US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this from Trump on his own website

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

10/13/21

If we don’t solve the Presidential Election Fraud of 2020 (which we have thoroughly and conclusively documented), Republicans will not be voting in ‘22 or ‘24. It is the single most important thing for Republicans to do.

Not going to get too excited about this. I expect he is just using this for bargaining within the Republican party and conservative movement and will reverse it later.

However, if you know any hardcore Trump voters, use this against them between now and 2022 elections. Reminding them that Trump said not to vote

Not going to get too excited about this. I expect he is just using this for bargaining within the Republican party and conservative movement and will reverse it later.

However, if you know any hardcore Trump voters, use this against them between now and 2022 elections. Reminding them that Trump said not to vote

I can't remember where I heard this but someone was saying that Trumpists have slipped the leash. one piece of evidence is when they booed trump when he told them to get vaccinated (they booed Pence, too).

Perhaps like our friendly vegan anarchist here, they are just against everything now. They won't vote, they won't get the vaccine, they won't wear masks.....

Reactions: Amy SF
Do you know the context of this speech? was it prompted by a current event?

Do you know the context of this speech? was it prompted by a current event?
Well heck Lou ,I am just a outsider looking in .
But US politics seem to have moved to very partisan in views .
If you don’t agree with my view you are automatically lumped into a group that has so and so views.
Must add ,I don’t vote .

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: shyvas
WTFlip and why do I keep getting texts and emails from his people 😡
548D8427-904A-43A0-B50A-5BBB56BE861C.png

WTFlip and why do I keep getting texts and emails from his people

First time I've seen WTFlip in writing.

I've gotten some of those too. Since I've occasionally donated to campaigns I get a lot of email sort of like that. Some I've unsubscribed to and some I just delete.

Reactions: KLS52
Well we kicked Trump out of the White House, but I don't know how we are ever going to get rid of the Trumpers.
Maybe if there was some disease and the rest of us could get vaccinated but we could spread some kind of conspiracy theory so that the Trumpers wouldn't want the vaccine.

No photo description available.

Well written article.

really like this imagery

In 2018, halfway through the Trump presidency, Michelle Alexander wrote a powerful essay arguing that we are not the resistance. We, she declared, are the mighty river they are trying to dam. I see it flowing, and I see the tributaries that pour into it and swell its power, and I see that once firmly grounded statues and assumptions have become flotsam in its current.​

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks for this, that's from Rebecca Solnit, as you may know and we may have discussed before even, of the article and book "men explain things to me" which later led to the term mansplaining.

In Chile at the moment the river of change has been overflowing, and the dam builders are losing - we have marriage equality legislation just passed, a left wing President just elected, and a new constitution being written. For more on Chile, see my blog of last night Chile Moves Left

However in the US, from my outsider's perspective it still feel like the dam is holding back the river at the moment and not only that but it is a minority of people stopping the majority of the people that would be happy to let the river flow. Build Back Better is probably supported by the majority, but a minority of people, including Republican senators, rich businessmen, and Joe Manchin, get to decide to shut it down.

Scientific research has been done that can predict who a person votes for fairly well based on some very simple experiments measuring fear and disgust reaction to photos. It may be that fear and resistance to change is the key difference between left and right (I often tend to think this way, even though there are other equally valid ways to separate people).

I may have said this before (not a good enough memory sadly to keep track of what I've said and when and where but I suspect there will be some repetition of previous ideas here) but I sometimes think the job of people on the left of society is to suggest the new ideas and the job of people on the right is to filter out the bad ideas. It would be nice if the people on the left were to acknowledge that they have had some bad ideas which might include communism, defund the police, cancel culture and implicitly open borders for example (in my view, we might disagree on the specifics) and to thank the right for calling them out. If it wasn't for the healthy fear of conservatives, we probably would have gone extinct after being eaten by lions on the plains of Africa.

It would also be nice if the right were to understand their job in society is not to reject almost every single idea and not to value tradition as something positive in itself. At the moment in the US it feels like the right is out to block every new idea from the left just because it is an idea from the left.

Overall I think humanity is a little too resistant to change. Any country that requires laws to be passed through two political chambers AND agreed to by the President is creating a situation of minority rule over the majority, and resistance to change by default.

It's time for people in the US to take to the streets and demand that policies supported by more people than oppose them should be implemented, not blocked by a senator who wants to protect his coal shares. Either that or more devolution of power to regions/states as I've discussed elsewhere.

Well written article.

really like this imagery

In 2018, halfway through the Trump presidency, Michelle Alexander wrote a powerful essay arguing that we are not the resistance. We, she declared, are the mighty river they are trying to dam. I see it flowing, and I see the tributaries that pour into it and swell its power, and I see that once firmly grounded statues and assumptions have become flotsam in its current.​

Quite right, the country is descending into authoritarianism, as is the natural course of all governments, I wager if nothing is done we will live in a surveillance state where the governments governs every aspect of your life right down to what foods you eat and what cloths you wear by 2060. As one of the best presidents in American history, Thomas Jefferson said: "From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots".

Status
Not open for further replies.