Popular paleo diet linked to higher levels of biomarker for heart disease

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Finally.... the articles are coming out....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/popul...vels-of-biomarker-for-heart-disease-1.4522379

Popular paleo diet linked to higher levels of biomarker for heart disease

Those who try to eat like our ancestors may end up joining them faster: a new study says that followers of the popular paleo diet have twice the amount of a blood biomarker connected to heart disease.

Trimethylamine-n-oxide (TMAO) is an organic compound created in the gut during metabolism, and has been associated with increased risk of heart disease.

An Australian study published this month in the European Journal of Nutrition examined the level of TMAO in the blood of 44 paleo diet followers and 47 people who followed a diet closer to national food recommendations, in order to contrast the levels of TMAO between the two groups.

Click on the link above for the whole article.

Emma JC

Reactions: Dizzy and mavrick45

Everyone i know who does this diet becomes unwell, sometimes you can see it on them before they feel it, others feel it before we can see it...

Reactions: Emma JC
I am looking forward to listening to this. I am a rather isolated vegetarian, and feel I am surrounded by this stuff. If I have to hear about how "deeply nourished" someone feels after drinking their bone broth..... Its hard because I don't have a lot of other plant-oriented eaters aroudn me.

Reactions: Emma JC
IMHO, Paleo is the stupidest diet.
I think Colleen Patrick Goudreau said it best.

Simply by virtue of the fact that what we know that we can survive – and actually THRIVE – on a plant-based diet and have no nutritional requirements for the flesh or fluids of animals — that we have no need to kill animals for our own survival, means that we need to take a hard look at our excuses for killing over 10 billion animals in this country alone every year.​
I say that I believe the real reason we kill and eat animals is simply because we can, and that’s just not good enough. Just because we can doesn’t mean we should. Just because we once did doesn’t mean we always have to. Once we know better, I think we have the obligation and responsibility to do things better?​

The emphasis is mine.

- https://www.colleenpatrickgoudreau.com/just-because-we-can-do-something-doesnt-mean-we-should/