US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The campaign is complete. The election is a done deal. The Inauguration was great.

Time to move on.

I liked having a place to talk politics and news for the last year or so.
I'm proposing for those of you like minded souls to come visit here and have discussions.

I hadn't realized that the QAnon folks had today as a red letter day. They had predictions about what would happen today. And they didn't happen.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part but maybe now they will disappear.

Reactions: Dedalus
We can all breath a little easier today.
There is a good list at the end of the article.

Reactions: Dedalus and Emma JC
The campaign is complete. The election is a done deal. The Inauguration was great.

Time to move on.

I'm proposing for those of you like minded souls to come visit here and have discussions.
I think Joe Biden is a good man, and his Vice President a good woman. Good luck America, after four years of being in the grip of evil. I hope we soon find someone good to lead the UK because our current Prime Minister is little more than a mini Trump.

Time to move on.

I just hope Biden doesn't mandate vaccines!

I am rejoicing i had to leave several religous stuff today was tired to seeing them protest still. I feel at ease what happened today glad we got some people working on our country.

I'm not surprised this came up. I am very surprised it came up on day one.

I'm not sure the Democrats can or should gut the filibuster. However I don't think they should protect it either.
Being able to modify the current rules of the filibuster is a great threat that Democrats can keep in their hip pockets. It says, "work with us to get things done, or we will get things done without you."

Reactions: Emma JC
We may need a separate thread for this. Everybody is making Bernie Sanders memes.

But really - gotta love those mittens.

Here is one form a DeadHead

w94kf9ww2kc61.jpg

There are already enough cross checks I think with two houses and I think the President also involved in proposing/signing bills. A requirement for a 60-40 majority in the senate in addition to that is more of a block to progress than a healthy thing. The filibuster can be used by the powerful to block the interests of the majority.

Getting rid of the the filibuster is risky for democrats because this 2 senators per state rule inherently favours Republicans so there is a fairly high chance that Republicans will end up with the control of the senate in the future. However, from the democrats perspective, I think this is a risk worth taking. They will feel pretty silly if they use this argument to not remove the filibuster, miss the chance to pass their legislative agenda, and then the Republicans themselves remove it later on.

Also, if the filibuster is removed the democrats can add DC as a state (which will vote Democrat) and Puerto Rico (which might vote Democrat) to offset some of that future Republican advantage.

The world desperately needs the US senate to approve a climate change bill including a large carbon tax, and to be able to pass through the senate any international climate change deals. With the filibuster in place, I don't think we can get serious change, only a slight shift which won't be enough to prevent catastrophic climate change. And we have got to deal with climate change, so I think the filibuster has to go.

(Another option, although not my preferred one, is for Biden to sit down with leading Republicans and say look, my three top priorities are x, y and z. If any of those bills get filibustered, we will eliminate the filibuster. Push those three through and we'll leave it in.)

I’m embarrassed to say this but I don’t get the Bernie memes. What do they mean?!?!?! 🤦🏻‍♀️:iiam::???::shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.