alright to post another and revive the topic (I'm new to forums, so please politely inform me if I should in fact be reviving that thread instead of starting a new one).

I'm wondering if anyone else finds that porridge doesn't keep them full for as long as it 'should'.

By porridge, I mean:
- 3 heaped tbsp of jumbo oats
- 200ml of pea milk (sadly I'm intolerant to soy)
- 1 tbsp of milled flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 banana
- 80g of berries
- 1 tsp of nut butter

If I have this seemingly substantial (and very tasty) meal for breakfast, I'm hungry again within one and a half hours - properly hungry, not just snack-hungry. Seems to be less of an issue if I have it for lunch or dinner, but still doesn't fill me up for as long as I'd expect it to. I don't have this problem with any other balanced meals, so I'm thinking it's either that oats don't fill me up like other carbs, or it's that I'm having fruit instead of vegetables, since my other meals are always vegetable-based.

Any thoughts/input appreciated!

Cheers

Found a previous thread discussing this, but as it's been inactive since 2019, I'm hoping I'm alright to post another and revive the topic (I'm new to forums, so please politely inform me if I should in fact be reviving that thread instead of starting a new one).

I'm wondering if anyone else finds that porridge doesn't keep them full for as long as it 'should'.

By porridge, I mean:
- 3 heaped tbsp of jumbo oats
- 200ml of pea milk (sadly I'm intolerant to soy)
- 1 tbsp of milled flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 banana
- 80g of berries
- 1 tsp of nut butter

If I have this seemingly substantial (and very tasty) meal for breakfast, I'm hungry again within one and a half hours - properly hungry, not just snack-hungry. Seems to be less of an issue if I have it for lunch or dinner, but still doesn't fill me up for as long as I'd expect it to. I don't have this problem with any other balanced meals, so I'm thinking it's either that oats don't fill me up like other carbs, or it's that I'm having fruit instead of vegetables, since my other meals are always vegetable-based.

Cheers

Hello there. It’s always more useful to bump up a former thread with the same/similar title as we try to dissuade members to post duplicate threads for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
‘Former’. My very old iPhone is simply awful and is giving me a hard time to be able to type/correct etc. Missing my iMac!

The somewhat obvious solution and definitely the first and best thing to try is increasing the serving size.
For now just increase the size of the portions of the oats and milk. Maybe by 1.5

The recipe I use is a heaping half cup of oats and one cup milk.

you could also increase the size of the portion of nut butter. 2 tbsp would be a good start. You could even go up to 3 or 4.

Cheers

I have lots of thoughts on this and I believe I have solved the issue, at least for myself.

Number one solution for me is to add proteins - on the weekends with my steel cut oats I add about a 1/4-1/3 cup of rinsed split red lentils and on week days when I microwave rolled oats I add soy curl crumbs or small pieces (TVP or some other kind of small crumble would work also).

Also I add a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter powder and a bit of salt.

Here is the entire list of what I put in my week day oatmeal:

1/3-1/2 cup rolled oats
1 medjool date
1/3-1/2 cup soy curl crumbs
tablespoon of molasses
lots of water so that it is literally a swimming pool for the oats and soy curl crumbs
(this then goes into the microwave for 2 minutes in my bowl)
then I add about a cup or so of frozen berries and put it in the microwave for another 2 minutes
then I sprinkle on top 2 tablespoons of ground flax, 2 tablespoons of peanut butter powder, a 1/2 teaspoon of dark cocoa powder, a few shakes of cayenne pepper, and the same amount of tumeric/pepper, 1/4 tsp of vit c powder, 2 teaspoons of Schinoussa greens powder and then mix all of this together (it should be moist enough still to absorb all the peanut butter powder and ground flax)
then I chop a banana on top, cinnamon on the banana sliced, and sprinkle small handful of walnuts and raw pumpkins seed
I then mix it all up again and enjoy

My bowl is a pasta bowl and it is full when ready to eat and I usually eat it around 12:30-1 pm (having only had coffee up until then) and it keeps me quite satisfied dinner time.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: Col and Lou
BTW,
we have a very comprehensive thread that you should check out for more ideas and recipes

And...
I'm not saying this is what is happening to you, but something to keep in mind.
The only "craving" that is reliable is thirst.
Being hungry is not always to be trusted. There is lots of reasons for being hungry besides needing something to eat. You could just need a glass of water. Some are psychological. Also it's now known that the bacteria in your gut can send out signals for you to eat more.
If you are eating enough and still feeling hungry - just ignore it. Sometimes just having a glass of water is all you need.

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
Hello there. It’s always more useful to bump up a firmer thread with the same/similar title as we try to dissuade members to post duplicate threads for obvious reasons.

Thanks, I'll do that in future.

And...
Being hungry is not always to be trusted. There is lots of reasons for being hungry besides needing something to eat. You could just need a glass of water. Some are psychological. Also it's now known that the bacteria in your gut can send out signals for you to eat more.
If you are eating enough and still feeling hungry - just ignore it. Sometimes just having a glass of water is all you need.
This doesn't sound right to me. If you drink enough water to stay hydrated, eat mostly whole or minimally processed foods which are very hard to unknowingly overeat (I realise most people don't eat this way, but I imagine a lot of users of this forum do), and can recognise the difference between hunger and thirst, there's no reason not to trust your own hunger signals.

Thanks for your other input though, I'll have a look at that recipe thread.

Reactions: Lou
This doesn't sound right to me.
I DID say, "I'm not saying this is what is happening to you, "

It's just something to be aware of.

However, it's not uncommon. I've experienced first hand, witnessed in others and many articles have been published documenting this.
Google something like "hunger cues" or "hunger signals". Its not something I just made up.
If you drink enough water to stay hydrated, eat mostly whole or minimally processed foods which are very hard to unknowingly overeat (I realise most people don't eat this way, but I imagine a lot of users of this forum do), and can recognise the difference between hunger and thirst, there's no reason not to trust your own hunger signals.
Eating right does reduce the chances of this happening. And like you said, most people don't. But that is just the first half of it. There are other factors. Like conditioning.
Thanks for your other input though, I'll have a look at that recipe thread.
You're welcome. and welcome back

And...
When you routinely eat wfpb the feeling of hunger is mostly reliable, however, people do differ in when that feeling hits
As much as I've tried to eat more early in the day, it takes very little for me to want to stop eating. Later afternoon through pretty much bedtime I want to eat so much more!

I will add to this thread that maybe try oat groats, or at least pin head/steel cut oats rather than the typical rolled oats

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou