Poorly Goomer

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
As some of you may have seen, my beautiful 12 year old cat Goomer, has been poorly the past month with diarrhoea.
Thought I would update.
We made some improvement with the vets prescription wet food, but symptoms still unresolved. The vets have reassured me that if it is food related it can sometimes take 6-12 weeks to clear up. We are introducing the dry food version of what she is on incase her diet is 'too wet'.
As she does not seem unwell at all, if anything she is a bit restless and hyper we have done a blood test for her thyroid function which should be back today. I hope it's positive as I just want a diagnosis with a good prognosis. Though it doesn't seem too likely as she doesn't have many other symptoms of an over active thyroid.
Interestingly today though I noticed her go to her litter tray and scratch around (making a right racket like she does when she wees) but when I went to change it there was nothing there. About 5 mins later she did the same thing. Still nothing. But did find a tiny poo (solid) about 10 feet away.
I'm wondering if she is having trouble urinating :-s
Hopefully will be able to discuss this with the vet when he calls with her blood results today xxx

Good luck...will be waiting to hear the update. I hope you can get some answers...so frustrating for you. (((hug)))

Thanks. I really either need her better or at least started on treatment for whatever it is soon as I am going away for 2 weeks in March and the friend that was going to have her whilst I'm away seems reluctant to whilst she's not well :-( xxx

Not anymore. She had the initially when we thought it was a tummy bug that would go in a few days. They were just to ease her stomach. She also had some of this wet food to keep her hydrated. It's a sensitivity control one. The two combined helped her symptoms but then as we ended the probiotic paste and introduced her old food back in her symptoms came back.
The vet wants me to try 4-6 weeks of the food only to see if it's that. It made an improvement, but 4 weeks in and symptoms have deff not resolved.
I've now got to add the dry version of the food in to try bung her up a bit.
She's not having any of it though lol, she wants the wet stuff! Xxx

IME, cats with sensitive digestive systems benefit from being on probiotics continuously. That is true currently for my Sylvester, who has IBS, and for Kitter, who is very sensitive and whose stress often manifests itself in diarrhea.

If Goomer was doing better on probiotics and the special food, is there any reason why she can't be kept on both?

I think the vet just wanted to see if it was purely diet related. I'm not sure about what the paste really was. Maybe she can't be on it now until we have excluded other causes in case it's covering an underlying problem?
I might see if we can try it again though and see if she can have it long term. Does it work out quite expensive? Xxx

This is what I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Probiotics--Probiotic-Miracle-Dogs/dp/B002V0NX2O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360625301&sr=8-2&keywords=probiotic miracle

It's also available in a larger size, 360 servings, for $39.99. That's a year's supply for one cat for $40.

It's just a probiotic - helps keep the balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system - like eating yoghurt with beneficiak bacteria. No harmful side effects at all.

Wow thank you. Will ask the vet about trying her again on the probiotic. If that resolves the symptoms then its likely just IBS right? If not then something more serious I'd imagine.

This gives me some hope now though. Thanks :) xxx

Well, probiotics, together with a limited ingredient diet (it's a matter of avoiding anything that irritates the digestive tract) usually keeps IBS under control.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Not anymore. She had the initially when we thought it was a tummy bug that would go in a few days. They were just to ease her stomach. She also had some of this wet food to keep her hydrated. It's a sensitivity control one. The two combined helped her symptoms but then as we ended the probiotic paste and introduced her old food back in her symptoms came back.
The vet wants me to try 4-6 weeks of the food only to see if it's that. It made an improvement, but 4 weeks in and symptoms have deff not resolved.
I've now got to add the dry version of the food in to try bung her up a bit.
She's not having any of it though lol, she wants the wet stuff! Xxx

Bless the little mite. She is like most humans and doesn't want to change her eating habits.;)

I'm only giving her the wet food for breakfast and when I get in from work. I'm leaving plenty of dry food and fresh water down during the day.
She's refusing to eat the dry food though so we have inadvertently fasted slight, which has resulted in a nice solid poo today! Xxx

Reactions: KLS52